IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are Laptops are Better than Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sangita Devi, Feb 25, 2016.

1. robertleung.pro

robertleung.pro New Member

Depending on the situation, laptops can be better, and in other cases desktops are better. Laptops are better in the sense that it is portable. This especially comes handy, when for example you have meetings that you have to attend, and you want to showcase a presentation, or if you want to take notes without using a pen and paper. In other cases, such as when you want to host a web server, or if you want to do heavy compiling of source code, without your computer/CPU overheating, a desktop may be a better solution. I'm overall not very against either, as I use both.

2. wasswa sharif

wasswa sharif New Member

Definately. Most of the things a desktop computer does can be done by a laptop if not all but laptops are portable. For me that exceeds the rest.

3. EJ Burg

EJ Burg New Member

I do agree. laptops have a lot of advances in our day to day uses but I guess it depends on your activities. For instance gamers like to use desktops because it's much easier upgradeable especially with parts like the GPU. You can put more RAM or a better CPU into your laptop but when you find your GPU not up to standard anymore you would not be able to upgrade it so when it comes to gaming and designers a desktop can be a cheaper way to stay up to the benchmark standards. On the other hand for all other people including myself I would say a laptop is the best way to go as its advantages way outweighs the rest.

4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

No, not even close. If we're talking about the maximum potential that is, laptops are simply portable and convenient, but when it comes down to the specs for both gaming, multimedia work, and overall use, he desktop wins hands down. Assuming we get the best laptop there is to date, it still won't be able to compare to the best desktop right now, there's only so much you could fit inside a laptop, unlike the desktop where nearly all parts can be upgraded.

5. Tuphan143

Tuphan143 New Member

Laptops square measure nice for his or her movability, yes, however they're discomfited by the dearth of customisation and therefore the inevitable dearth of computing power they need next to desktops.

A laptop computer is ok, great even, if you're trying to try and do easy things like surf the online, watch YouTube or perform some data processing tasks, however to edit and analyse knowledge, run advanced programming scripts or play the most recent pc games, a desktop is critical. Not solely do they have a tendency to begin out with additional advanced specifications than laptops, however the components square measure simply removable and interchangeable. If you graphics card isn't any longer actuation its weight, yank it out and place a brand new one in. If you wish to try and do this with a laptop computer - smart luck.

6. Anklebiter

Anklebiter New Member

It depends on what qualities have the computer in general. For me, I rather a desktop computer, you can buy it piece by piece or a complete one, you can upgrade anything you want just by buying a new part and that versatility makes everything easier and comfortable. But, with the laptop, if you don't like, for example: the RAM it has, the video card or anything, there's nothing you can do but buy getting a new one, it's a real shame, that's why I rather the desktop computers so much.

7. caiocoutinho17

caiocoutinho17 New Member

Do you prefer power x price or convenience and mobility? PC's are more powerful and you can buy one cheaper piece by piece, while with notebooks you can carry them (mostly) anywhere.

8. Elvis271

Elvis271 New Member

Laptops are better than desktops because they are portable and very effective. This means that you can go anywhere with them, without getting exhausted and also they seems to be more secured than desktop since of their size. Laptops are more effective than desktops since they are loaded with modern features.

9. Chiefson

Chiefson New Member

I can't remember the last time I used a desktop. I've been using a laptop since I entered College. Personally, I think a desktop is quite limited in mobility. You can't move it around if you want to. A laptop on the other hand, can be moved around and is handy. Mobility is a very important factor to me as I carry my personal computer around most times.

Personally, I think desktops are gradually phasing out of the system and are being replaced by laptops.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  10. KoechBrian

KoechBrian New Member

I could not agree more and those are some of the reasons why laptops are better than desktop computers. Additionally, laptops are power efficient, take up less room and much easier to transport especially internationally.

Essentially, the choice comes down to portability versus functionality and cost.

11. TheBigWolf

TheBigWolf New Member

It depends on your priorities. If you travel a lot and want to work while travelling,then laptop is a great choice but if not,then desktop is a better choice.

Desktops can do almost everything that a laptop can do. Desktops have a comparatively bigger screen. Working and particularly gaming experience on a laptop can never match that of a desktop.
    A desktop provides a great experience. Laptops are mainly used by people who commute a lot.

12. alexowoade

alexowoade New Member

Laptop is better than desktop. The reasons why I think Laptop is better than Desktop are firstly Laptop is portable and convenient. We can carry it to everywhere we want. Moreover, we can use Laptop indoor or outdoor while Desktop can’t do like this because desktop is much more heavy. This is the advantage for Me when I go outside and want to do homework, laptop can support my needs because it is convenient for me to use it to do my homework or to do my project. Secondly, laptop has battery so when electricity has problem, we can continue doing our work and save the file.

While desktop, if we don’t have uninterrupted power supply (UPS) and electricity has problem, we may lose our work (I used to have this experience with desktop before. In the past because the price of UPS is so high that I can’t afford and unfortunately the electricity has problem, while I concentrated with my work and did not save the file. So I have to start my homework all over again.

That’s why I appreciate Laptop because it has reserved battery and I do not have to start doing my work again. Thirdly, laptop has good design and looks modern, while desktop is conventional and looks old fashioned for example Desktop has large dimensions and requires large area for operation. I live in a modern home which has limited area, so I can use laptop at the Sofa or on my bed which PC can’t. Fourthly, laptop is cheaper in electricity charge because laptop uses only 65-100 watts while Desktop uses more than 350 watts, we pay less when use laptop than desktop. During the economic downturn period, energy saving appliance is very suitable because it can help you save money in your pocket.

For the above mentioned reasons, I think laptop is better than desktop. Therefore, I suggest everybody to buy laptop.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  13. lead

lead New Member

It is expected that a greater percentage of people will prefer a laptop to a desktop computer based solely on this aspect, PORTABILITY. I will also take a queue from these majority and buttress my point further based on a workplace. The invention of laptop have made it possible for an individual to make any "ideal" place a work place as long as the job can be done over the internet space.
    Another point that influence my bias for laptop is the battery factor. The ability to use this device for a period of time without looking out for an electric socket makes it a better choice when compared to the desktop computer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  14. mary231

mary231 New Member

Yes they are since, they are more modern and they seem to go hand in hand in today's world of tasks. They are portable and less bulky in comparison with desktop computers which tends to be more bigger and bulky with a lot of peripherals attached to them.

15. zenJ

zenJ New Member

Depends on what you really want from a computer and what kind of a lifestyle do you lead. I spent majority of my day in front of a computer and I'm a big video game fan which is why I prefer desktop. They simply offer more flexibility in terms of upgrading and a lot more power for gaming and a lot of other things. However, if you need to use your computer frequently, but you're not stationary, then laptop is a great solution. When I was in college, I couldn't live without it and I couldn't even imagine being a single day without it.

16. Jerick Gwapo

Jerick Gwapo New Member

If we are talking about portability, for sure laptop wins. Though if we are talking about the built and use, I prefer a desktop one.

Lets first discuss about laptop. A laptop can be taken anywhere we want and we could use it whenever and wherever we want because it is smaller than the desktop and we can use it even during travels. For sure laptop win over this matter. The only downside for laptops is that the cooling system is fixed and cannot be further modified unlike desktops. The system unit of a desktop can be modified and upgraded. We have what we so called "Modded Desktop Computers" wherein they are built piece by piece for a better performance. Computer Engineers can assemble a desktop buying different brands and models of the components of a desktop. For example are the hard disks, the CPU, the RAM and the cooling system. For desktop, we can use this for a long period of time comparing to laptops. Desktops are for people that uses the computer in a longer period of time. Laptops overheats and this is the downside of the laptop.

All in all, both of this type of computers are handy and can be used by a person.

17. pioneerauthor2017

pioneerauthor2017 New Member

Literally, laptop computers have some advantages over the desktop computers in the areas of energy consumption, portability, durability and comfortability. A Laptop computer truly consumes much less energy than the desktop one as the whole of its components and accessories are packed in one place. That makes it portable and, for that reason, preferred by most computer users and operators. In computer villages and marketplaces where computer accessories are sold, desktop computers are now hard to get.

The monitor (Visual Display Unit) alone consumes much more energy than the central processing unit which is the brain of the computer. Thus, whenever there's power outage, the Uninterrupted power system might not be able to save an appreciable amount of data. Using a laptop computer gives some sort of comfortability. It can be used at the comfort of your bedroom, inside the car or just anywhere it's going to be used.

18. JonathanS

JonathanS New Member

Well, from what I've noticed, it depends on the purpose of that individual. Laptops can incorporate the same characteristics and specs of a desktop. However, laptops introduce a mobility aspect that desktops don't have. It's also good to keep in mind that not all laptops are easy to upgrade with RAM and graphics cards as not all of them have removable parts.

As a gamer, I prefer having a desktop compared to a laptop. The main downside for me of a desktop is the amount of energy used to keep it going. Desktops can also be quite bulky. But ultimately, it comes down to what your needs are and what you're trying to accomplish.

19. Kallol Sengupta

Kallol Sengupta New Member

Choosing between laptop and desktop is peoples choice and the kind of work they do. If you are a hardcore gamer or you are in editing then desktop is best in terms of performance and if you need to work on computer at the same time you need to travel a lot then you go for a laptop. Different people different opinion, for me laptop works best because I am an explorer and love to surf internet and write while travelling.

20. Unilever001

Unilever001 New Member

Depending on purpose of use and what you really wants to achieve. Laptops are portable and easy to carry about. They can be used anytime a need arise. A desktop is not as portable as a laptop but they also provide the advantage of being the choice when we require a base station in our work