IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are Laptops are Better than Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sangita Devi, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Sangita Devi

Sangita Devi New Member

There are many benefit laptops over desktops. Firstly, we can use laptops anywhere we want. We can use laptops while driving. Even while lying on bed we can use our laptops! At school/college campuses, we can use laptops whereas desktops can't be used outside the homes. Another benefit is its small size. Laptops are much shorter than desktops and it covers much less area than desktops. In my opinion, laptops are far better than desktops. What's your opinion?

2. divinemaredi

divinemaredi New Member

I confidently vote for Laptops!
    Despite the fact that they are more portable, nowadays, a Laptop can achieve everything a standard Desktop can achieve, they are essentially the same thing in different physical forms. A Laptop can be taken with you anywhere in the world, while desktops are static devices waiting for you to come back to your office!

3. Bibliomaniac

Bibliomaniac New Member

Laptops are great for their portability, yes, but they are let down by the lack of customisation and the inevitable dearth of computing power they have next to desktops.

A laptop is fine, great even, if you are looking to do simple things like surf the web, watch YouTube or perform some word processing tasks, but to edit and analyse data, run advanced programming scripts or play the latest computer games, a desktop is necessary. Not only do they tend to start out with more advanced specifications than laptops, but the parts are easily removable and interchangeable. If you graphics card is no longer pulling its weight, yank it out and put a new one in. If you want to do this with a laptop - good luck.

SoCalDiegoRob likes this.
  4. SoCalDiegoRob

SoCalDiegoRob New Member

This depends on what you are trying to do with the computer:

Laptops are an excellent choice for mobility reasons. You can take them with you and preform minimal tasks such as reading email, surfing the web, watching videos, Skype, etc... The portability factor is what makes them so great to have. I do play some video games on my Toshiba laptop but it really does not compare to playing them on a desktop computer.

Desktop computers are the answer if you have heavy computing needs like video games, complicated software programs etc... The reason for this is because the components in a computer heat up when used and need to be cooled also with more space in the desktop computer, 1. You can make them more powerful, ( larger hard drives, better graphics cards, more fans for cooling etc... ). 2. Because of the more space for cooling the components, desktop computers tend to last longer.

Me personally, I love both but if I had to chose only one, I would chose a laptop because of the portability factor and they can do almost as much as a desktop computer...

5. RapidBlue

RapidBlue New Member

No, I don't think so. I used to work one season on the laptop, I borrowed it from my cousin and it was a sheer catastrophe. That device was overheating all the time, it was very hard to surf and navigate. For some reason I also hated a keyboard and the angle was completely unnatural.
    I ordered small useless netbook and continue working on that device rather than on a laptop. I prefer to work on the PC for so many reasons, but I think that a main is that I am used to the desktop computers.

6. Dejan

Dejan New Member

It really depends on your needs. I have both laptop and PC, but i mostly use my laptop, because it suits all my needs. I use PC for some heavy gaming and heavy CPU - dependent software. Greatest laptop benefit is their portability, while greatest PC benefits are stability and configurability.

If you ever need to choose between these two, always see what suits you more.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    yusulots likes this.
  7. MikeTheKnight

MikeTheKnight New Member

I have back and neck problems and sitting on a chair all day is a problem. Sure, I can buy a better chair but nothing beats just laying down on a comfortable bed with a laptop. Sitting down on a chair for long periods of time can also cause me to sweat too much.

Basically, I prefer a laptop due to comfort. I find that I can do anything on a laptop that I would be able to do on a desktop.

I've had much better experiences with a laptop and screen size isn't a concern to me.

8. mylenix

mylenix New Member

Yes, they are better than desktop computers. They are more convenient because you can take your laptop anywhere and work on it more comfortably without having to stay in one place. I believe with my experience that laptops are faster and crash less frequently.

9. theshowup

theshowup New Member

I prefer laptops because of portability and the fact that you can move around not glued to the power supply but in terms of performance a desktop is the best choice to go with.

10. cby

cby New Member

Hello there.

@Sangita Devi my opinion is : it depends on what you do or plan to do with your computer.

If you prefer laptops, it is beacause of their portability and... because you don't game or perform heavy tasks. You would probably tell me that next generation of laptop can be used to perform such tasks or run latest games... Yes, they are. But, like @Bibliomaniac and @SoCalDiegoRob said, in these cases, desktop computers are the best. Not only, they do not suffer from heat the same way laptops do, but parts are upgradable for higher performance.

So, we can do almost everything we do on a desktop on a laptop, but for (very) high performance, a desktop PC has nothing to envy to a laptop PC.

11. noctisD

noctisD New Member

I have a laptop which I now use as a desktop computer. And it is great, I love it! Just like most people here, if I have to choose one of the two, I would go with a laptop for portability reasons and the fact that there are good laptops out there that can handle the games I play.

But other than portability, I don't think a laptop has anything over a desktop. Desktop computers are a lot more cheaper and powerful than a laptop. They can also be used for a lot more time than laptops, as I tend to buy a new laptop every 3-4 years. A desktop computer can also be upgraded at any time and that also saves on money for the long run. Anyway, I'm still in my gaming days, so my personal opinion is that a desktop PC has the performance I really want and need.

In the end, I think that a laptop would be more useful to the avarage person but when it comes to performance, a desktop will always be at the top.

12. kalchakrag

kalchakrag New Member

I like laptop as well as desktop . Do you think that there should be any misjudgement as when to use a laptop and when to use a desktop ? Laptop is light and portable meaning you can carry your little office with you , your personal documents with you where you go . I generally use laptops to do light tasks . I can do my job as I wish and when I wish . But it is not suitable for super computational jobs , coin minings or high games which require more RAM as well as advanced graphics . More over I do not have the option to add extra graphics or sound card to my laptop . For that purpose , desktop is my first choice . One word , laptop is tender and it is "She" ,but desktop is for hardy jobs, rough using and it is "He" .

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  13. Satelliting

Satelliting New Member

I would definitely feel that laptops are better if you can pay for the same quality and computer specs that you could for a desktop. For example, a $300 laptop could not be considered as good as a $800 desktop, but laptops will also cost more for the same quality due to portability and other production factors.

I would agree with @noctisD that laptops will always be better to the average person for portability reasons, and desktops will always be considered when dealing with performance. I personally like desktops better since I enjoy multiple screens for usefulness. Always nice to be able to play a game and work on stuff while waiting for something to load.

14. Memelordjuli

Memelordjuli New Member

For the average Joe, a laptop would be better. They can perform the same tasks as a desktop, plus they are portable. For someone working in an office, however, desktops are far more useful. Generally they are more powerful in terms of computing power and speed. The monitors are also bigger and a desktop even allows you to have dual monitors if necessary. I could not imagine working in an office on a laptop.

15. yowsef24

yowsef24 New Member

It depends on the situation and location. Laptops are more reliable when you are travelling from place to place because of its portability while Desktop is better when you're at home or office. One main reason is that the price for each product. Having a laptop with good specs cost a lot rather than building a computer desktop will cost you less with much greater specs.

16. BoWaddy

BoWaddy New Member

Sangita Devi, laptops are very portable more than desktops and have many benefits over desktop. We can use laptops anywhere we go just like you said but I would like to say that it is not advisable to use a laptop while driving or even do anything else while driving but I am definitely with you on the fact that laptops are pretty much better than desktops.

To SoCalDiegoRob, We have special types of laptops called gaming laptops which is as powerful as any desktop including gaming PCs. An example of this is the Dell Alienware 18. Due to this fact I can go ahead to say that laptops are pretty much more powerful and more fashionable than PCs because of the fact that it is competent with desktop computers in processing power and more portable than desktop computers.

usman ali likes this.
  17. Tony16

Tony16 New Member

Laptops are portable but desktop are not I can use my laptop anywhere I go because of it's portability. Without mincing words I personally believe laptops are better than desktop because everything that can be done using the desktop can also be conveniently done with the laptop. The biggest advantage the laptop has over the desktop, and which makes it in my opinion better than the desktop, is that it is more easily portable. You can only use the desktop at homes whereas the laptop can be used inside the car, the plane at the club or pub.

usman ali and BoWaddy like this.
  18. harisali1217

harisali1217 New Member

I think they're both equally good, but it really depends on what you're using it for.I use a PC for gaming, but I use a laptop and a tablet for college. Unfortunately, my laptop can't survive for more than 2 hours on a good day without charging, but it's great for homework and Netflix. It's a lot easier to bring a laptop than a PC as well. If you're on-the-go a lot, buying a laptop would be wiser than a bulky desktop.

usman ali likes this.
  19. Zimmy

Zimmy New Member

Desk computers and laptops, are just tools. You don't see anybody saying that a wrench is greater than a screwdriver. A wrench and a screwdriver are different tools for different things. I think this is the same with computers and laptops. Each person has a point of view for whatever they prefer as far as choosing which computer they like.

Sommax and usman ali like this.
  20. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhya New Member

The fact that you can get Laptops that are almost as powerful and a lot more efficient than Desktops is a very Good Statement pointing that Laptops are better than Desktops. But the factor that Desktops are way cheaper and are available, configurable and modifiable accordingly to the users needs puts forth a very strong statement that they are better. There is no Laptop in the Market that you can buy which can run as autonomously or as good as a similarly priced Desktops. You are Stuck with what you get there is no room for Upgradability and it just isn;t worth the money you Pay if you are a power user.

That said I am not against Laptops. All I am saying is that they would never get as good as Desktops.

usman ali likes this.