1. If you can't use the support forum then you can contact the admin for support via "admin@theforumwheel.com".
    Dismiss Notice

Please do not extend posts artificially

Discussion in 'The Forum Wheel' started by vij, Oct 16, 2016.

1. vij

vij Member

I notice some members extend and draw out posts like below. Things that can be said in 20 words are put in 100.
    Looks stupid and unnatural. Why would anyone write like this? Please do not do this.

shadowpope17 and KenBrace like this.
  2. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member

I agree that it looks unnatural when you are over stretching your sentences and repeating the same thing like that "I think Forza Horizon is my favourite racing game" which was written like three times. It feels out of place.

I am just a bit concerned myself because I tend to write long posts. My sibling writes one-liners straight to the point, I tend to extend myself in my posts. I want to make sure what I say comes across clearly.

In your example, you reduce the reasoning "of there were so many different types of events and races [...] Another reason [...] is because the atmosphere of exploring, going to the events and racing with other players" into "because of the realistic aspect" which in my opinion oversimplifies the opinion into something that the original post might not even mean.

I hope my posts are not coming across as odd since I pretty much post like this everywhere I go being my own communities or not.

3. Cheeaka

Cheeaka Well-Known Member

Hello, I'd like to add my 2 cents to what you are saying here (although I haven't even been 'approved' as a writer on Forum Wheel yet, lol).

I like what you're saying about how sometimes things can seem oversimplified in certain aspects if posts are not, shall we say, expounded upon and cut short, just for the sake of seeming 'natural'. Natural to whom? My natural might not be the same as the next person's natural (but I would be remiss if I don't admit that some people seem to lay it on thick just to create a longer post).

Like you, I tend to write long posts. My "work" is on several forums that are registered here at the Forum Wheel, and many of my posts are lengthy because that is naturally how I express myself.

To me, the person in the OP's comment just seems like he (or she) is passionate about gaming. Also, one must take into consideration that some people are just naturally better writers than others.

Kaynil likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Maybe a requirement moving forward, would be that forum owners HAVE to stipulate exactly how much they want from a post in the site rules before the forum goes live on here. At lest 10 words, 2 sentences, a 4 line paragraph...that kind of thing. There does have to be a balance though, and for what the forum owners are paying, they can't expect 250 word articles either at the same time. I've written on forums for a while now, both paid and unpaid, and I can spot a paid post as opposed to just a regular unpaid members just by looking at it and so I'm sure that others can as well.

Another thing though when it comes to forum owners saying they want 'natural' content that as to be a certain length, it means it isn't a natural post on a forum anymore, as members don't usually write posts that are that long when discussing something. Posts on a forum usually are straight to the point and direct but because we are being paid for our posts and being told they HAVE to be a set length people are trying too hard maybe? I fully understand that forum owners want more bang for their buck so to speak, but sometimes less is more, and a short 2 or 3 line post that is informative and interacts with the other members on that thread is worth more than a 10 line essay that goes around the houses and barely makes a valid point.

Jasmin Cottontail and vij like this.
  5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Precisely. As much as I would like to admit, I'm not sure if I does this. Like making my posts longer wherein it can be shorter and can be as informative and comprehensive as the long one. Well in any cases I do this, it's simply because I follow rules from a certain forum since we are getting paid to post just like what @pwarbi mentioned.

Might as well I would like to share my experience with Christian Forums. I received a new rating and I got disappointed when I received a 4.0 just because I have some posts which are less than 50 words. I know it's their rules however, I'm done with my posts limit and what I did was just answer replies from different threads which can't be more than 50 words since I was just thanking them for answering my query or asking them questions which won't make any sense if I make it longer. Most of their rules is to "be natural" right?

I'm not complaining or anything since I do love writing and we're being paid however, there are some rules that might be confusing like "make longer posts and be natural" as well as "interact with other members" altogether that in some cases, writers can't simply express what they want to say without making it longer while being natural, you know what I'm saying? :(

pwarbi and Kaynil like this.