IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

A song that brings back childhood memories?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Raffy Mark, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Raffy Mark

Raffy Mark New Member

It is well known that sounds, smells, and tastes can trigger memories from times long forgotten! :)

Sometimes it's a cake that your grandma used to make, sometimes that special earthy smell before the rain, but how about a song? Is there any song that instantly puts you back in more simple times when you didn't care about anything?

Can you remember what medium you heard it on for the first time? Maybe it was an audio tape or radio?

In my case, it's Zombie by Cranberries! I heard it on the radio in the early 00s.Every time I hear it I get overwhelmed by emotions and memories! And boy am I glad about that! :)

How about you?

hotshot531 likes this.
  2. hotshot531

hotshot531 New Member

Zombie by the cranberries definitely brings back some memories for me as well. Most older songs that I really loved when I was younger make me stop and think of who I was when I first heard it. One that snaps me back to being a child is "Longview" by Green Day. I instantly think of the block I grew up and all the neighborhood kids, I can see the summer streets already.

A song that makes me really reflect on life in particular my childhood is "Seasons in The Sun" by Terry Jacks. It's a bittersweet song for me, I think about on the people I won't be able to see anymore and the hardships I dealt. At the same time it makes me think about how happy I was despite all that and all the people I loved.

3. Cherry

Cherry New Member

Music is inspiring and uplifting and a good food to our soul and as such since my childhood I have been a great lover of good music, memories of music from my childhood lingers forever.

I remember Michael Jackson songs with nostalgia, the bring back good memories. A song like Heal the world will remain evergreen and in my heart. I sing the song almost everyday and it brings back childhood memories.

4. AlisaTR

AlisaTR New Member

Wow, I have recorded so many life events by music that just reading this initial post sent me on a walk down memory lane, reflecting on a similar time.

There are several childhood memories that I can refer to, but I'll choose two: Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares to You and MC Hammer's Too Legit to Quit.

In 1990, I was a nine-year old child on the island of Trinidad when there was an upheaval in my country, one that I couldn't fully understand as a child. At the time, my dad was preparing to travel to the United States on business and we were driving on our way to the airport when the news came over the airwaves that the airports had been closed. No one would be flying out or coming in to the country for a couple of days. After the announcement was made, there was a somber silence in the car. None of the adults spoke and the fear in the car was so palpable I felt like I could reach out and touch it. And there was a long pause on the radio before a song started to play. When it did, it was this sad, haunting song: "It's been seven hours and fifteen days, Since you took your love away... I go out every night and sleep all day, Since you took your love away..."
    For years after, whenever I heard the song, I would remember that car drive and I would remember wanting to press my head to the car window and cry.

MC Hammer's Too Legit to Quit was a feel-good song which I first heard on our little, yellow, battery-operated radio. We had no electricity when I was growing up, and so the little radio was the only entertainment we had. The music on that radio was tinny, but it was our life, and as a family, we used to all just sing and dance together. Whenever I hear MC Hammer, I remember my mom, young and vibrant, body bent low and arms thrown wide as she endeavored to show us, her children, that she was too legit to quit!

5. dayunior27

dayunior27 New Member

The songs that brings me back to my childhood days are the songs that something 'memoriable'. That songs that we can't hear now these days. That songs that really nostalgic, just like 90's. For me, from 90's and 2000's songs that brings me to my childhood, both local and international.

On my childhood days, the songs that can use for dancing is nostalgic, unlike these days that can use for clubbing. For local songs, the songs from 'The Eraserheads', 'Rivermaya', 'PNE' and more, are the songs that really 'nostalgic'. I also remembered the Micheal Jackson's songs, that is so famous on that time, along with other international artists.

6. Kimie Kate Majait

Kimie Kate Majait New Member

I have these songs which is popular way back during my childhood days and it is already out of trend in today's generation. I guess you don't know these songs so I will not be going to mention it anymore. Anyway, I still play and hear these songs until now because I have a lot of unforgettable childhood memories. There are some times that these songs are our group of friends' all-time favorite songs. In fact, we did a dance version of it and we dance it happily like a cheerful kids. Today, as I listening to these songs, I can't help but to smile in remembering our old times together, our bonding and all those moments we share as a group.

7. birdman100

birdman100 New Member

dear mom from 2pac brings back childhood memories every time i listen to it it makes me think about my mom and also feel better even doe all the lyrics don't match to her personality