IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Coconut oil

Discussion in 'Health' started by Raychsupa, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Raychsupa

Raychsupa New Member

Coconut oil has been used since the ancient times and its so sad to know that we are only realizing the benefits of it in the 20th century. I first learnt about coconut oil - for my hair - when i was 6 years old when my mother applied it to my hair and woke up with ants all over my head and pillow, a day i will never forget and hate coconut oil.
    The coconut oil sold in the market is neither organic nor genuine as described in the label. A couple of months ago i decided to look into the Youtube on how to make coconut oil at home, thankfully i learnt the craft and now making my own coconut oil. I wish companies would consider selling genuine products or else customers like me will start making products at home.

lilmsmisses likes this.
  2. Six Pennington

Six Pennington New Member

I love swear by the benefits of coconut oil. It has worked wonders on my health, been an aid in my weight loss and helped my liver transition from producing glucose to producing ketones. It's fantastic. I also agree that the only way to know that you are getting a 100% pure product, is to learn how to make it yourself. Coconut oil has not only helped me to reduce inflammation, it has also provided me with the vital medium chain triglycerides that I can use in place of carbs for a more efficient burning fuel.

I love coconut oil and because of the amazing benefits that it has on the body, it will always be a part of my diet/food regimen.

3. wendypie

wendypie New Member

I love coconut oil too. I love the aroma of it when it is used to cook rice and in curries. When used to cook chicken the result is a moist tasty dish. Coconut oil can be used for many things. It is a wonderful organic moisturizer. It restores and rejuvenates the skins barrier. It strengthens nails and the nail bed. It conditions the hair, lashes and brows. It is antibacterial.

Coconut oil is also good for baking and soap making because of its moisturizing properties and smell. However, on the face some react to it and some have pimple breakouts if they apply it topically or take it internally. One has to test on a small patch of skin to ascertain if they are not allergic to it. But to those who are not allergic to it, it does make a wonderful face moisturizer and night face cream. It is such a wonderful oil.

4. Gee Wanjiru

Gee Wanjiru New Member

Looks like our mums went to the same school. My mum always put coconut oil on my hair and my brothers would always make fun of how it smelt and they would send me away whenever I came close. Besides the smell, I remember having very healthy hair.

I have discovered though that there is edible coconut oil and I love the smell. I put it in sweets or snacks that I sometimes make by myself for that heavenly aroma.

Recently, many people are complaining about the oil not being as organic as advertised. Maybe that explains why I always itch and have dry skin and scalp whenever I apply coconut oil contrary to the reputation that it has. I would like to learn how to make my own genuine coconut oil.

5. Paintz

Paintz New Member

Yeah, coconut is the best fruit for human body. I always drink its fresh juice because I feel calm, soothe and relax. This fruit are traditionally being use in many aspects. In some of the research, they say coconut is the very first plant on the earth. I gladly discovered the use of its oil in many ways and until now, this coconut oil discovery is going better. It helps people a lot and the fact that they are everywhere, we can always have its nutrition and goodness well.

Coconut oil also became popular for businesses. Many stories of success are writen online from the coconut oil producing industry. I hope that this kind of fruit are always in preserve and have a place to live

6. jess7kelly

jess7kelly New Member

Coconut oil is a go to cure all in my family. I started researching ways to heal ear infections and coconut oil was on the list. It has anti fungal properties and did clear up my daughter’s ear infection. I also use it as a mouthwash in the morning, it pulls out toxins and whitens teeth. (You have to make sure to spit out the mouthwash after you are done. )Since I have used it as a mouthwash my dentist is amazed at how healthy and clean my teeth have become. Of course I use it for skin problems. My daughters put coconut oil on injuries and bug bites. Sometimes I wonder what coconut oil can’t do!!!!;

7. acewheel001

acewheel001 New Member

The first time someone introduced me to coconut oil or virgin coconut oil vco to be exact, I didn't mind it that much, until I read a book about it and eventually knew about the many things related to vco.

First of all, vco is extracted either by heating the cocounut milk or by via the cold-pressed method. Both methods can be seen in many YouTube short videos. But for purposes of this forum, we will just have a glimpse of what makes a vco; or the scientifically proven component that it has which has become very effective.

The VCO is almost 45% composed of this primary fatty acid called Lauric acid. In a nutshell, lauric acid have the following powers, or properties so to speak:

First, lauric acid has antiflammatory properties. Wounds have the tendency to become reddish and swollen and produce pain sensations - that with vcos, can easily be eased. Although there are other meds that are superior, vco has absolutely no side effects. Just imagine the immediate comfort that the oil can give to anyone that has been cut by a sharp object or bruised while doing some work or chore. A modest application on the wounded part will literally wash our tears away.

Second, it also has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti microbial properties. All these can actually help the body's immune system in combating infections. Too often, complications arise not because of the severity of a wound as to its exposure to bacteria or the other elements, airborne and otherwise, which leads to infections.

So in effect, the oil not only eases the pain but protects it from getting worse. And whereas there are meds that are only limited to one or two actions, the vco includes almost all of them.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Happyflowerlady likes this.
  8. MsExquisite

MsExquisite Member

Coconut oil has so many different fighting agents; especially for people with health issues and even for the ones that are trying to remain healthy. Coconut oil can be applied internal or external! I use coconut oil on almost everything; I use it for cooking, for my hair, for my skin and take a spoonful by mouth daily to fight off any thrush and to give my body antioxidant. I even apply coconut oil than any of my family members have to help sooth the pain and to help clear up the condition faster without going to the doctor paying expensive medical bills. I use coconut oil on my skin as a moisturizer to give me a more protected shiner complexion and to fight off acne and blemishes. I use it on my hair to give my hair thickness, shine, and radiance. Coconut oil has been used for many many years and is sold rapidly in general stores now to help with your everyday needs at a more cost-effective price. I love me some coconut oil and the taste is awesome!

Attached Files:

lilmsmisses likes this.
  9. lilmsmisses

lilmsmisses New Member

Waking up to ants all over your head sounds horrible! Sorry to hear you had this experience, especially as a child. I like the use of, I'd guess you'd call it non-organic (store bought) coconut oil. As an African American woman who is natural (no perm or weave) I have recently discovered the benefits of coconut oil on my hair. I think it's so unfortunate that some naturals don't use it because it causes flakes or itching. Matter of fact, I put of using coconut oil for so long because of all the horror stories I heard from other naturals.

10. MariamAspirants

MariamAspirants New Member

I use virgin coconut oil to moisturize my skin. I do not like use it as a hair mask as my hair lose softness after it. But I have found a nice solution to protect my hair, especially ends: just mix 50 gr. of drinking water with one tbsp. of coconut oil and several drops of vitamin E. I spray the liquid to my dry hair every morning, it makes them more straight, shiny and protected for the whole day.