IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Apart from addiction, what are the other negative effects of technology on children?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by beenarabdi, Apr 4, 2018.

1. beenarabdi

beenarabdi New Member

Electronic gadgets can be addictive as well as lead to other negative effects on children which may include ;Health issues: Studies have shown that children who spend most of their time staring at a screen are likely to be obese as they remain inactive most of the time.
    Exposure to adult content is also an issue, whereby words and images not meant for children are routinely seen by young children who click on some links by mistake or out of curiosity.
    Spelling and grammar mistakes are also on the rise among young kids as texting, chatting and online shortcuts have undoubtedly contributed to the general decline in childrens' ability to spell and use grammar correctly.
    Social awkwardness is another negative effect of technology, because when a child spends most of his or her time with electronic devices, the child's relationship with humans might be hurt.
    Lastly, violence may be witnessed in young children as electronic inter-phases can expose children to violence, for example, through video games or television programmes.

2. aeon

aeon New Member

I have a personal experience about this topic because some of my relatives allowed their kids to use some gadgets at young age. The kids become hyper and it's really hard to understand. There are some situations that you can't talk to them directly and I think there are something wrong in their eyes and looks like they are irritated immediately. They are also become aggressive and violent, not even know how to control their anger. They don't want to eat also because gadgets are enough for them. They are all wearing eye glasses also, maybe because their eyes are now affected because of too much using these gadgets. They are always sick and looks weak, I noticed that when they were playing outside, they were so easily to get tired, and most of the time they can't sleep at night.

3. cmoneyspinner

cmoneyspinner New Member

It's not the technology that has negative effects. It's the parenting or the care taking of those responsible for the nurture and development of a child's mind who do not monitor their usage of tech devices and their activity on the Internet … that's where the negativity comes in.

4. Ayoma

Ayoma New Member

I totally agree with you cmoneyspinner. If only we can control the children all these negative effects will not be there. We have left technology to raise our children while we are too busy with life. If only we could play our role as parents technology will not be blamed.

5. momshyanitz

momshyanitz New Member

Cell phones, tablets, and computers are the most in-demand gadgets in the present times because it gains us fast access to most information that we need as long as you have an internet connection. My children often use the computer to research and do their homework. They bring their cellphones to school so I can contact them, especially after classes to make sure they get home safe. I allow them to use their phones to listen to music, watch videos, chat or call their friends. They can visit websites, but I make sure that they only check sites that I allow them to access. I think that gadgets are really useful and can really make out life easier.
    On the other hand, technology and gadgets have also its disadvantage. I think addiction is the main culprit that makes children dependent on their gadgets. Students get distracted by using their cell phones in school. Others are hooked up in gaming that they tend to forget their homework and projects. Lastly, it makes children lazy and lack of interest in studying. They depend on gadgets to do things for them, thus making them less creative and motivated to work harder.
    I think that it really depends on your child on how he/she uses gadgets. We are in the modern times and technology advancement is rapidly growing. So to keep up with the pace, we often rely on gadgets to make our life easier. I don't see anything wrong with the use of gadgets. We just need to use them wisely and meaningfully to maximize the use of it.