IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Are you an artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Crystal Ross, May 12, 2016.

1. Crystal Ross

Crystal Ross New Member

Are you an artist? What are some problems you come across as an artist? I've notices that I know how to make art but I don't have a clue how to get people to buy it. Another problem I've had is that my family don'ts consider it a real job so they are always interrupting while I work. The pay can also be inconsistent from month to month which makes paying bills a nail bitting experience. What problems have you had?

2. Steph4real

Steph4real New Member

I've had the same problem with being able to make cool art pieces but not being able to sell them. I've been making art (at least drawing and painting) since I was a baby but have maybe only sold one thing in my life! I think it's just that my art isn't a style that a lot of people go for. It can sometimes be very "loud" and too "colorful" for most people's tastes.

3. Gad

Gad New Member

I can relate.I have loved since I was a small kid.However, all through I did not get any support from my family.I even wanted to do an art's course but they insisted on another 'better' course.

Currently I do pencil portraits and I have been able to do afew commisions.There are,of course,people who expect to be drawn for free.Others usually want to pay pea nuts.However,the passion in me keeps going.With each portrait,I get better.

4. kymdynis

kymdynis New Member

I live in Kenya, which means we have a diverse music taste. Once, an Kenyan Coast guy came up to me and passed me a flash disk and told me to play one song.

Now, usually I would say sorry and no, but it was his birthday party and I don't wish to offend or ruin his party and to see sad faces. I decided to import the flash contents and maybe play one song.

The flash disk was full of Arabic classics and all the titles were in Arabic

5. Iole

Iole New Member

I play different instruments, from drum to guitar, and ethnical instruments as well, but I dont really consider myself an artist...

6. wasswa sharif

wasswa sharif New Member

I offered art in A-level and am greatfull that I really perfomed well in all the papers we did. Its so unfortunate that the market for art in my country is too low and its really hard to earn a living especially when you are new in the industry.

7. James Fielder

James Fielder New Member

No. I'm a dabbler. I'll never acquire the skills you need to make it because I always roam from project to project without finishing what I've started. I guess I need more time limits on my goals ...

8. iamawriter

iamawriter New Member

Fortunately I have no issues giving vent to my creativity.

I write poems but have not published them. I have a passion for photography. I take great joy in capturing subjects of my choice and I am happy with the results.

Creating flower arrangement both fresh and dry is yet another of my artistic interests. I had a one woman show a few years ago which was a great success. A hotel had bought quite a few of them.

And last but not the least I am a landscaped garden designer. This was my business a few years ago and I had great success in designing for builders and individuals. My own garden is designed which, besides the usual trees and flowers has a birdbath and a waterfall.

9. overratedmermaid

overratedmermaid New Member

I'm a commission artist, which definitely doesn't even come close to paying bills. If I tried to sell artwork to the general public, I wouldn't find any buyers. However, I find commission work by submitting to galleries and art festivals, and I've found people who enjoy my work seek me out. My advice would be to look into call for artists in a simple google search. From there, you can gain exposure and find an audience. Hope this helps!

10. flowgard

flowgard New Member

I used to be an artist. Back then, I suffered from frequent art blocks and almost always struggled to find the motivation to draw.

Well, I think you'll have a better chance selling your art if you promote yourself more and build up a reputation on social media. People are more likely to buy art from someone they like and trust. While we're at it, maybe you'd like to check out Patreon? It's a platform that greatly benefits artists like you.

11. icanbe

icanbe New Member

I totally understand the frustration of any artist that isn't living their purpose. I am an animator and cartoonist. I strongly believe that as a headstrong artist that we need to focus on how you can make your art sustain you. I have done live illustrations for events and that is a great way to start the process of making a living with what I do. I am working on selling original art online and seeing how that goes.