IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Current Rap music these days.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jamilah, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Jamilah

Jamilah New Member

I honestly think that if you took away the background instrumentals and the auto-tune, a good bit of the music would be trash. Any thoughts?

2. Juilee

Juilee New Member

If you mean majority of the new popular rap music, then yes I agree that it's not very good. But not all rap music is bad, I can recommend a few rap music that has good lyrics, beats and no auto tune. However, if you are not into rap music then I understand but it does not mean that rap music is bad.

Look up Fear Of My Crown, it is a rap song tells a story about growing up with a mentally and physically abusive father. There's Land Of The Free, this rap song is about America and it's racist past. I also recommend Thrift Shop, which about frugality and shopping in the thrift store.

Now these are old songs, but I recommend songs by Lauryn Hill and there was a Christmas rap song called Sleigh Ride by TLC.

3. Mathenge

Mathenge New Member

Most of the upcoming rapping artist in my opinion are just in the market to get the quick money and the fame that comes with it. If you look at most of the earlier days rappers, they had the content and made a great legacy that they can be remembered with up until now. In the near future most of these upcoming rappers will not even be remembered because their songs lack content and they have not built any legacy for themselves.

4. Tru Aveli

Tru Aveli New Member

It's sad but I have to agree with you Jamilah, some of us who grew up to the likes of The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, Slum Village just but to mention a few can actually understand what the modern day so called 'rap' music is missing. I would like to see the 'Boom Bap' style of hip hop make a come back. With that being said, I'm not saying I hate 'Trap' music (which some people also call 'Mumble Rap') quite the contrary actually they have this club banger vibe that I like a lot.

5. A_Threatt

A_Threatt New Member

I only wish that rap nowadays told a true story instead of the typical and overrated tale of a slut, a player, and the need for expensive things and drugs. Music is always better when it speaks from an honest place, and I think that modern rap is a waste of potential.

6. Lawuan Goldsborough

Lawuan Goldsborough New Member

I have to agree with you too Ms. Jamilah. I feel rappers of today rely too much upon auto-tune, beat in the background and just a catchy hook. In addition to only being able to rap about money, social status, drugs, and getting women. The half decent male rappers that are currently out are J Cole and Kendrick Lamar. Nicki Minaj finally has some competition from Cardi B and Remy Ma after being the only active minority female rapper in the game for nearly ten years. Though even with these three ladies whom I feel do rap far better than their male counterparts and pt far more effort into their videos, the message is still the same in regards to rapping about drugs, social status, and money.

Ironically the two strongest female rap lyricist in the game today is not even classified as rappers! The legendary R&B Pop singer Beyonce has been releasing more quality thought-provoking rap songs over the past ten years of her career. Beyonce has been quoting feminist and social injustice lyrics as early as her song Upgrade You back in 2006. Her 2008 song diva incorporates rap and uptempo pop to a J-setting beat and choreography. In 2013, Beyonce comes out with Bow Down, paying homage to her Houston roots with the background beat and her altered auto vocals giving a "Chop & Screw" style, which is a popular style of singing in her hometown.

The other person who is a true rap lyricist is the artist Janelle Monae. Since debuting in 2011, Janelle Monae has truly been a unique performer starting off with her song Tightrope which has blends of rap, r&B, and Jazz. In addition to being a strong lyricist who can sing with a range that extends four octaves, that includes a whistle register, like Beyonce she also uses her celebrity to speak on social injustice issues that affect her people through her music. Her latest song Django Jane touches on the subjects "Black Lives Matter" and "women equality".

The main issue with rap music today is we don't have more artist in rap music that is like Janelle Monae and Beyonce, who are the closest artist that keeps traditional style of rap music alive, from conscious rap to trap music. In the new age where everybody is signing like robots rapping about the same old things, we no longer have true uniqueness anymore with rappers. We no longer have the different styles of rap like back in the nineties from artist such as Queen Latifah, Da Brat, Mc Lyte, Missy Elliot, Lil Kim, Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill. Rappers of the day are not using their celebrity anymore to speak on issues affecting their communities like Tupac and Biggie use to do.

In closing, no matter how much of an excellent beat, good hook, and auto-tune you through on a modern day rap song, if it lacks true talent far as the rapper, the rap songs are going continue being mediocre. It's like dressing up a pig in couture clothes and applying makeup to it; once you take all those things away you're still left with a pig.

7. Ktaylor

Ktaylor New Member

I definitely agree. I am in my twenties and I have been told that I'm getting old because I don't listen to today's rap music. You can barely understand what these new rappers are saying and all the songs sound extremely similar. I'm not saying there aren't some good rap songs out there but its definitely a big difference.