IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Being A Colorblind Computer Graphics Artist

Discussion in 'Computer Graphics' started by edware, Sep 30, 2017.

1. edware

edware New Member

So I am red-green colorblind, but I have been interested in things like Photoshop and web design for several years. Being colorblind often makes things more difficult than they should be, but I do my best to not let my colorblindness hold me back. If I need to find a specific color I usually have to Google the color's hex code and sometimes I need to ask others for opinions on color schemes and the like. I have heard about glasses for colorblind people, but they don't always work and they are very expensive. Now with that said I was wondering if there were any other colorblind people with similar ambitions and if they have any tips or tricks they could share.

2. kenshie87

kenshie87 New Member

Actually, I have a friend same as you, the interesting part is that he works as a computer animator, he is also a color blind person like you do, maybe one day I will introduce him to you. He works in the industry for about 10 years now, and he makes a good income out of it, maybe if you just follow your dreams nothing is impossible, think BIG dream BIG my friend! ;)

3. sager

sager New Member

I do not have the condition, but I have years of artistic experience and knowledge of the art field.

A lot of people do mostly black and white stuff, like portraits of real people and/or comics, that do not have color restrictions, really. For example, in america comic artists have many jobs (compared to Japan, where you usually do everything yourself) - one person can draw a sketch, another does line work, and a third does all the coloring( hence, colorist). It is a common approach for comic publishers, like Marvel.

It really depends on what you want to do in art. Some people rock just the color palette they prefer using. You can do great just by black and white, or with one color added, like red or gold. Do, what you feel like doing. There are no rules in art.