IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Can Science and Religion be the same?

Discussion in 'Science' started by season, Nov 17, 2016.

1. caiocoutinho17

caiocoutinho17 New Member

Yes, I agree with you. But that's how religion, works. I mean, to follow a religion you need to have faith, and faith is that, just.. believe. I think it's a incredible thing, and both can exist as well, you don't have to have a explanation for everything.

2. Chiefson

Chiefson New Member

I don't think so, because how do you use science to explain miracles. I would have to say miracles is the only thing that proves to atheists, the existence of God. I have been battling with the thought of miracles for quite sometime now. Am not an atheist, but I used to think that, why should God grant a miracle to a lazy person, against another who is hardworking and hardly sleeps. But today, I just realized God's ways aren't like our's. It's difficult getting a miracle from Him, unless one is His devout worshiper.

So the only way religion can be in line with science, is if the belief of no miracles exists, because there is no possible way of explaining miracles with science.

3. ahmedo24

ahmedo24 New Member

From the Islamic perspective, religion is an already established rules and regulations that guides mankind in his daily activities and revelations on daily, monthly, yearly, decades and century basis and also in the hereafter. Science deals more with research, discoveries and development of the revelations made in the Holy Books of different religions. Science and religion is not the same. Thanks

4. ahmedo24

ahmedo24 New Member

From the Islamic perspective, religion is an already established rules and regulations that guides mankind in his daily activities and revelations on daily, monthly, yearly, decades and century basis and also in the hereafter. Science deals more with research, discoveries and development of the revelations made in the Holy Books of different religions. Science and religion is not the same. Thanks

5. jamesblogger

jamesblogger New Member

I once had a professor that told me something that there is similarity on science and religion. I cannot remember the whole story but I remember the first sentence only and that is "We have a theory of bigbang and in the Bible on the first chapters there was a sentence, Let there be light". Of course that was here ideology but for me it's a no. I believe that bible was just a story from the past that powerful people spread. Science is based on facts while bible is just based on a book. Anyone can really start a book like that even me. There is just one big difference in the two and that is the creation of everything I think.

6. Samuel2017

Samuel2017 New Member

First of all, I will ask, what is religion and what is science? If I will have to see it the way you typed it, then, they are two different things. Science deals with life and matter that can be classified into composition, decomposition and properties of their state. While religion deals with the plan and the structure of worship to God or idols of different categories. Therefore, application sometimes might be interwoven, because of necessities.
    Examples, Moses in the scripture made a ship base on plan.etc

7. jay solano

jay solano New Member

I think it could co-exist. Maybe we already realized the cause of everything, yet still confusing to the matter of fact where religion overlap science. I believed we still don't understand everything, and some everything is over explain, but it was just plain simple. What I mean is that, it has a pattern like the fundamental law of science, and physics. I don't have a problem to understand everything, because it might not possible to the human mind.

Today, humans has a concept of dimensional spatial which by means that, something exist in the same plane in different reality. This is sometimes confusing, and it fall into the class of hoax. Maybe there is part of teaching of religion where in fact the true meaning of everything.

Even myself had hard of difficulties to explain about the higher form of science. Maybe there's a deity that exist where he can use of everything, even science and physical manifestation. What I try to explain was, maybe magic, miracle, and science are the same thing, yet it has another way of explanation.

8. roldya

roldya New Member

Science and religion aren't based on the same principle to begin with, nor do they have the same purpose. Religion is a guiding vessel and a social attribute called spirituality that people in a common cult can share to lighten the burden of being part of the species homo sapiens sapiens (ie. the only species worried about the meaning of life). On the other hand, science is derived from philosophy and is basically a way of looking at things based on the observation of evidence and conducting experiments.

Science doesn't require initiation/rituals and is not dogmatic in nature, that is, it is open to change and is thus not based on a belief system; though certain individuals normally tend to think one explanation to a phenomenon is more reasonable than another, there is usually no discussion as to whether or not given phenomenon occurred.

Completely opposite, religion requires faith to believe in what is recorded as history must be taken dogmatically and imposes several moral and philosophical values/rules/laws that must be put to practice by the followers of the given religion. Additionally, many religions offer punishments and rewards for these rules. In religion, it is normal that the individual discusses the possibility of whether or not the phenomena cited actually occurred rather than think on why they happen or how. Most questions as to the methodology are not explained in biblical texts.

9. Kings.teomanc

Kings.teomanc New Member

No! Science and religion can not, will not and never be the same. The reason being that they antagonize each other. Take biotechnology for instance, manipulation of genes for improvement of human existence is seen as a taboo in religion for tempering with nature. Two entities with different view points hardly compromise to their beliefs.

10. angeleyes09

angeleyes09 New Member

Science and Religion are two different things.They explain everything in different ways.There are things that Science cannot explain that only the bible can explain why.Science is based on matter while Religion is based on spirituality.I don't believe that things around us just appear with no reason.There is always a reason for everything.

11. akshaychouhan785

akshaychouhan785 New Member

Science is the religion of the nature.
    To understand on what principles nature runs you'll have to study nature's religion which needs a change in your perception from utilitarian to exploratory, from technological to scientific.

Other religions are just for reminding people about their moral values and humanity by the use of religious books with God's own words written in it, and the job of making sure that people belonging to certain religions conform to the values told by their Gods is taken by some of the priests and religious leaders who aren't even sure about moral values of themselves.

12. Eddielucky

Eddielucky New Member

Science and religion are two subjects sometimes agree other times they don't. Science tries to come up with explanations of everything concept in the universe such as the Big Bang and Darwin's Evolution Theory. But what initiated the processes such as the Big Bang.Everything must have an origin;this is the point science and religion meet.God initiated the processes.
    As of evolution,humans continue evolving with time.Most of the evolution is on the intellectual abilities of man.This is well exhibited by the daily advancements in technology. A century ago,cellphones,TVs were a dream.What about today?
    Even kids have the intellect to operate smart phones, play computer games and have simple knowledge on cash or finances.
    Science and religion meet at some point

13. Monique ST Lewis

Monique ST Lewis New Member

Science and religion can not be the same thing because being religious means you have a belief in God and is bout theories and testing theories. Science can help reaffirm some religious facts. For example it has been scientifically proven that the universe is expanding. In the Quran 1400 years ago it has been stated that [Quran 51.47] “And the heaven, We built it with craftsmanship and We are still expanding”. Science has shown that the words of Allah is truth but science and religion will never be the same.

14. reuben onyango

reuben onyango New Member

Evolution has not stopped if you look at photos of people taken about 100 years and how we look now you could actually see some difference in how we actually look.

the bible says the earth is flat, take a look at these verses:

1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”
    Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

If indeed this planet was designed and built by a superior being called God why would he not know the shape of the planet he or she created? Most people do not believe in the bible because it was written at a time when limited knowledge of the shape of the world and this manifested itself in the text of the bible.

Religions and science can never be the same because science examines phenomena and draws a conclusion from the findings but just how do you conduct experiments on a book that is based on faith and not physical things. The bible talks of a flood that wiped out the entire life on earth see the flood of Noah. To date, there is no evidence that at any moment in the history of this planet has life been wiped out with water. there would have been evidence on all mountain tops of animal fossils.

The bible talks about Israelis being slaves in Egypt yet the bible does not talk of pyramids which by the way were the equivalent of skyscrapers then. Do you want to say that the Israelis were not interested in the pyramids which they would have built since they were slaves in Egypt at that time?

15. davidwachira

davidwachira New Member

Religion and science cannot be the same in all aspects. This is because religion is based on faith and beliefs while science is based on facts and experiements.It is very difficult to prove something in religion through experiments as it is normally done in science.

Most of the time religion is not debatable as is derived from a supreme being who is not subject to arguments.On the other hand science is debatable and can be verified through experiments.

16. Papplin Kimore

Papplin Kimore New Member

Science and religion are two distinct things explaining creation in two different ways. While science tries to prove the origin of mankind through the evolution theory, religion explains mysterious and miraculous ways in which creation took place.

While science works to prove every point about the origin of man, religion only relies on faith and beliefs. You stand to choose what to believe.

17. aly.cam

aly.cam New Member

Personally, I believe religion was created to unify people and answer questions that people do not have the answers to. It seems a popular belief that science will replace religion as it has the answers to many natural and physical questions that plague humanity. However, it does not have the same ability to bond people through a core belief. Many scientists and people respect one another but are not as bonded as those in the same religious community. People of versatile backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, and intellects can gather by the thousands to celebrate a religious event. Science may replace the religious explanations but never the community of people it forms.

18. cmoneyspinner

cmoneyspinner New Member

You can't even get scientists to agree with each other and be “the same”. Similarly you can't get so-called religious people to agree with each other and be “the same”.

You ask the question AS IF … religion is religion and science is science.

AS IF … there is a clear dividing line.

Let's draw a dividing line.

Science searches for an understanding and explanation of what is going on in this life, in this world. Scientists don't concern themselves with finding answers outside of the physical universe. (Although some say that they do.) It's a full-time job that definitely keeps them busy.
    _________________________________________________________________________​

Religion, specifically Judaism and Christianity (that's my background), is a faith a belief about what will happen to us when we pass through this life and enter the next world. Religion is a belief that all the scientific explanations ~ “discoveries” ~ thus far have only ever explained what has always been happening from the beginning, but never explains WHO made it happen! Something got it started. We are born and we die but those scientific processes – explained or unexplained – continue. The world keeps turning even if we don't know how or WHO is spinning it!

* Can Science and Religion be the same?

Sure! If you can erase that dividing line.