IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Censorship in the media

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Momoney, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Momoney

Momoney New Member

My country has a very strict media regulator. Films get banned all the time. Recently, some kids' shows were also banned for "not promoting family values". I personally found this to very stupid on their part.
    Most of these bans are unconstitutional, but even when the filmmakers and stakeholders protest against these actions, nothing changes.
    I feel like audiences should be free to choose what they want to watch without any restrictions from such regulators. Does your country have such regulators? Do you think they are necessary?

2. Shaguftaa

Shaguftaa New Member

Yeah well, my country does have regulators. There is a censor board of films which cuts out inappropriate stuff from movies like swear words, explicit content etc. Somewhere, I must admit, I think they are necessary. Film makers are creative people and once they are given the liberty, they can create anything they want and in any way they like. I believe that films are a medium of reaching out to the masses and when it is going out to so many people, it should convey the right message for awakening or enlightening the audience, rather than putting wrong ideas in their head. So, I think it is important to censor stuff which deems inappropriate or is expected to have bad effects on the audience.