IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Alcohol

Discussion in 'Science' started by ruthmogs, Aug 30, 2017.

?

Considering the importance of alcohol in our bodies. How often should one take alcohol?

1. daily

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. once a week

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. ruthmogs

ruthmogs New Member

An alcoholic drink/beverage is a drink that contains ethanol, a depressant which in low doses cause reduced anxiety and sociability.
    Besides alcohols are source of food energy. The USDA uses a figure of 6.93kalories(29KJ) per gram of alcohol.
    It causes health effects like liver cirrhosis, breast and mouth cancer.

2. Rock1987

Rock1987 New Member

People choose to drink alcohol for all sorts of reasons, from toasting the happy couple to drowning sorrows and numbing pain. There are few people who drink alcohol primarily to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. The epidemiological evidence on how drinking is related to the risk of heart disease over the life course is scarce and I do not know yet whether cardio protective benefits accrue over a lifetime.

In few years the consumption of alcohol has risen to more than 50% which has led to alcohol related deaths, particularly from liver cirrhosis. Clearly, it would be unwise to advice non-drinkers to start drinking in an attempt to prevent cardiac disease.

3. PedroCarvalho

PedroCarvalho New Member

The only alcohol drink I really consume and love is beer. Yet, I drink one or two beers, two days in a month. Of course, if you're drinking everyday, if you're already dependent, your body one day or another will suffer the consequences. As the mate above stated, there is liver diseases, and let's not forget: driving after/while drinking, which it's the second most common cause of death at traffic in Brazil.

4. Barks_06

Barks_06 New Member

Alcohol addiction is hard to quit but it was a time when I was addicted to drugs and alcohol both. It was the worst phase of my life and I didn’t want to do anything all day long. Then my family took me to the virginia opiate addiction treatment center where I was given complete treatment. Now I am living a normal life.

5. Eddielucky

Eddielucky New Member

Yes,alcohol is important to our bodies. Look,aren't there other sources of calories that won't harm our bodies.Alcohol has severe consequences as aforementioned when an individual develops addiction.One should consider wisely before choosing alcohol and if it must be taken,then do it rarely for your own good.

6. rishman

rishman New Member

i don't think alcohol is bad as long a sit is not abused. many reasons for consuming alcohol - stress buster / celebration / social drinking ie at a party or with mates . People need to be honest with themslves when it comes to alcohol as in hom much to consume and frequency of consumption. To me it is about self discipline as it is with so many other things in life

7. DingDong

DingDong New Member

Alcohol has actually been proven to prolong life. Numerous scientific studies have been carried out and the conclusion is that moderate drinking increases lifespan by several different mechanisms. In the first place drinkers have lower incidence of cardiovascular events like stroke and a heart attack. Another effect of alcohol is the slowing down of the aging rate of our bodies' cells. Again - drinking should be in moderation for these effects to take place.

Wine, especially red wine, is full of antioxidants and we all know how important they are to fight free radicals in this polluted environment that we live nowadays.

Beer contains hop. Hop has been extensively studied and the results from these studies suggest that it helps with generation of new neurons in the brain.

However excessive alcohol consumption blocks the absorption of vitamin B1 (thiamine). It also makes us lose other vitamins and minerals in the urine, because it is a diuretic.

Overdoing drinking can also make you an addict.

When I get super drunk, I feel extremely bad on the next morning and have more wrinkles on my face. The dose is they key here.

8. Wilderness

Wilderness New Member

Alcohol in moderation favors health. Moderate amount means the one which is safe and does not lead to any abuse. We should be familiar with the fact that we all differ in body type and makeup, thus privilege, as well as the amount of alcohol that is considered to be moderate also diversify. @PedroCarvalho Not only drinking in moderation should be exercised, in fact, choose alcoholic beverage wisely. Wine, especially red one is an unparalleled alcoholic beverage and thus should be conventionally taken in a moderate amount to seek health benefits.

As far as substantial health benefits of alcohol are concerned, it can add a few years to our lives. If consumed in moderation, it lengthens the life as well as improves libido. Disorders like diabetes and blood pressure can be ruled out as it maintains blood sugar and blood pressure level in normal range. HDL which is also known as good cholesterol gets raised in the body by moderate consumption of alcohol and it also prevents blood clotting which ultimately keeps heart healthy and reduces the chances of cardiovascular diseases.

9. Allan

Allan New Member

Alcohol addiction is a disease, but not to all since I have an uncle who has been taking alcohol since 1988 and he is still strong and healthy, more to that he is not an addict. I think alcohol depends with the body of a person.
    There are those who will take alcohol and it kills them and there are others who will take to even over forty years and still get going. For me i think about taking alcohol or beer someone should take his or her look at his body first.

10. Kim90

Kim90 New Member

It is true alcohol is good for our bodies but,it alters the normal functioning of the body thus making the users at risk, for example in case where the person has to drive home .

11. Shem Nderitu

Shem Nderitu New Member

Alcohol is important in our daily lives useful in our bodies and also our day to day chores e.g disinfection of surfaces e.t.c. Alcohol is useful in digestion only when in small amounts in the body.

Alcohol has also negative effects e.g when one gets addicted it can lead to family wrangles, economic struggles and even death so one has to consume it with moderation.

12. higming

higming New Member

In chemistry, an alcohol is any organic compound in which the hydroxyl functional group (–OH) is bound to a carbon.[2] The term alcohol originally referred to the primary alcohol ethanol (ethyl alcohol), which is used as a drug and is the main alcohol present in alcoholic beverages.

The suffix -ol appears in the IUPAC chemical name of all substances where the hydroxyl group is the functional group with the highest priority; in substances where a higher priority group is present the prefix hydroxy- will appear in the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry(IUPAC) name. The suffix -ol in non-systematic names (such as paracetamol or cholesterol) also typically indicates that the substance includes a hydroxyl functional group and, so, can be termed an alcohol. But many substances, particularly sugars (examples glucose and sucrose) contain hydroxyl functional groups without using the suffix. An important class of alcohols, of which methanol and ethanol are the simplest members is the alcohols, the general formula for which is CnH2n+1OH.