IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Codecademy-style learning, or traditional book learning?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Bibliomaniac, Mar 8, 2016.

?

Interactive sites or old style coding manuals/guides to learn to code?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2016.
  1. Interactive Sites

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Coding manuals/guides

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bibliomaniac

Bibliomaniac New Member

For those of you who are already immersed in the world of web development - would you recommend learning to write programming code through the traditional routes of buying/borrowing a book and working through exercises, or going through the newer routes of online, interactive learning offered by sites like codeschool, codecademy and Udemy?

I hear a lot of people singing the praises of these sites, and I have tried them myself, but I feel as though something is lacking. Because everything is done within a sanitised, safe-mode environment, there is no risk and no way of breaking anything. I feel like you have to break something and then fix that break in order to truly learn something like programming, and that sort of independent learning style is not available on these sites.

How did you learn to code? Has anyone successfully used sites like Codecademy to become a professional programmer?

2. SoCalDiegoRob

SoCalDiegoRob New Member

When it comes to this subject I would have to say that sites like codecademy.com win over traditional book study and here is why.

I have used both techniques, and I personally use codecademy.com at the moment. The reason for this is because I feel that there is no better way to learn programming code than to practice writing code and these sites make it easy to do that.

Breaking things and then trying to fix them in this case, 1. Could cost you a lot of money ( if you do something that destroys your computer ), 2. Could land you in jail ( if you are studying to be a Pen Tester like hackthissite.com offers ), 3. Practice, practice, practice, ( if you break your computer then it is hard to continue to practice on it ), 4. These sites offer professional help if you ever get stumped.

I have not personally become a professional using these sites but from what I see on them, I believe one could learn the skills to become a professional. I have been self teaching myself about computers ever since the home computer came into existence and I could not even begin to calculate how much money I have spent replacing stuff I have broken trying to learn things the hard way.

Online sites win in my book..!

3. Longinus

Longinus New Member

I would recommend a mixture of video tutorials and books. There are several free tutorials at the Microsoft Virtual Academy, especially the series from Bob Tabor for beginners it's amazing if you are starting from zero. Of course, this is not enough, and that's why you have to read not one but several books about programming. There are literally hundreds of books for each language, depending on your grade of expertise you will have to choose carefully and decide which one is best for what you plan to achieve (web, application or game development)

4. zeldor711

zeldor711 New Member

Using Codecademy with a mixture of video tutorials is by far better than learning through books. By using the internet, you have access to a wide range of resources to help you on your programming journey, with people ready and willing to answer any questions you may have. If you get stuck using a book then... what? You either give up on the book or try to find help from the internet, meaning you might as well have done so in the first place.

5. Skysnap

Skysnap New Member

Codeacademy has a good guided interface. And it can force you to learn concepts. Also the learning style makes you remember the code easily. So you should definitely try the codecademy style first. And then later you can explore on your own. It's hard to learn programming language on your own. So unless you follow some Youtube videos or the codecademy then it's hard to learn. I'd say if you don't get the videos on the YouTube then codecademy is not easy to work with.

6. Sagar Singh

Sagar Singh New Member

If you have absolutely no experience, then start with a book. There are a plethora of introductory books geared towards people who are just starting to program.
    Codeacademy will be better than traditional books as in programming; learning by practicing is more smarter and when you are in need take help of book or internet, well the most easily accessible source is internet

7. Jswindell

Jswindell New Member

I like Code Academy because it breaks things into little chunks. Whereas with a book, it can be hard to visualize what is needed and the terminology. My last IS class introduced me to Code Academy and the interface makes things easier. Since then, I'm now learning JavaScript on my own. General Assembly also has virtual tutorials that are free to learn.

8. Lee Ka

Lee Ka New Member

I would prefer and also recommend to learn through the online tutorials or courses, like Code Academy. I have bought some books and tried to follow through the lessons in the books, but it was more boring as I was learning and working on the tutorials or projects on my own. Whereas when learning online, we can interact with other learners or even some masters, which helps learning to be more interesting. We can also ask questions easier and get the solutions or suggestions faster via online as well. Moreover, there are more interactive ways in learning programming online, such as watching a video tutorial, or try-it-yourself online, so it makes us easier to understand the concept and have the hands-on experience too.

9. BreakTruth

BreakTruth New Member

Both online coding courses and books have their advantages and disadvantages. Sites like codecademy.com work really straight-forward, coding instructions and teaching are good explained. But for example codecademy.com does not let you to choose wich path you want to take, it is just a straight line of learning. With book you can choose which path to take, for example follow page by page, or go by topic and not follow the order, which in many cases is more helpful than a learning website. The thing with books is that it is possible that some parts are a bit too complicated.