IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Abortion

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Persona, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Persona

Persona New Member

A contentious issue.

Abortion...thoughts?

I am for it in any case. I do not buy into the foetal rights or 'has a soul' spiel. Nor do I believe a non-sentient, non-pain feeling being has more rights than that of the mother carrying it. If a woman has an abortion that is up to her. She is not a 'murderer' in doing so. She has not killed a born individual that can think, feel, etc. She has stopped something growing into the latter. Abortions are rarely done where the foetus is fully formed and able to feel pain, let alone think.

Plus with the over population problem I think unwanted pregnancies (accidents happen - even with birth control) should be dealt with this way more often. There are enough children in orphanages already. We do not need more.

2. paola

paola New Member

I'm against abortion (when you have sex for pleasure), I guess that if you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex, because even with contraceptives methods, you can get pregnant. So if you want to enjoy sex, you have to know the consequences and be responsible for those and assume it. If you don't want to raise the baby, that's ok, there are many options besides the abortion, sex is responsibility, even if the baby have a genetic malformation. The thing only change when the women was rape, she does not have to put her body for all of that when the sex wasn't for pleasure and it wasn't her responsibility.

3. Decentlady

Decentlady New Member

Albeit! Always a debatable topic. The best approach probably would be that of leaving the decision to the individual or couple involved. Rather than making it a national law, decisions that incorporates an emotional twist should be individualised.

Whether to carry forward a pregnancy or not and the reasons behind are usually variable and so a black and white approach is not justifiable. It is worthy to note that every law that is made by a government has a strong observation, research and beneficial reasons for their citizens but nonetheless, it may not cater for every individual's satisfaction.

4. Alex Marasco

Alex Marasco New Member

I am for abortion, and I have been for a long time now. I believe women deserve the choice of whether or not she wants a child.

I also tend to think about the child him/herself. If a woman knows she is not ready (or prepared) for motherhood, the offspring should not suffer with the consequences of poor parenting. A mother is a big responsibility and it shapes the child into who they are as they age. No child should have to live with a mother who does not fully care for, or even love, them. Those type of children are at a high risk of poor futures filled with poor decisions. If a woman is self-aware that she is not ready, let her get an abortion.

5. ronarona832

ronarona832 New Member

Abortion, then--the willful and violent killing of an unborn human being--is homicide. By this neutral term I mean simply the killing of a human. We talk if accidental and deliberate and justifiable homicides. Is there such a thing as a justifiable abortion? Here I would argue that if we claim any honesty we must hew to the same principles in evaluating abortion as govern our judgements on any other form of homicide.

Some maintain that all deliberate killing is wrong. Better, they argue, to accept violence at the hands of others than to wake up weapons and end ourselves as death-dealers. Others, likewise committed to life, would say that homicide could be justified under certain conditions ti protect oneself or some innocent third party from mortal, undeserved attack. On the latter view it might be justifiable to destroy a child were that clearly the only way to save his or her mother's life. But there is no consistent responsible moral way, from either point of view, to justify the killing of innocent offspring to relieve his or her elders of any inconvenience, no matter how severe the distress.

My argument is straightforward. Abortion is homicide--the destruction if a child. Save for the rare, rare instance when it is mortal threat to a mother's life to carry her child to birth, there is no abortion that is not the unjust taking of another's life because it is a burden to one's own.

6. jaymish

jaymish New Member

This is nobody’s business but the person having the abortion. No one has the right to tell me what I can do with my body. I am strongly pro-choice.

From a woman’s perspective, anyone who makes a choice to have an abortion does not do so lightly. Normally the woman’s life is in danger and she has other children, she may not be able to care of the child, the child may be severely disabled e.t.c

In my opinion, most pro-life advocates are men yet they have never given birth to a child or been in a position where they are forced to make such a hard decision.I would say live and let live.

7. mae.espra

mae.espra New Member

I am against abortion. This is the most saddest and tragic part that the person would do. The baby deserves to live. He/she has the right not to be treated that way.

Most of the cases abortion came up is that they came unexpected and was not even planned. Both partners, once engaged in sexual intercourse, have to think ahead of time what will be the following circumstances. There is no certain excuses that the unborn babies have to faced abortion as a collateral for the unreasonable reasons of parents who are not yet ready.

Abortion is completely immoral and inhumane. There should be a law designated for that. God clearly stated in his commandments that "You shall not kill". It is punishable by law. I am still confused why there are countries who allowed abortion.

8. wanyonyi chrispin

wanyonyi chrispin New Member

Abortion is a crime. That is what it should be. It is a pity that many cases of arbotion goes unpunished,but arbotion should be looked at as being immoral and an act of brutality. It is intensional murder and should be treated as any other murder case.

A shocking survey indicates that many arbotions are being carried out even by qualified medical practitioners,in hospitals in fact. If only we had strict measures in place to make sure that we stop this murdering of innoccent souls!
    Abortion also exposes those who undergo it unsafely to danger. We have had cases of women dying during arbotion,or even experiencing complications in there later lives due to boached abortions.

life is sacred,the Bible tells us so. Lets keep life sacred by avoiding abortion at all costs.

9. Rmarsh1984

Rmarsh1984 New Member

I have always been pro choice. Even after having my own children, I still am. I do believe that it should be something discussed between the man and woman involved, the woman shouldn't leave him out of the decision making process (unless in the case of rape).
    Making it illegal to have an abortion will be detrimental to the health of those who seek it. These women, those who feel it necessary to seek out the procedure in the first place often feel desperate enough that they could seriously injur themselves trying to end the pregnancy themselves. Also, forcing her to raise a child she may not be ready to raise, causes the child in question's wellbeing to be at stake. The mother may resent the child for taking away her freedom. There is added financial pressure, maturity levels (teen moms), lack of familial support, among other factors that may be taken out on the child, or at very least, do not give the child the best chances for a good future.
    Forcing poverty on a mother who finds herself single once the baby is born and is not receiving help from the father, if punishing both the mother for having natural desires, as well as the child just because they were carried to term. It isn't fair to make that decision for anyone but yourself.

10. Dianah08

Dianah08 New Member

I am for abortion anyways irrespective of what others thinks or how religion calls it a sin, abortion is when there is a willful stop to the growth of a foetus by the parent, religions that castigates this act also implicate themselves by allowing a couple go through the process if they don't like the sex of the child or if they can't take care of the child. Why allow a couple seek for abortion if a person in a relationship or is not in one cannot seek for it too, that's like allowing people who are married have an upper hand. The society have sees abortion as a wrong thing to do then why do they complain of over population and issues birth control pills, that is why earlier stated that the society is contradicting it's on believe, is just like saying yes and no at the same time.

My take on abortion is very simple, why give birth to a child that is not planned making that child suffer through your whole broken relationship or marriage drama, if you cannot keep a child it is best you abort it to save you the whole stress of not regretting. A foetus does not at that stage have a life neither can it think for itself, it is not even considered a child yet until it is being delivered. Everyone should have the right to decide whether to keep a child or not without condemnation from the society, I liked the fact that during Obama's administration it was being approved till Trump came to spoil the whole course, how do you think it feels for a woman to have a child with the baby father rejection the society even considers such child as illegitimate. If they don't want us to have illegitimate children then it is best the abortion bill be passed into law with no sentiments, this will reduce the poverty rate of the society and by this it means there will be less cases of child support care not being met by the man.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  11. Paul

Paul New Member

I am against abortion under any circumstances. My mathematics teacher always told us that the fate of the helpless being in the womb lies in the hands of the mother. The mother therefore has a chance to choose whether or not to kill the baby.
    Imagine you killed a baby who would have ended up becoming the president in the united states. The mother carrying out the abortion might think that she is doing it for her own good which might not be it.
    Why should you terminate a life you started? You dont start what you cant finish.
    I'd advise women to have the baby. He might just change your future and make you forget all the misery and costs incurred when raising him.

12. Efrah Ismael

Efrah Ismael New Member

The idea of abortion is completely wrong in any circumstance. No one has the right to end a life even before it has begun. Imagine if ending your life is something you are never supposed to do what about ending someone else's life, that too of an innocent little creature. I am completely and utterly against it.

13. kaydee

kaydee New Member

Its not easy to decide to have an abortion. You may need sometime to think about your choices and counselling may help you decide what's best for you. If you are comfortable you can start by talking to your doctor or you may want to talk to someone close to you who understands how pregnancy and raising a child would affect your life.

14. tongyun

tongyun New Member

I am against abortion. If you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex. If you choose to have sex, then do what is necessary to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. What's funny to me is those who argue life doesn't begin when sperm and egg meet are, in some cases, the same individuals who would marvel at "life" if a single celled organism was found on a distant planet like Mars. Which is it because you can't have it both ways.

Abortion shouldn't be a form of birth control. Oops, decided to have sex and now it's inconvenient for me to follow through and fulfill my responsibilities in raising someone I created. If you don't want the baby, at least carry to full term and then put it up for adoption. One day, we'll look back on this heinous act and see it for what it really is - murder.

15. Eryn

Eryn New Member

I do not generally reply to individual views in debates concerning abortion. It is a very sensitive and controversial subject and many people hold very strong views. I am making an exception for my general rule in this case. I find this position very condescending. Why is the view of a mathematics teacher given more weight or acknowledgement than any other individual on the topic of abortion? The perspective expressed by the mathematics teacher is merely an obvious statement. There is no deep or insightful meaning expressed either in the comment as a whole or in the quote attributed to the teacher. The advice to have a baby in order to forget misery and costs is so condescending it reaches the point of being insulting while the assertion of the child possibly growing up to be the president of the United States is simply ludicrous. Choosing to use the possible adult life of a hypothetical child if an abortion does not take place as a reason not to have one can quickly lead to negative results as well as positive. The same argument could be made in favor of abortion by asserting the hypothetical of an adult life as a serial killer. There is no purpose to such hypothetical scenarios. They are meaningless as no one is able to predict the future.

We have medical procedures and medications available to perform an abortion quickly and safely, however, abortion is not a recent development. Women have always had knowledge of methods to end a pregnancy. A plant called silphium nearly became extinct in parts of the world due to use by ancient Roman civilizations. It is a very effective herb for ending a pregnancy and was sought after until it nearly disappeared entirely. Silphium was so well-known and essential to their way of life it was embossed on coins. Silphium is one example of an abortifacient while other examples include tansy, pennyroyal, black and white hellebore, savin, Italian catnip and many, many others. The documentation of uses for these plants are found in civilizations all over the world and throughout history. Midwives did not just assist in birth, they were also the keepers of the knowledge women needed to end a pregnancy. If the needed herbs were not available or no one had the necessary knowledge, as was the case in medieval Europe, women would attempt horrific and dangerous physical procedures. Peasant women and their families were the most common users of these awful methods and many lost their lives. Even in modern times the desperation and emotional distress some women experience when they find themselves pregnant with no options is terrible to see. Organizations such as Women on Waves distribute medications to induce abortions to women in countries where they have no legal options. The women in those countries risk imprisonment or even death if caught, yet they still take the chance. This is why I will never support banning abortion. An unwanted pregnancy is emotionally, mentally, and physically detrimental as well as causing financial difficulty. Women have always accessed abortions throughout history no matter the risk. I see no reason that would change if abortion was made illegal in the US.

A major issue I have with the pro-life movement in general is the dubious motivation. Word choice is important. It shows the true feeling behind the spoken words. I have always found it hypocritical for those who oppose abortion to also oppose birth control, sex education, healthcare assistance, and many other social programs. I can not claim to know exactly what another person is thinking, I can only state my perception. I do not feel that pro-life really means valuing the unborn life. Phrases such as "the woman has to take responsibility for her actions," "why should others pay for her mistake," and "she chose to have sex, she has to deal with the consequences" are very telling. Many pro-life advocates do not speak or feel this way but it is relatively common and these views are often expressed in debates. If a person truly feels ending a pregnancy takes a precious unborn life, he or she could not refer to that life as a "responsibility," a "mistake," or a "consequence." If the unborn was truly the concern we would not hear such phrases and the pro-life movement would be working within the current laws to make abortions unnecessary since they have not managed to make them illegal. Most show no interest in reducing the number of abortions through education, free birth control, and social programs to help the mother if a pregnancy does occur. This signifies to me that the unborn life was never their motivation and they simply want their rules of morality followed by everyone.

16. Vallary Otieno

Vallary Otieno New Member

I am against abortion because it is all about risking someone's life . You can either come out safe or die in the process . Further more you come out safe but adapt comlications in future like becoming burren or even experiencing misscarriages . I can never encourage anybody to abort

17. saniamirzatennis

saniamirzatennis New Member

In my opinion, the abortion is against the law of nature. It should not be done until there is any life threat to mother due to the pregnancy. There a lot of cases where women suffered from psychological problems after abortion. I think it is like a murder. It is better to use precautions rather than abortion. abortion is not healthy for the women. It could cause serious health problems for the women.

Doctors should educate the young couples about their sexual life. Couples should be told about birth control techniques other than abortion. They should be informed about the risks attached to abortion.

18. Lillymunyua

Lillymunyua New Member

I do not support abortion at all because, it is evil and wrong. I do not think that it is fair, for the life of a young one to be cut short because, that is being selfish and even if it was me, I would not like that to happen to me. One may abort a baby who might grow up to be a person of great importance to the world. Anyway, every life is important in this word.

In some countries, abortion is a crime and those who participate are considered as murderers, and they do face heavy punishments. It should only be allowed to those whose life is endangered, and the only way to saving it is through abortion.

Abortion has its side effects too. Some are short term while others are long term. Some of the effects are infertility, and it can also lead to the death of the victim. My suggestion is, if one is not ready to have babies, they should use protection or avoid having sex at all.

njigs likes this.
  19. lenmanalang

lenmanalang New Member

Abortion is an act of removing an embryo or fetus before it can survive outside the uterus. It is the deprivation of an innocent child's right to live. Therefore, it is a crime and those who practices this act must be punished. Abortion usually happens after unwanted pregnancies and mostly, the victims are teenagers. That is also the reason why I am against abortion, aside from it is a crime, this act for me is one way to support or permit teens to have premarital sex because some might think that if she gets pregnant, she can easily get it done with abortion without anyone knowing it.

20. WriterAtYourService

WriterAtYourService New Member

I am totally disagree about abortion not only because of the fact that it is illegal here in our country, Philippines, but because of the truth that abortion is a simple way of killing, and we cannot deny it.

Can you imagine yourself killing your own child? Your own blood and flesh? His/her life would end just because of that you are scared to take the responsibility. Your child could be a Doctor who would take care a sick person or a Teacher who would teach children a good moral in future. But everything can be gone just because of your one selfish decision. Are you that much heartless? Think twice or maybe a million times before making a decision that you will surely regret in the future.