IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Can you concentrate on other things while listening to music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Carlos Kerika, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Carlos Kerika

Carlos Kerika New Member

Music can really be useful when handling or managing your emotions. It is a common tool of entertainment. Do you do other things while listening to music? To be honest, I mostly do everything while listening to music but not the complicated stuff.

When I was studying in college before, I listen to music so I won't get bored or tired. It kind of gives me an energy boost especially when listening to R&B or pop music. :p Although, there are times that I get too addicted to the music and then I lose concentration of my studies. :confused:

Do you think listening to music while doing something helps you or endangers you? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions.

2. pol17

pol17 New Member

In my opinion I think it depends on what kind of music you are going to listen while doing other stuff,
    base on my experience I can't concentrate to do other things while I'm listening to a particular music,
    because I'm a music lover too, while I'm listening to music I just enjoying it while relaxing.

Papplin Kimore likes this.
  3. Bloomsie

Bloomsie New Member

I agree with @pol17 that it depends on the type of music you are listening to. For me, any music from the 90s, 2000's or now makes it very hard to concentrate. I am the type to put on some classical music (orchestrations or choral works) and let the harmonies take over. When listening to classical music, I am able to read for longer periods of time, focus better when driving and even have the patience to cook a recipe that takes longer than usual. I believe it is because classical music are not 3 minutes long like music nowadays and are between 7-20 minutes (depending on how many movements the song has). Therefore, the longer the song, the more you're in a focused trance.

I found classical music to be a lot more helpful in my everyday life than endangering. @Carlos Kerika , I would recommend listening to some classical music if you get caught up listening to R&B and pop!

cmoneyspinner likes this.
  4. Hx009

Hx009 New Member

No it rarely works for me.
    Songs have a sensible meaning, and its lyrics along with its music makes you emotionally attached to it.
    You became a different personality when you listen to that song. So working at that time is simply not posiible . you can travel while headphones on your ear but you cannot work.

5. Ayinna

Ayinna New Member

Yes I do other things while listening to music, especially if it happens to be a good music. Some songs have a way of bringing me to tears. Have you ever listened to a song where it feels like the song writer basically had in you in mind while writing the song?

I listen to music whenever I intend to relax my mind. It doesn't just make me feel good but it also makes it much more easier for me to confront whatever fears I have at that moment. For instance, I play Hip-hop whenever am about to do a chore at home. I just put on my headphone, scroll down to my Hip-hop playlist and let those songs take me away. Personally, I don't believe that there's any wrong thing one can do while listening to good music.

Apart from Hip-hop, I also play lots of songs from Kenny G, Celine Dion, Boys II Men and few others which is usually late at night when am about to sleep or early in the morning when I'm still in bed. I find it soothing.

6. Waf007

Waf007 New Member

Personally, I cannot concentrate on other things while listening to music. I tend to internalize everything I hear making my whole concentration to be on music. There was even a day I nearly burnt myself while I was cooking and at the same time listening to music.

7. Julliettematu

Julliettematu New Member

Well for me music can't distract me from whatever i am doing unless it is a song that i like. I can't assume a good song that is emotional.

It also depends on the mood that i am in. If i am happy, i tend to notice the music more. But as they say women can multitask but for men, it is a bit hard.

8. Dione

Dione New Member

For me, I can listen to music while doing absolutely anything else. Even when studying for my examinations. I read and listen to music at the same time because I concentrate on what am reading and the song plays at the background. I understand much better than studying in a quiet place.
    Also, when I do other physical activities I concentrate on the music more and find that I don't tire easily.

9. nekonieden

nekonieden New Member

Well, for me it all depends on what kind of music your listening to. For me I usually listen to music without any lyrics or just a musical instrument to relax my mind so I didn't even bother working while listening to music. The reason why I chose to listen musical instrument rather than a song with lyrics because I cannot concentrate and it bothers me because it makes me want to sing along with the song that's why I chose musical instrument particularly piano.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  10. ShroukHosny

ShroukHosny New Member

I listen to music most of the time , Music makes me feel good and it encourages me to work . I always feel tired and bored without music playing in my head . But sometimes loud music makes me lose concentration , Especially when I am studying something new that I need to focus on and memorize .

It sometimes makes me work slower than I do usually without listening to music . I totally stop listening to music during exams . I am addicted to it but I also have to control myself .

11. reesasamoa

reesasamoa New Member

I think it depends on the type of mood a person is in at the time because sometimes there can be too much noise and one may just want peace and quiet, literally, to help them concentrate.

While in school, I found that I couldn't concentrate on my homework unless I had my radio playing. It drove my father nuts. He couldn't understand how I can focus on a difficult math problem while someone was banging on drums or playing an electric guitar as we listened to rock music.

I have also found that while concentrating on other things like proofreading legal documents or creating spreadsheets, I actually tuned out the radio and was able to complete my tasks.

My daughter listens to music while she does her homework and it doesn't bother me at all because I understand why she does it.

12. Lillylabelle

Lillylabelle New Member

It depends with what am doing. For instance if am reading or watching I can't listen. I don't know if am poor at multitasking or what .But I tend to believe it's because am a perfectionist and I tend to internalize everything. In cases where I don't require much concentration I can listen. You know they say music is the soul's food.

13. Papplin Kimore

Papplin Kimore New Member

I always listen to music whenever reading. I don't know how it works but for sure it's the only way I can read a litany for long and understand.

It all depends on your likes and preferences and maybe what you are already used to @poll17

14. Bebelou Palanas

Bebelou Palanas New Member

I love listening to music while I'm doing some house chores. Music makes me do my daily task easy. Many of us listen to music while we work, thinking that it will help us to concentrate on the task whether we’re studying for an exam, driving a vehicle or even reading a book.

Personally, I feel so relaxed while listening to it. Music affects my emotions. Music can be used in daily life for relaxation, to gain energy when feeling drained.

The nature and style of the music can cause specific responses in the brain like funky music compels you to dance, sad music makes you melancholy, it really depends on our personal preference.

Music you like increases focus, while music you don’t impede it. Given the extreme variation in musical preferences from person to person, exposing your workforce or classroom to a single type of music would obviously end up with mixed results.

15. dom94

dom94 New Member

I know a lot of people listen to music while doing a certain chore/task in order to keep them relaxed. Well, personally I think that music can only help you concentrate if you are doing the right kind of task especially if it involves creativity. Also, it depends on the type of music you are listening to. Musical preferences vary from person to person. Based on my experience, I can't seem to concentrate while listening to music since I would definitely sing-along to the songs.

16. Kitcat

Kitcat New Member

It's extremely hard for me to study without music. I'll feel tense or uncomfortable for some reason. On the hand I can't focus on cooking if I have my headphones on so I really don't know why the concentration in one doesn't translate to my other activities. I think the most logical reason would maybe be the type of song i'm listening to but i'm not so sure.

17. Ravenclaw07

Ravenclaw07 New Member

I love listening to music while studying, but it really depends on the type of music. I can’t listen to anything with lyrics because I’ll get distracted too easily. I’ll either want to sing along or if I don’t know the song well enough I’ll just sit there listening to it and trying to understand the meaning of the song.

I like listening to meditation music. It doesn’t have much of a beat or melody, but that’s a good thing. It’s really relaxing and puts me in the zone to really focus.

18. aeon

aeon New Member

Actually, I'm much more motivated and focus on my work if I'm listening to music. I feel relaxed and less error also if my favorite songs play on my playlist and I noticed that I'm able to finish my work quickly because my body synchronized to the beat of the music and able to do more tasks. Listening to music is an effective way for me to boost my productivity. I think music also helps me to improve my memory because my body automatically move and do the task even my focus is on my music, and I feel better also without pain while doing something heavy because based on the study, listening to music reduces your muscles tension. Music helps me not to get board and concentrate on my things. These are the reason why I'm listening to music while doing something.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  19. cmoneyspinner

cmoneyspinner New Member

If I am focused on accomplishing a particularly difficult project, I may shut out everything – all kinds of noises. But sometimes, when it is a hard job, certain types of music might help me get the job done. I can work either way; with or without music.

20. birdman100

birdman100 New Member

i can concentrate on some music if its a hip hop beat or song it will distract me but if i am listing to some jazz it makes me feels so relaxed