IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Cursive Writing in Schools

Discussion in 'Education' started by Corena, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Corena

Corena Member

Many of us have gone through school being taught to write in cursive. That was a very normal thing, all schools taught it. It is now how we sign our names, and how we sometimes write just because we love the way it looks.

Lately, I have been seeing and hearing a lot of commotion about cursive writing. Apparently, schools will no longer be teaching students how to write in cursive, because it is out-dated and not needed. In addition to no longer teaching students to write in cursive, students will not be aloud to write in cursive in schools. A lot of people are very upset about this.

In my opinion, no cursive writing is not necessary to learn in school. However, I also don't believe that it should be banned from being used if a child's parents teach them write in cursive. I mean, with them banning religion in schools and now cursive writing, will the new generation even know how to express themselves as individuals?

2. Flaming_Dorito

Flaming_Dorito New Member

I have studied in a school where we used ONLY cursive writing. I seems natural to m to write in cursive. i think one of the reasons that cursive writing has been banned from schools is that it makes it easier for teachers to read and comprehend, so maybe cursive should be discouraged from exams and school assignments but not banned altogether.

Also, the new generation is finding new ways to express themselves all the time. And each individual on the planet is different in one way or another. These differences can also be expressed to show ones individuality. Therefore, i think banning cursive writing wont have such a large effect on the future generation.

And to your point on religion, religion is not the only way to express ones individuality. Everybody has unique, complex thoughts, feelings and emotions as well as unique physical features that can be used to express their individuality.

3. babegriev

babegriev New Member

Should cursive be covered in school? Yes. Should a significant amount of time be dedicated to the teaching and mandating the use of cursive? No. Both cursive and print should be taught in lower grades to gives students the foundations of both. From there, they can choose which they prefer. Several years ago, yes, cursive was more commonly seen and used, however, with the rapidly expanding use of computers and fewer and fewer hand-written works, cursive is seen more and more seldom.

I would argue that cursive has not been banned in schools, but rather the curriculums have been replaced with other topics. Schools are beefing students up with mathematics, sciences, and technology, and are limiting time dedicated to subjects that are less pertinent to the modern day. Chances are in most jobs students will enter, handwritten documents will mostly be for their own notes. Final works will either be electronic or at least typed and printed.