IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Country Life

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by LyzeMoore, Jun 22, 2016.

1. LyzeMoore

LyzeMoore New Member

We just moved from the city to the country and so far are really enjoying it! There are so many perks, honestly. First of all, the cost of living is much cheaper here. Secondly, we have plenty of room for our dog to run and play, but also as our daughter gets a little bit older, she will be able to run and play outside. Another fun part of living in the country are all of the animals!

We have horses that roam on our property and it helps a TON with keeping the grass down, but also it's nice to look out the window and see them roaming around as opposed to looking out the window and seeing businesses. In the beginning of May, we also got some chicks that will be providing us fresh eggs in the coming months. Not to mention, the kittens that have wandered to our property and are going to help keep all the snakes down!

Do you prefer city life or country life more?

bella556 likes this.
  2. bella556

bella556 Member

Hi. I prefer country life over the city. I live in the city with the traffic, noise, sometimes fighting between people and the ambulance with the sirens going off at all hours of the night. I am personally am looking at moving out of the city to a smaller town where its more quiet. Sounds amazing where you are living at now. Do you ever ride the horses? Having a child to be able to run and play is better in the country. Being able to make noise and have a wonderful childhood will be one you and your daughter will always remember.

3. Nathan047

Nathan047 New Member

Defiantly country. I live in rural NY, where tractors pass ATVs on the road. I have plenty of land behind my house for ATV riding in the summer and snowshoeing in the winter. I can imagine that it is much quieter in than in the city, as the roads near my house are not used nearly as often as highways or city roads (especially in late hours). There are no sidewalks around, so I don't have people walking by my house all of the time, which really helps with privacy. I'm also not part of the town, so I don't need to worry about any town/city restrictions, that way I can have animals around or go shooting in my backyard. I've lived here all my life, and have always enjoyed it here.

I have nothing against the city or those who live in it, but it would probably drive me insane. Then again a lot of city people would probably say that about the country.

4. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley New Member

I like both. Major metropolitan areas can have so much to offer when it comes to things I enjoy doing. There are plenty of great art exhibits, museums, huge libraries, theater and generally great food from a variety of cultures. There's lots of great shopping too.

But, the country is quieter and more laid back. People aren't in the same hurry they are in a city. I remember when I first moved to a rural area from a big city I would get impatient in line at a convenience store. It seemed like everybody knew everybody in that town and I would wait as the cashier talked to each customer about their family and other community news for a minute or two. In the city, you just got checked out and moved along. That seemed to be the point of a convenience store, after all. Get in and get out asap. It took me a little while to start to appreciate the slower pace and start enjoying a conversation with folks in line and the cashier.

Has anyone else ever had trouble adjusting when moving from the city to the country or vice versa? Or, what about trouble adjusting to any new area when moving?

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain New Member

We too just moved from the city out to the country. We were looking for houses in the suburbs but found that we could get so much more for less money living in the country. I now have 3 acres of farmland and we plan to grow big gardens and get some livestock.

It is so much cheaper to live away from the city. I think I pay about a dollar less for each product I purchase from the local stores where I live and people are much more social.

There is a lot of hiking where I live now and I am close to a river. It is an outdoor lover's paradise that is for sure.

Happyflowerlady likes this.
  6. martindrox

martindrox New Member

Country life can be boring sometimes. Also the city has its advantages such as drainage system, business centers and it force you to be social. You might like the country life because there's no traffic and less population. I live in both city and country throughout my life, I prefer the city, I don't know why but it's much comfier for me. Lucrative profits are much harder to find in the countryside. What I like about the country is the fragrance, way better than the stuff you smell walking down the city. Sometimes I happen to be on the verge of passing out when smelling some dead cat or something. You got the spectrum and variable views going on on the countryside, something you won't see in the city. But the sporadic events makes countryside life just not for me.

7. Mortemonee

Mortemonee Member

Country life is cheap and easy going without much traffic while city life is expensive with more traffics, I live in the countryside and its peaceful because all the people do not aim at high taste materials, they live according to their pockets and live a life of help your neighbours, but the city? You can't go and knock at your neighbours door because No body trusts anybody in the city...

8. David Tennant

David Tennant New Member

Living in a rural setting is a lot less stressful than living in the city. Obviously traffic is usually not an issue and the air is cleaner. The country setting is very peaceful and you can see the stars at night.

For people who are used to an active night life at the pub or at the theater the country might seem a bit boring. However there is nothing like taking a leisurely walk down a country path and being able to enjoy nature happening all around you. Some say that a more relaxed setting in regard to where we live can have a real effect on our physical and mental health.

9. sweetiepie8509

sweetiepie8509 New Member

I am more of a city girl than a country girl only because I don't drive so being able to be within walking distance is best for me I love to have a vacation time in the country I just don't see myself living in the country.

10. Anthony Njuguna

Anthony Njuguna New Member

Honestly speaking when I hear you talk so fondly about the countryside, I miss moving back from the city to the rural home.

There are so many advantages associated with the countryside. The food is always fresh from the farm and very cheap. Other than that, the air is always very fresh as there is not much pollution as in the cities where all industries are located, motor vehicle fumes, garbage deposits etc.
    There is also enough compound especially if you have young kids.

The downside is that some services are either not available or are very poor such as internet connectivity, medical services, transport, and accessibility etc.

11. Emma Kwamboka

Emma Kwamboka Member

However there are a lot of positive aspects of living in the country side, there are some disadvantages. Living in the country is slower. People don't need to hurry and have a lot of time. People in the country don't have to work so many hours as they do in the city. On the other hand they don't earn so much money. Moreover, there aren't such interesting things to do during free time. The unemployment rate is also much higher than in the city.

The problem may be also communication. If you don't have your own car, you may have problem how to commute to work. The same problem concerns the access to the hospitals, schools, police stations, and shops, which are usually located far from the village. Last of all, there are some dangers connected with country life such a heavy snowfall or rainfall.

12. Lillylabelle

Lillylabelle New Member

I have been brought up in the city but I got older I started enjoying country life more. It is much more peaceful and relaxing away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The cost of living in the country is much more on the lower end compared to the city.

Emma Kwamboka likes this.
  13. Emma Kwamboka

Emma Kwamboka Member

Are you sure @Lillylabelle? I beg to differ. With the weather as it is it can draw a large drawback when it comes to living in the countryside. In some parts of the country, the winter brings blizzards and the spring brings torrential rains and flooding.

Though some country roads are paved, during a flood, you may be confined to your house, if the roads into town are under water.

14. brightbird

brightbird New Member

Country life is where I would prefer. I have been in both ends of the spectrum and I truly love living in the country. While there isn’t much to do compared to the city it isn’t as horrible as it sounds. It’s also more relaxing and less stressful. The people I also think are nicer in my opinion