IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are cameras dying out?

Discussion in 'Art' started by CAELI, Aug 10, 2017.

1. CAELI

CAELI New Member

I was thinking about this subject a while back and it has re-entered my mind recently. I used to think that I wanted to be a photographer, and that they were still in high demand. But recently I have been going back on my thoughts, cameras and photographers are not that important anymore. What are your views 0n this?

2. kayjay77

kayjay77 New Member

Hi Caeli.

Nothing is potentially further from the truth; cameras are and remain as important today as the day the first camera was introduced to the buying public. This is so for one reason, if for no other reason: A picture is worth a thousand words. Look at my avatar if you will. You may be surprised that this painting of a blue sky that is graced with gorgeous white clouds, and lovely green grass is actually not a painting; it was taken as a photograph of an actual landscape in California. Its title is Bliss (from Microsoft XP wallpaper). What if the photographer who took this picture felt the way that you feel--we would never have this amazing thing to behold. It may be nice if you thought twice about giving up taking pictures if photography is a true passion of yours. You kindly gave us something to think about.

Dennis likes this.
  3. butterflow

butterflow New Member

If we are talking about traditional SLR or even digital cameras, then yes, I agree that they are dying out, however, with todays technology, smart phones in particular, then I have to disagree. Practically everyone now has a phone camera with them, either in their back pocket or handbag.

Everyone is their own personal photographer. Just take a look at most social media platforms to see just how many people are taking photographs. We can also include videos as well.

4. Jowell Jeremiah Taga amo

Jowell Jeremiah Taga amo New Member

In my opinion, I would answer no, I'm a street photographer and photography enthusiast and I never saw the camera industry dying. It is actually growing in its own way with the help of the modern technology. Why did I think it is growing? Simple, based on my observation over the years as a street photographer on the busy streets of Manila, Philippines the only way to take a photo would be just using a traditional film camera or a big and heavy DSLR. But nowadays most of the photographers on the streets are using smartphones and Mirrorless cameras on their photography projects. Overall if there are still people taking photos and enjoying photography and videography then cameras will not die at all.

5. Derrick

Derrick New Member

6. Derrick

Derrick New Member

I am of the view that cameras aren't dying infact they are popping up in this current generation pretty fast.In my case am a kenyan and for sure photography is a daily lifestyle where we the youthful group tend to have the so called photoshoot for one main reason either posting on instagram or facebook.

As a result of cameras evolving we see this trend being introduced tosmartphone companies for example we have the oppo smartphone commonlyreffered to as camera phone.Thatcarries the day the fact that camerasare still on.

7. Dennis

Dennis New Member

In the comments above, kayjay77 quoted the famous adage, 'A picture is worth a thousand words.' Tie that thought with the modern social life on Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp among others. We turn on our computers today whether at school or work and first thing, log into these accounts, reason, we want to see how a friends' wedding or party you did not attend went down. All these we owe to the great work of cameras. Walk along the streets today and people are all over taking selfies. Look at celebrities and other public figures being trolled around by cameramen/women. Without further talk, I would say the world of cameras and photography is gaining momentum everyday than it used to be.

8. rollinder

rollinder New Member

If cameras and photographers weren't important any longer, instagram wouldn't be as massive as it is, and major photography forums and magazines would have shut down due to not making enough money. Blogs and advertisers still need photos, paid and free stock photo sites still have plenty of clients needing photographic content, so no. People may be using smartphones instead of standard cameras instead but not everyone.