IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

College in Germany

Discussion in 'Education' started by Lila, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Lila

Lila New Member

Right now, I'm a junior in high school. Eventually I would like to become an English teacher, either living in Germany or in the USA. I want to go to college here in the US for 3 of my 4 years needed, but I'd love to go to Germany for one year of my college career. I'm not really sure how to go about this, though.

Some people have told me that I can go to Germany through a college. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried doing some type of exchange in college? If so, how did it go? What should I expect in a new country?

Duensing8 likes this.
  2. Duensing8

Duensing8 New Member

I love that you are wanting to experience new things. I am almost full German and it makes me happy to know that people are still really interested in the country that my grandmother loved.
    I think what you're wanting to know about is the study abroad programs that many colleges offer. Now, before you go and choose a college, you might want to be sure that they offer a study abroad program in Germany. While many colleges offer study abroad programs, Germany is not a very popular one. So if you are really serious about taking a semester abroad in Germany, be sure to check if the college you want to attend offers that.
    I have not participated in a study abroad program in Germany yet. However, I have started my search for the perfect college that will offer one. I am looking forward to it.
    Anytime you travel to a new country, you need to be ready to learn. Learn about their culture, their language, religion, and just their everyday life style. I know many people who have gone to other countries, and all of them say that if you are open to learning these things then you're going to have a better experience there. Since you're wanting to go to Germany, I would suggest downloading Duolingo. This app allows you to work at your own pace and it will teach you the basics of the German language. If you are very serious about this, I would also look into a German grammar and sentence structure book.
    I hope that you get to go to Germany and that you have the time of your life!