IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Best way to lose 40 pounds?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Ashley0323, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Ashley0323

Ashley0323 New Member

I am currently weighing in at 170. I am wanting to lost about 40 pounds. I will be purchasing a gym membership tomorrow and I am also beginning to eat healthier as well. What exercises are good to lose weight quickly? What kind of diets are most effective? Any tips? Thanks!

Jane Marie likes this.
  2. jb1rd78

jb1rd78 New Member

I have been dieting and losing weight for 20 months. I started my journey 2/7/15 and so far I've lost a total of 83 pounds. I first started on a low fat diet, where I was eating 6 times a day, 3 meals and 3 snacks which consisted of a combination of lean, low fat meats and good carbohydrates. I ate alot of baked fish and chicken, and a lot of salads and yogurt.

I also was exercising regularly. I was walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes, and then lifting weights for 1 hour. I did this at least 3 times a week. It worked, I lost 35 pounds in a few months. But I can honestly say that I didn't like losing weight this way. I didn't like the food I ate, and I hated exercising.

So, my sister turned me on to the low carb diet. I did research on the Atkins diet and I liked what I read and began to try it. I can tell you that I love it! I get to eat a lot of the foods I love, and I don't feel like I am starving myself. Also, I do not exercise and I have lost an additonal 27 pounds since April.

3. Mandi

Mandi New Member

The only simple true method is to reduce calories and move! Look into counting macros. Focus more on weight training as opposed to cardio. The more muscle you have on your body, the more calories your body burns just to function.

4. Jane Marie

Jane Marie New Member

Joining a gym is a brilliant idea to help you to lose weight, especially as dieting should go hand in hand with exercising. I personally like swimming as it exercises every muscle without it feeling like you are actually exercising.

As far as the diet goes, cut right back on carbs and sugar. Your body will first convert carbs into sugar for its usable power, this takes two days. Then your body will use up the sugar, and only once it has used up the carbs and sugar, will it eventually start burning off the fat. If you can understand this about your body then you will see that fat is not the enemy. Eat a good healthy diet of fruit and vegetables, protein, and salad. Stay away from flour products and processed food, eat healthily and you will see the weight drop off in no time.

Bob Loblaw likes this.
  5. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw New Member

I concur completely with Jane. I read somewhere that 20% of the calories an average person consumes is from soybean oil. I personally avoid all genetically compromised products, but especially for corn and soy, I don't even buy organic, non-GMO varieties because they're basically low-nutrient feed rather than nutritious food. As I see it, there's no such thing as "junk-food". There's food, and then there's junk. Don't eat junk. Easier said than done but it really is that simple- identify the junk and treat it like toxic waste or a counterfeit food.

If you stop drinking soda and eating anything with corn syrup (can be hard to find bread without corn syrup in it) then you'll eliminate a very large amount of calories form your diet and when you eat you'll almost certainly be eating more nutritious food in it's place. So instead of having a soda and some corn chips, if you commit to eat something else it will almost inevitably be something that will give you more nutrients and energy and ramp up your metabolism instead of being "empty calories" that go to your waist. That could be yogurt and cereal with some walnuts or whatever you want, as long as it's real food and you like it.

I started my "health-quest" when I found a local health-food store and I decided I would start with real bread. From there it was just a matter of incrementally finding wholesome substitutes and committing to not eating junk. Now I don't eat corn or soy or any GMOs (ever) and I feel great, and don't feel deprived. I can have something like a buffalo or grass-fed beef burger and feel energized unlike back when I was younger and would have a burger from a fast-food joint and feel full but sluggish.

6. praveen

praveen New Member

1.Drink a lot of water.
    2.Drink Lemon Water in the mornings.
    3.Do your regular exercises/yoga.
    4.Eat vegetables or fruits as a Breakfast.(little)
    5.Eat watermelons,cantaloupes,sprouts,Egg white,Avoid white rice,Avoid junk food.
    6.Eat before 7:00 pm in the evenings
    7.Have sleep of minimum 8-9 hours.

7. AlessMeison

AlessMeison New Member

Im on diet too, and the best ia working for me is just to drink a green juice on nights

8. jakejake

jakejake New Member

Drink water and cardiod