IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Can Music Reduce Stress

Discussion in 'Music' started by 6ends, Jun 3, 2015.

1. vrenelli

vrenelli New Member

I believe music can reduce stress. It all depends on what music you like. Some like R&B, some like Metal, Rock, Pop and so on.

To reduce stress, I play relaxing music. Enya is my first pick especially the albums "The Celts" and "Watermark". Enya’s clear, steady and moving voice helps me relax at times when I feel stressed. If you're the kind that likes instrumental music that takes to a whole new level, Yanni is the best. Try his album "Acropolis".

The third the comes to mind is Relaxing Dog Music (Dogs and Cats Sleep Chillout Music). I have 8 fur-babies and when I try to calm them down on New Year's Eve (because of the fireworks), it works. I tried cuddling with one of my fur-babies while the music was playing and I ended sleeping LOL. There's a lot you can download on Youtube.

2. prasanna kumar

prasanna kumar New Member

Well there are sufficient evidences that music is found to reduce both physical and mental stresses, Music has a unique connection with our emotions and it is found to stimulate the release of few stress free hormones into our body which causes the relaxation of the muscles and mind, however it all depends on the genre and type of music we listen, relaxing music, nature sounds are found to be more effective in reducing stresses rather than jazz and bands. Besides excessive listening to music can also sicken people, so its better to keep every thing in limits.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. kaylaball

kaylaball New Member

I definitely believe that music can reduce stress, however I do think that the type of music plays a huge role. It is normally assumed that soft, slow, relaxing music is the type of sounds associated with reduced stress, but I have experienced differently. When I am stressed, I like to listen to both tranquil and upbeat music. Preferably rap or R&B, I like to listen to music that gets my mind off of my troubles. Sometimes we can become conditioned to listen to tranquil music when we are going through things but that can subconsciously combat the positive effect of the music.
    But in layman's terms, yes, music can lead to stress relief.

4. Prasert

Prasert New Member

Well, somehow music is linked to our psychological aspect of the brain. Thus, it does affect our brain and can possibly reduce stress. However, it really depends on what kind of music you are listening to. I mean soothing music as compared to heavy metal do pose differences in affecting our mood when we listen to it.

5. Zacharia

Zacharia New Member

Music definitely reduces stress. Especially cool music. As the mind is able to concentrate and forget the current situation that was making you be in a stress mode. Hence, the mind is able to focus and provides an ultimate solution to the problem.

6. wizzywiz

wizzywiz New Member

One man's meat is another man's poison. Just go with whatever works for you. when i am stressed out, i usually listen to RnB or pop music. It may not be the same for you.

7. Zacharia

Zacharia New Member

That is very true Wizzywiz.

8. hhhsquare35

hhhsquare35 New Member

I love classical music. It may be vocal or instrumental. It soothes your mind and induces energy to combat everyday problems. Some theists also say that devotional songs in classical music connects us to god. It contributes to the well-being of every human-being.

9. awilson92

awilson92 New Member

Music can definitely reduce stress! At this university i went to they offered a music therapy degree and a masters as well. I find music very soothing unless I specifically chose a song to amp me up so to speak. I read somewhere that your heart rate will try to match the beat of the song you are listening to.

10. Jaylah

Jaylah New Member

Hello, I believe music can reduce stress. I also, believe that music can add stress. One may think "really; how?". Sometimes its not always about the instruments or the noise in my opinion. Words are very powerful. I've sat in my room countless times stressed out listening to music. I was mostly listening to the words. Sometimes some songs came on that heightened my anxiety response and made me have to turn it. Sometimes songs give you a good cry as well. They could be tears of joy or tears of sadness. This makes me think that overall music can reduce stress because, ironically those tears are an outlet. I guess it could be a catch-22 leaning more towards a yes. :)

11. Pady

Pady New Member

My answers is definitely will be 'yes'. Music really reduces the stress. But it depends on which type of music you are listening.

12. docx

docx New Member

Hello my friends.

Not every music can reduce stress.There are some music that can cause ear's cancer.These music can cause depression in our brain.
    There are some music that cause loops in our brain and in specific situation ,they are going to start playing in our mind.For example ,when I have an exam ,the level of adrenaline is to high and at the "right moment" the music starts playing.

13. pl1726

pl1726 New Member

definitely! listening to music that you like makes you happy and that in return lowers your stress levels

14. Arly2298

Arly2298 New Member

Stress reduction is something that not everybody can reach to do since it's quite complex, especially when your mind doesn't play it cool on you. However, listening to music could definitely help to relieve stress and anxiety, according to what my parents used to tell me, listening to music right after having a bad time would really help you out and even change the way you see things in a certain moment, which happens a lot to me, though.

15. Rhomhie Morelh Campo

Rhomhie Morelh Campo New Member

I myself really enjoyed music, as it helps me to improve my mood and encouraging me to do more and persistent on the thing that i am doing, and listening to music relieves my from stress and all the negative factors that are happening in my life in day to day basis, I just cannot imagine myself without the aid of music around me it feels like that music is already part of my ongoing lifestyle. Since i was still a child my parents owe a jukebox that they turned on every morning, and boosting our happiness in the house, not to mention also the neighbors that is when i started to love music because the influence that comes from my parents.

16. Antonio Savannah

Antonio Savannah New Member

Music can reduce stress. Spontaneous music-making can kill the stress response from becoming persistent. Working hard towards correcting the trouble that is triggering the pressure can help you. Potential of music is calming and deep-rooted.

17. wasswa sharif

wasswa sharif New Member

Absolutely! Especially slow music and jazz. Really refreshing.

18. VLXF

VLXF New Member

Yes, there is no doubt that music has this wonderful ability. From influencing our heartbeat, breathing and brainwaves. These are all rhythmic aspects of our physical nature that directly influence our mindstate. A nice piece of piano music for example can make your mind just get lost in a beautiful daydream, releasing it of all the daily stresses it might have been carrying around. We slow down our breathing, probably without noticing it and just feel naturally calm and refreshed.

19. EJ Burg

EJ Burg New Member

Yes I believe that music can reduce ones stress levels and help with a lot more. I find that listening to music can help me concentrate, it can help me work for longer without realizing how much time goes by, this really help you increase productivity and stay active. I also find that music can help you push yourself much harder while excessing.

I think music has a lot of advantages even more than we may realize but I know just as brain wave therapy can change the states within you brain for the better by oscillating deferent frequencies of sound, music does the same.