IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are Board Games Outdated!?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Amanda!, Mar 26, 2018.

?

What Board Game?

1. Monopoly

72.7%
  2. Snakes and Ladders

36.4%
  3. Guess Who

18.2%
  4. Battle Ship

36.4%
  5. Scrabble

63.6%
  6. Operation

27.3%
  7. Pictonary

18.2%
  8. Apples to Apples

45.5%
  9. Cards (Go Fish, Old Maid....)

27.3%
  10. Clue

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Amanda!

Amanda! New Member

A lot of people don't play board games like Monopoly anymore. Video Games have taken over the "role" of many board games. I still play Monopoly, Snakes and Ladders, Guess Who and Battle Ship. Are all these games outdated? How many people still play any of these games or even other board games?
    Let me know if you have any other board games that are not on the poll!

liacg likes this.
  2. AWorld8Part

AWorld8Part New Member

I have always believed that, as "cool" as video games are, they will never provide the companionship and camaraderie that develops when we sit in a circle to play board games. The latter provide a level of connection that video games have yet to achieve and, because of this, will never become obsolete as long as our species remains a social animal.

Not on the list: Clue, Careers, Trivial Pursuit, UNO, Dominoes, Checkers, Chess, Chinese Checkers, Bingo, Mah-jong, Yahtzee, and so many others. Last but not least, most of us cannot even recall the last time we completed a jigsaw puzzle with a group of people.

If board games be the root of connection, play on.

Amanda! likes this.
  3. drdues

drdues New Member

Whatever happens in this world, no video game can ever replace board games. There is a reason that board games have persisted till now, even in the age of video games. If you go to a certain gaming website, there is a chance that you will find a digital version of board games like chess, scrabble, etc.

Board games are real deal. Not only there are no digital random variables as modern cyber games have, they make a direct challenge to the player's brain. They helped you think out of box. They brought family closer. When you sat down to play a board game of monopoly with siblings and/or parents, that fun cannot be replaced with anything else.

For me board games will be perennial.

4. drdues

drdues New Member

Hey mate! I totally agree with what you said. Plus, Mah-Jong and Chess are my favorites. Which ones are yours?

5. superman2727

superman2727 New Member

Honestly, we cannot say that board games like chess, scrabble, UNO and many more are outdated. It is easy to say for some people to call them outdated just because some are playing it physically but that's the traditional and enjoyable way to play those type of games. They just normally saw those things in technology, mobiles or something so that's why they called it outdated. I hate the way how they disregard this type of games, because most of this board games lets us to use our logic in mind or makes our mind sharper. The strategies to win, I don't think if the generation in present times will still appreciate the fun that board games gave us. Thanks!

6. higming

higming New Member

I believe that board games can provide people with the happiness that they need with their families. It is the old way of enjoyment and still is today.

7. Pilotwavyjones

Pilotwavyjones New Member

It depends because most of the board games can be found as apps on your phone on your computer.

8. higming

higming New Member

You will still not receive the same amount of enjoyment because you cannot taunt and interact with them.

9. Aawdio

Aawdio New Member

No they are not. I would rather play real life Monopoly then a digital Monopoly. I don't care if the year is 9090 I would still choose a real thing over a digital one. But that is just my opinion, Other people may think different.

10. brettelizabeth1

brettelizabeth1 New Member

Board games should never be something that we allow ourselves to phase out of our pop culture. We have already lost Blockbusters, arcades, skating rinks, bowling alleys, and so many other nostalgic treasures. Board games are a great way to spend a few ours a week creating memories with your family. Or, grab a pitcher of margaritas and have Saturday game night with your friends. That will be so much better than wasting away at nightclubs. I am sure there is an amazing world of "realism" and graphics in video games. But, just like all technology, the payoff is our ability to interact in person. This is something that we cannot forget how to do. How boring would life be if we stayed inside and "lived" our life through screens, instead of getting out into the world and seeing everything and meeting people!?!? That is why we need to preserve these little things, because as silly as a board game may seem, it contributes to a larger picture.

11. liacg

liacg New Member

@Amanda! I don't think these games will ever grow outdated! At least, not as long as I live! Board games and card games are the heart of family fun, and the basis of game nights! Yet, I still can't help but think that some day, years from now, people will be asking question about games that are modern now!

12. Josh8223

Josh8223 New Member

Yes, we have seen a decrease of board game playing in the younger age group currently. But you still have the older age groups that want to keep their generation hobbies alive and want to share it to their offspring. I think that board games will be around for a while until more gadgets come out and the older generation hobbies get more boring.

13. DianeScorpion

DianeScorpion New Member

I love both board games and video games, there is room for both in my opinion. My grandson is four years old and has been playing computer games for at least two years, but it's a pretty solitary activity. I am now introducing him to the delights of board games, as he is able to understand the rules. It's something we can enjoy as a family, but he is a bad loser, to be honest!