IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Best maintenance method for your computers?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by fishbate, Feb 25, 2018.

1. fishbate

fishbate New Member

Keeping your computer maintained is the best way to assure efficiency and durability of your system. There are different types of maintenance methods that can be use to maintain your system. One of my favorite method is preventive maintenance.
    Preventive maintenance allows me to repair or do inspection of my unit on a scheduled manner. This allows me to make use of my time in the most efficient way.

This method works for me personally, it has been a great success when it comes to my computer reliability.
    What maintenance method you use for your computer?

Jezreel likes this.
  2. Tiago Henrique

Tiago Henrique New Member

I personally prefer preventive maintenance because it ensures a longer life and better functioning of the computers, avoiding, for example, the burning of important components such as processors and hard drives.

It should be performed regardless of whether the computer has problems or defects at least once a year.

Jezreel likes this.
  3. justmine

justmine New Member

Cleaning my downloads folder is only the first and most obvious step. The downloads folder compose of forgotten files that you no longer need, and these files are likely scattered around your system. I'm also using the clean master app just to clean up my computer, It helps me to clear the cache, cookies delete some unwanted files running in my computer. Run a malware scan to stay on top of virus prevention, you should also always update your anti virus. I scan my hard drive for possible error every once a month just to make sure there are no physical problems occurring. I need to back up my files also for possible problem, there are a lot of important files inside my computer. Cleaning the dust from my computer and to the cabling helps a lot also to avoid the unwanted noise from fan.

Jezreel likes this.
  4. EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja New Member

I also do preventive maintenance. First I try to clean my operating system by uninstalling unused apps. I also update my operating system and antivirus products. After doing some security updates, I scan my computer for virus or malware that may be running without my knowledge.

After doing software maintenance, I do some hardware checks. I check if all my hardware components' health is okay. I check the RAM, GPU, CPU, HDD, and SSD if all of them are showing optimal performance. I open laptop or desktop's case if I will clean the dust off and then I will replace the thermal paste of both CPU and GPU if it needs replacement. :)

Jezreel likes this.
  5. Jezreel

Jezreel New Member

That was a bright thing to ask. knowing the right way of maintaining your computer can make the lifespan of your computer much longer and comfortable to use.

First thing you should remember is to put your computer in a safe place, always have a set of cloth or cover to every peripherals of your computer. specially your system unit. you should always check your system unit for dusts. paint brush good enough to remove those dust. do it on your monitor,keyboard, printers and System Unit. this are the thing you should always remember when it comes to hardware maintenance.

Next is your Software maintenance. You Should always have an updated anti-virus. It was a great help to protect your system from external drives such as Flash drive. also always install a disc cleaner that cleans your computer away from bad sectors and software trashes. I can recommend to you. to download "System Care" application. This is a great help for your software maintenance.

These are a simple things that you can do to maintain your computer and run it smoothly. hope it can help :)

6. zdevilinside

zdevilinside New Member

I really do not do any maintenance on my systems anymore because I have automated it. I have created a "better disk cleanup" that will go in and clear out temp files, etc automatically for me on a daily basis. I also have it run disk defrag about 2 hours after disk cleanup has been run.

This is how I automated the process for disk cleanup:

Step 1.
    Create a new text file and place the following contents inside:

c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /dc /sageset: 1
    c:
    cd \
    cd c:\windows\prefetch
    del *.* /q

Step 2.
    Save the file, changing the extension from .txt to .bat
    For this tip's purpose, we will call it clean.bat

Step 3.
    Execute the file. This will run the Disk Cleanup program in a special mode which asks what items you will want cleaned when Disk Cleanup performs an unattended cleanup. Check the items you wish to have cleaned up, then click OK.

Step 4.
    Right-click on the clean.bat file and click edit. Change the first line to read:

c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /dc /sagerun: 1

Step 5.
    Save the file. You can execute this file in place of running Disk Cleanup, or, to have this program run unattended, run the Add Scheduled Task Wizard in the Control Panel and create a scheduled task using the clean.bat file you just created.