IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are Laptops are Better than Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sangita Devi, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Romana

Romana New Member

Laptops are just like compact desktops. For me they provide similar functionality as desktops and are very easy to carry. They can be taken along almost every where in the world. They do not require a lot of space. We can easily carry them to college. Laptops can be charged and do not require to be plugged into the socket all the time, while desktops always have to be plugged into the socket while working with them.

2. Omair Ahmed

Omair Ahmed New Member

I vote for laptops. They are portable and we can use them anywhere whereas desktops are difficult to carry. Desktops need a secondary display screen like monitors but laptops already have built-in screen.

3. Yash Raj Karthikey

Yash Raj Karthikey New Member

The answer is, It depends. When, you are at work and you are thinking professionally you have these two choices namely, laptop and desktop. A desktop is powerful, stable and has its own advantages and benefits like being a stable workstation, promisable and performing. It is basically for Office users. But, if you prefer laptops, higher configurations are costlier. However, if you have enough money to buy those performance workstation laptops, they are definitely a good choice. :) Go for it.

4. michaelsonw92

michaelsonw92 New Member

I confidently vote for Laptops!
    Despite the fact that they are more portable, nowadays, a Laptop can achieve everything a standard Desktop can achieve, they are essentially the same thing in different physical forms. A Laptop can be taken with you anywhere in the world, while desktops are static devices waiting for you to come back to your office!

5. samanb1213

samanb1213 New Member

I prefer using a laptop instead of a desktop. Laptops can be moved around. You can take them wherever you go. You can sit on the couch or your bed with them and not have to sit at a desk. Desktops have a bigger screen but you can't move them much. You have to sit in the same place with them. I would say that it is better to use a laptop.

6. zeratul

zeratul New Member

For personal use, laptops are better for average users not just for portability but also for the fact that they consume so much less power than a desktop. This translates to substantial savings in electricity on a monthly basis. This, for me, is good enough to justify the higher cost of buying a laptop over a desktop. For gamers, however, the price difference is usually too big to be overcome by monthly savings in electricity.

For clerical work at the office, a desktop would be preferable specially if the user have to use applications that demand high processor power and memory. In addition, desktops tend to be more durable and so much easier to fix and upgrade.

7. Joel7050

Joel7050 New Member

Both of them have their pros and cons. The main pro of a laptop is its ability to be brought around the place. However, this means limited battery capacity and low processing power. A desktop is stuck at one spot, however it essentially has an unlimited power supply and can have incredible amounts of processing speed, and strong connection to your home's WiFi. A good desktop PC can run the latest titles with no problem while even the latest laptop may struggle to do the same. Of course, if one uses the PC mainly for work, the laptop would seem like a much more convenient solution.

8. Itechno23d

Itechno23d New Member

Advantages of a laptop computer, as compared to a desktop computer are :
    • Laptop computers are highly portable and allow you to use your computer almost anywhere.

• If you are an international student, a laptop computer will be much easier to transport from home to school and back again.

• Laptop computers take up less room on a desk or table and can be put away when not in use.

• Laptop computers have a single cord to contend with, rather than the multiple cords associated with desktop computer use.

Essentially, the choice comes down to portability versus functionality and cost. While desktop computers are less expensive, more powerful and more user-friendly, there is a lot to be said for being able to do your homework in a coffee shop and writing term papers on the beach.

My vote is For Laptop !

9. sikanderawan

sikanderawan New Member

Laptop is not a better option to consider if you are in computer profession especially as programmer or system administrator.Although, laptops are portable and reliable option but they are expensive.You have to pay huge sum to buy a laptop which has high RAM,GPU and memory.
    But, in less price, you can get desktop of the same specification.If you enjoy playing games or writing stuff, then laptop should be the best option.Compatibility option is common in both devices but now a days,we should consider laptops or notebooks.

10. Narad Maharaj

Narad Maharaj New Member

There are advantages and disadvantages of Laptops, it is a fact that you can carry them anywhere but some laptops have some disadvantages. Some disadvantages are that you have to charge them all the time when the battery is low, and there are less jacks like the HDMI cord jack that does not come with all of the Laptops today. Now, there is a cost factor. It is a fact that most Laptops are cheaper than Desktops. So, when you compare them, a Laptop is better than a Desktop.

11. Laxton

Laxton New Member

I think a Laptop is better for being more mobile and portable. Although, I believe a desktop would be better for gaming or something that requires a mouser. Even so, you can add a mouser to a laptop which is great. I don't think a laptop can handle as much as a desktop can, so if you're mainly playing games and you want the best graphics, etc. Then a desktop would be better for you. Laptops are better overall in my opinion, mainly for their mobility.

12. cindy scaccia

cindy scaccia New Member

I find laptops difficult to use. It takes me too long to get the cursor to go where I want it to go. I have much more control over it with a mouse. However, I like the portability of a laptop. I do a lot of writing articles online for extra cash and I like the idea of having my files with me wherever I go. The only 2 laptops I've ever used seem to run the battery down pretty fast. Is this common for laptops?

13. rz3300

rz3300 New Member

It all depends on what you need and what your preferences are, but these days, laptops are pretty much just as capable as desktops in terms of performance, plus you add on the whole mobility thing. I love my laptop and I no longer need a desktop, but certainly there is still room for them for offices and for the hardcore gamers and people like that, at least I think.

14. Hilary

Hilary New Member

I like the benefits of both. I have a desktop that I use for typing a lot. I like that it doesn't rely on a battery and that I can use it as long as I need to. The laptop allows me to take it wherever I need to be.

15. badcannon

badcannon New Member

Alright I can see many of you point out that laptops are more portable than desktops are well I am here to say that except that fact desktop beat laptops in every other criteria let me point out some

1.They are lot cheaper than a laptop (performance wise):A 500$ desktop performs way better than a 1500$ laptop
    2.Comfort:I don't know about you guys but if given a desktop and a laptop to write a long story/letter i would go for the desktop because i feel it is more comfortable
    3.Gaming : Do I need to even elaborate ?? :p

Just to be fair I do agree that laptops are closing the gap,I do agree that there are way better laptops than there ever was.

16. keshav

keshav New Member

Desktop processors are more powerful than corresponding laptop processors. And I'm not even going to get into mobile ARM processors (that is, the processors running in most phones and tablets), since the comparison is laughable. Let's just say this is a case in which size definitely matters.

Laptop processors are not only smaller than desktop processors, they're designed to use less energy and produce less heat. There are a several reasons for this: First, laptops usually run on battery life. Because of this, mobile processors are designed toconserve battery life. Second, laptop processors are fitted into a tight, closed chassis, and surrounded by a couple of small fans—and they're still prone to over heating.

Desktop processors, meawnhile, are lucky enough to sip an endless supply of juice from a wall outlet, and they can be surrounded with fans or even a liquid cooling system to keep their temperatures down. Thus, they're not only more powerful, they can also be easily overclocked to run at even higher speeds.

usman ali likes this.
  17. Canaria

Canaria New Member

Laptop is not meant for gaming, due to it's integrated graphic card which is lacking in every performance aspect, compared to desktop. If you're an avid gamer, you'd better off go for desktop instead.

usman ali likes this.
  18. usman ali

usman ali New Member

If you ask me the optimal is a combination of 2 devices. A desktop for home where you can do heavy lifting, and a laptop / 2in1 when you are on the road.
    This way you can do light productivity with it, while you can still use as a laptop when you are at home. I choose laptop over desktop,
    well, when you have a desktop at home, meaning it's useless a lot of times. But it depends on everyone choice.

Canaria likes this.
  19. jfrey328

jfrey328 New Member

It always bothers me when laptops start to overheat. I think desktop computers last longer, but they aren't convenient. I consider this a good enough reason to avoid desktops, but like others have said, it just depends on your needs.

You also have to consider the quality of the laptop. A MacBook is the most affordable option if you want convenience and durability, especially since they retain some resale value. Alienware laptops are expensive, but they can handle more than the average laptop, so they're popular with gamers.

20. melody daniel

melody daniel New Member

I don't get it, apart from portability, is there anyother edge laptops have over desktops??