IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are all musicians suffer from depression?

Discussion in 'Music' started by aeon, Apr 8, 2018.

1. aeon

aeon New Member

Well, I think they are all suffering from depressions. Specially the musicians coming from the rock bands. I think writing a music is the only way for them to express their feelings, self and to release their pain. The sex drugs and alcohol attitude actually help them to forget the pain and become enthusiastic to write a song. They rely too much on drugs and alcohol just to produce a good music and that's the problem about that, their mind now is uncontrollable. The attitude of a normal rock star like strong and dependable is the reason for them not to tell to anyone about their problems. What is your opinion about this?

2. missjey

missjey New Member

I believe musicians are very sensitive and deeply sentimental people, and coming from an experience, musicians tend to dive deeply into their music, and it involves a lot of emotions and senses. I think this applies to whatever genre or kind of music that you do. Being an artist means you have to open yourself to vulnerability to be able to create something beautiful. And I think it makes musicians vulnerable from good and bad feelings, make them susceptible to experiencing depression. Musicians are getting depressed for tons of reasons, depending on what they are going through as a musician. If you are a solo artist, maybe you are not satisfied with your performance, and gets frustrated all the time, and it makes you depressed; for composers, maybe they are not satisfied with their work and was looking for something missing but can’t determine what it is, it could be a source of depression; or maybe they involve so much emotions in the music that it makes them depressed.

There are so many reasons why musicians tend to commonly experience depression, but what I think is that musicians are very emotional people; and so they are easily get depressed. For some, they’re able to overcome it. For some, they fail.

3. W130SN

W130SN New Member

I don't think all musicians suffer from depression, I do think that the greatest musicians use their emotions in their music making.
    They will use their own lives as the basis of their music including both the good and bad times.

Depression can hit anybody, no matter what their profession may be. Do creative people suffer depression more than others? I am not sure but I am a sufferer of depression and I would not wish it on anybody.

rollinder likes this.
  4. birdman100

birdman100 New Member

Musicians have childhood memories like had something happen to them in the past so that is why they do songs about it