IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Can Music Reduce Stress

Discussion in 'Music' started by 6ends, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Friclya

Friclya New Member

I am probably sure it does reduce stress and tension. Music has the ability to quickly shift our mood, affecting our subconscious mind where irksome negative thoughts feed on our fears and fuels the fires of stress.

Listening to music is a relatively inexpensive, quick-acting solution that’s almost always available, and it could just save your life full of boredom.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. tirex182

tirex182 New Member

Comparatively, if you're happy more tranquil music you listen to music at all times and do not listen to rock music or heavy genre. It may be that later on you more stress and make your suggestions to suicide. I myself prefer when stress EDM music such as Clarity, Summer, and others. Stress can also be removed with fine music listening to music.

3. vistatech

vistatech New Member

I am a medico and from both, my knowledge of psychology and y personal experiences I can guarantee that music reduces stress. I have found that music, esp. those relating to the situation I am in or healing mantras cheer me up and reduce the stress.

4. phantom7

phantom7 New Member

Hello Friclya,yes indeed music really does ease stress but not all music does. Music that is slow and soothing is mostly advised when resting after some kind of work or in romantic situations. This is one of the easiest ways to avoid stress,especially if the song reminds you of the good times or loved ones.

Heavy metal music can also relieve stressfull thoughts by raising some adrenaline rush,excitement and vigorous activities. This will most definitely reduce any problems you might have although it might be for a short period of time.

5. jerlanalves

jerlanalves New Member

I believe on the same thing. It depends on the music I think. For example, some days when I get up with bad humor, I always put a relax song like musics from Chico Buarque, Zeca Baleiro and other MPB artists(I'm brazilian). This really makes me feel better.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. Kalyani Nandurkar

Kalyani Nandurkar New Member

Yes, I believe that music can relieve stress. Music is linked to our emotions in a way that most probably, no other thing has been found to be. eg. you only have to hear a strains of some music you probably heard when you were a child, or during some incident which left a mark on you , to relive those moments again.

Music is soothing and calms us down effectively. Music connects people and helps them bond with each other unlike any other thing.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  7. mccanono

mccanono New Member

Absolutely! Music is not only for enjoyment but it also helps in reducing (if not eliminating) stress. At work, I often listen to some classical music while doing my tasks in order to avoid being stressed given the nature of my job where I deal with solving problems.

Try listening to songs that make you feel good, or any song that reminds you of a happy moment. That way, your brain, instead of focusing too much on the problem will divert its attention (slightly) to a happy thought thus reducing stress.

8. Giovanni Perini

Giovanni Perini New Member

It's funny because you can reduce stress with genres that are diametrically opposed, like Chill Out music (Buddha Bar, Cafe del Mar), New Age music, and the most furious Heavy Metal. I think that when you're young, you tend to express your rage more, within your circle of like-minded friends, using music as an ideal weapon to "fight the power"; as an adult, you're more socialized (and maybe more depressed), the days of head-banging are over, so you need a music with a calm, positive atmosphere that helps your mind create images of nature (oceans, forests, water, etc.).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  9. rodrigofischer

rodrigofischer New Member

Every thing that you love doing, by doing them, you can lower your stress level. Playing football , for me, results in lower stress levels.

Any kind of activity that you like doing really can lower your stress level! So, this way, music can also provide the same results. It is a scientific fact actually, all you need to do is search for it.

10. morgoodie

morgoodie New Member

Music can absolutely relieve stress in us. My daughter goes to a therapist and the therapist always has classical music playing in the waiting room. We practically fall asleep listening to it. I think it helps my daughter to relax before she goes in to talk to the doctor. I like to listen to different types of music but when I want to relax I always put on something slow and easy like Enya. After a few minutes, it is like you can feel the stress leaving your body and mind. It is such a great feeling and I wish that I could do it more often but sometimes there is not enough time in the day.

11. Isaiah Guto

Isaiah Guto New Member

It is real music can reduce stress. The secret of music is that it has a soothing effect making the mind and the whole body feel relaxed. I love listening to Christian songs because I feel uplifted, and the message gives me the spiritual nourishment. I agree with hamdi44 who said that the body operate on a logical structure.

12. Hudson Thompson

Hudson Thompson New Member

I do believe that music can reduce stress, and many would agree in the scientific community. There are many articles on the internet dedicated to answering this complicated question, but music is very powerful. It is said to improve our lives completely, and although music can and has reduced stress I believe it can do the opposite. If you are listening to a very aggravated tone of music you are more likely to behave and feel the mood the music is conveying yourself. Personally during any experience that is stressful, depressing, or even exciting I listen to music that helps me during the time.

13. iqmaldanial

iqmaldanial New Member

With all these classical musics recommended. What about electronic musics? Those like Far Away by Tristam & Braken. I really enjoy this kind of music but sometimes I need the quietness to let my mind relax.

14. kapoor

kapoor New Member

I do believe that music can reduce stress.It all depends on the type of genre which can please your mind.Music can give us a good and relaxing sleep.I love to hear songs of "Adele" when I am in bed at night.It is subjective.Some people like rock music and some go for classical or jazz.So it depends on the person that which kind of music can relax him/her.

15. Alex Pascal

Alex Pascal New Member

Recently I read an article about music and health. The scientists tested how classical music and nature sounds affect levels of hormone cortisol and also alpha amylase. The alpha amylase levels of people who listened to classical music went back to normal more rapidly compared to the people listening to nature sounds. This suggests that relaxing music helps the body and brain to return to a non-stressed level more quickly.
    The people listening to relaxing music showed a stress level response that was shorter compared to the other groups. The shorter response helps to avoid our body from getting worn out. And this means that listening to relaxing melody might help to improve the stress response and health.

16. nmatbd

nmatbd New Member

Yes i think music some times help to reduce stress . Its rythem, bits, music can help to relax our never . It can help to sleep also .But not metal or rock obviously.

17. MichkaMartina

MichkaMartina New Member

I can attest to the fact that music does reduce stress. I have different playlists for my different moods. The types of songs that you listen to for the stress reduction I think varies from person to person. I will listen to gospel, hip hop, R&B and some rap music to uplift, motivate, or calm me in stressful situations. It may a completely different genre for others.

18. LucrativeFlow

LucrativeFlow New Member

Oh definitely, in any occupation stress is inevitable whether or not you are good at what you do. I say this because being in management after a long day music is one of the escapes I use in the car on the way home. During my working hours the workers I work with want to hear music, it seems to have a different effect on their performance. I've noticed that when the music is on some do a better job with a rhythm they have, and others seem to drift into the music and be consumed by it, but none the less they aren't stressed when they do hear the music in the background.

19. kapoor

kapoor New Member

I believe that music can reduce stress.The soothing power of music is well-established. It has a unique link to our emotions, so can be an extremely effective stress management tool.Listening to music can have a tremendously relaxing effect on our minds and bodies, especially slow, quiet classical music. This type of music can have a beneficial effect on our physiological functions, slowing the pulse and heart rate, lowering blood pressure, and decreasing the levels of stress hormones.As music can absorb our attention, it acts as a distraction at the same time it helps to explore emotions. This means it can be a great aid to meditation, helping to prevent the mind wandering.Musical preference varies widely between individuals, so only you can decide what you like and what is suitable for each mood. But even if you don’t usually listen to classical music it may be worth giving it a try when selecting the most calming music.

20. kapoorpk

kapoorpk New Member

Yes,music can reduce stress.
    Music has been used for hundreds of years to treat illnesses and restore harmony between mind and body. But recently, scientific studies have attempted to measure the potential benefits of music. They have found:Music’s form and structure can bring order and security to disabled and distressed children. It encourages coordination and communication, so improves their quality of life.Listening to music on headphones reduces stress and anxiety in hospital patients before and after surgery.Music can help reduce both the sensation and distress of both chronic pain and postoperative pain.Listening to music can relieve depression and increase self-esteem ratings in elderly people.Making music can reduce burnout and improve mood among nursing students.Music therapy significantly reduces emotional distress and boosts quality of life among adultcancer patients.