IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Can you give up soda pop?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Anand Mitra, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Anand Mitra

Anand Mitra New Member

I am one of those folks that loves my cola and not the "diet" kind. I can't drink diet because it tastes like battery acid and gives me a head ache. I do know that the "fructose" in my "leaded" cola is keeping (and maybe adding) some pounds to my waist line. For now I will not diet since I can't give up the regular cola and my goal is to do the...gulp...plain water thing when I do. Has anyone had any luck or any suggestions to kick the habit and still want to get up in the morning?

Englebright44 and AndyT8 like this.
  2. Alicia78

Alicia78 Member

Could I give up soda I personally have tried and have not be able to give soda up completely. I have been trying to limit myself to how many I drink per day I'm trying to drink more water. And hopefully I can get to drinking only like three sodas a day. I do really good when I am at work but when I come home it's downhill from there.

You might could try like getting those single crystal light packs and mixing with your water and see if that would help you.
    I have just started doing it and it seems to be helping some. Hopefully this will help you.

3. walterz

walterz New Member

Hi friend, I agree with you, I can't give up on soda pop. My favourite one is Sprite and Cola.
    In a day I usually drink 3-4 cup of them in my workplace. Yeah it gives a negative effect too.
    I'm being fat because of consuming it everyday in my life. But whatever, as long as you like it why not?

4. Tonya

Tonya New Member

I'm not sure I count because I have really never licked soda but I don't drink it. I would rather have water or tea, not sweet tea with lots of sugars but more of green tea and chai. My body reacts badly to soda and all the sugars in it. If I drink a soda, later on I'm so tired. Its like I get a boost to start and then I crash.

5. June Rivera

June Rivera New Member

I love soda, but I don't drink any of it any more, the sugar was causing me lot of trouble. I do not like diet drinks, so I stay away from them. The longer you stay away from sugar, the better you will feel and possibly drop a few pounds.

6. Susan

Susan New Member

I like ginger ale and drink it quite often. I really don't think that I could give it up completely. I do drink a lot of water and I always get my daily intake but I have to have my soda pop. I love a tall, ice filled glass of ginger ale. I have never really tried to give it up but I really think I would have a difficult time doing without it. Some things just taste better with soda pop.

7. kswan

kswan New Member

Yes, I can give up soda pop. I was never a big soda drinker. I prefer fruit juice or water over drinking soda. I usually drink soda when I am out with friends at a restaurant or at the movies.

8. LesYam

LesYam New Member

It is a hard thing to do, but gladly I was able to give up soda. What I did first was to reduce the amount I took daily, so if I drank three cups daily I started drinking two or one depending what I was doing and where I was. It was not easy at the beginning, especially when I was at a party or a restaurant because the main options of beverages are these.

As second step, I replaced the soda by drinking fruit juice with sparkling mineral water. That gave me a similar taste to soda, but it was a bit healthier. As weeks passed my body got used to not drinking soda and I felt better, which kept me motivated. I believe the key is not to pressure yourself too much, the important thing is to persevere and take small steps at a time.

At least that is what worked for me, don’t worry if you struggle at the beginning the majority of us do, just keep working on it and you will see good results.

9. AndyT8

AndyT8 New Member

I have given up soda since I was a teenager. I believe it is the best decision and hardest I ever made. I feel like that took true discipline on my part. Note, diet sodas are possibly cancer causing. If you go to Mexico or Europe then supposedly the pop is much better for you and uses all real sugar!

10. BloomingThrough

BloomingThrough Member

Yes I can give up soda. It has been years since I've had a soda and I don't feel the urge to have one. I rather continue to avoid it and drink water or juices that are good for my body. I'm not saying that it doesn't taste good, but know what it can do the body and the ingredients inside it, I'm able to strongly turn one down without a second thought.

11. Englebright44

Englebright44 New Member

12. Englebright44

Englebright44 New Member

I'm also a a fan of soda. My favorite has always been Pepsi. But I don't drink as much as I used to. I've cut back alot. Now I just buy a can or smaller on the go soda from the store once in awhile. I've noticed its helped to not buy it by the case. Then it's easier to control how much you consume. In the morning to wake up it's all about my coffee. A couple cups usually gets me through my day. I think I could quit but it would still be hard because I know I would still get that craving for it.