IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

ARMS came out today for the Nintendo Switch, What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Liamshakspear, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Liamshakspear

Liamshakspear New Member

I picked up a copy of ARMS after work today and have been playing for the past few hours. It's a fairly unique if somewhat shallow fighting game and I wanted to know what you guy's thoughts were.

Right off the bat, the motion controls are really fun and intuitive. I feel that the game was designed from the ground up to accommodate them. Everyone moves somewhat slow, attacks are deliberate and well telegraphed, and there's a deliberate delay in some actions so that you have to commit to your commands. In some ways, it kind of feels like a turn based system. Having said that, the motion controls also feel like an incredible hindrance. Maybe it takes a while to get used to, but I had such a hard time with accurately attacking, moving, and dodging in short intervals.

The characters all have fun designs and unique abilities that sets them apart. There are a lot of maps with different gimmicks such as bouncy boxing ropes and destroyable platforms. Add that to a variety of novelty modes, tons of arms to equip, and lots of splatoon esque updates, makes ARMS a surprisingly robust game. From my experience, it has a lot of variety but not a lot of depth. It seems like the kind of game that would be a blast at parties but I don't know if it will ever be a competitive fighting game. Have you guys picked it up yet? What are your thoughts?

edit: My arms are too tired to correct for grammar.