IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Desktop or laptop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by jason bourne, Jan 30, 2018.

1. jason bourne

jason bourne New Member

I am a content writer and most of my time I am writing something. If I have to choose between the desktop and the laptop computer then it depends on the conditions. If I am at my home and have to get done with my work then I would prefer to work on a desktop computer as I feel the freedom to do anything. It feels professional and comfortable to write with the help of a desktop computer. Typing and cursor usage are so easy. I would love to use a desktop computer for my professional activities.

On the other side, if I am travelling somewhere else or have to change my workplace for a little time then I use to keep my laptop with me. The main advantages of the laptop computer are mobility and portability. I don't need to worry about the power source to keep it working. I just have to charge my laptop and then I can move anywhere. I can do my work during the travel. I remember that last summer I was travelling with my brother to another city. I did all my content writing task on a laptop computer and it felt safe. Tell me about your preference?

Kimjongo likes this.
  2. Nido

Nido New Member

You are absolutely right that both Desktop and Laptop PC has its own value. I do not have desktop right now but for working i like to work ob desktop and in future I am planning to buy it. But for now I am using my laptop computer and it is also working good. Best thing about laptop is it is portable and we can carry it with ourselves any where.

3. Nicola Collins

Nicola Collins New Member

I have to say that Laptops are my preference. I use my Laptop all of the time and I don't often use the home Desktop. I think if you need to print, scan or focus other tasks, then I would say that a Desktop is better for these functions.

A Laptop is so beneficial when you're on the move, or you want to get some work done whilst you're moving around the house. I also feel I'm more comfortable with the Laptop on my lap, and I can relax at the same time. If you are on your Desktop you can't really relax, and it's more like you're in a work setting.

4. coolprogramer36

coolprogramer36 New Member

I prefer to use PC or Desktop Computer rather than a laptop. I love playing open- world games that has a good , real-looking graphics and I can't play it on my laptop because it has a lower specs than a PC or Desktop Computer. I also like the wide display of the screen that I can enjoy almost all of the games I want. I didn't mean that laptop is not good but using PC for business is better than using a laptop.

5. Bebelou Palanas

Bebelou Palanas New Member

When deciding between purchasing a desktop or a laptop, you'll need to consider a handful of criteria and make a determination that fits your needs the best.

The advantage of a desktop is that you can upgrade or replace defective parts. Though desktops are large in size and have a separate monitor, repairing a desktop computer is much easier since most of the hardware can be easily purchased of any local computer retail store. For most users, opening a laptop to repair a part of it can be difficult and finding a replacement part often requires calling the computer manufacturer or ordering from another online site.

Setting up a desktop takes a bit of extra work though. It also requires more space to set up while a laptop takes less space and don't require you to purchase a separate monitor.

On the other hand, laptops are portable. That's a very good reason to buy one. They also use less electricity. Laptops are built to be easy to use like while you travel or work on the go. They were designed to be taken from place to place, carried in a backpack or laptop carrying case. They are great for on-the-go use.

In the end, the final decision depends on what your needs are. Consider how you are going to use the computer and what you need in terms of portability and performance.

6. dom94

dom94 New Member

It absolutely depends on what you need to do with it. For students who need to take notes, do online research and writing assignments, a laptop is more suitable to carry around the campus. Although desktop computers have larger screens than a laptop, it depends on the subject since the student might prefer a larger screen to work with, especially if he/she is enrolled in the field of architecture, art or animation, or even graphic design. Media junkies and gamers often prefer to use a desktop since it lets you have a big-screen experience and you can upgrade it to keep up with the latest tech. It has more storage, which means you don't have to worry about filling it up so easily.

Therefore, deciding between whether which one is better all boils down to what your needs, budget and comfort levels are. There are inexpensive options that could offer you the best of both worlds. You just need a comfortable mouse and a hard drive and you're good to go!

7. Kimjongo

Kimjongo New Member

Generally I'd go for a desktop. Desktop is one basic set of a computer that you can improve at your own good time.

In terms of space, desktop is easily improbable than a laptop. You can disassemble it and make changes easily, improve your ram, add graphic cards or change processor where need be to suit your needs at that time. Trying to upgrade a laptop is one big risk of easily losing your personal computer. Considering you need to run heavy games and softwares in your machine when we'll settled, then desktop is the best.

Theft is one vice that is rampant all over the world, laptops are prone to being stolen unlike a desktop which is heavy and is composed of different parts to make it complete.

8. AmandaMk

AmandaMk New Member

I prefer a Desktop. Not only is it harder to steal its almost always easier to use and normally has more storage.

Kimjongo likes this.
  9. EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja New Member

I love both and I have both of them. I simply cannot choose one or the other because I use both of them in different situations. I use my desktop at home because it is much powerful compared to my laptop that is designed for portability. I can run games with higher graphics settings on my computer because that one is faster and I simply cannot game on my laptop due to the heat it produces while playing heavy games.

I use my laptop when I will be away from home. I can easily use it anywhere I need it to but I'll only need to keep in mind the battery life left. If I need a quick game session, I can do it but I have to keep the game time short to prevent my laptop from heating up.

So, my preference lies in what I need to prioritize. Laptop for portability and Desktop for power/performance.

10. richest

richest New Member

I prefer a laptop due its portability.

11. zdevilinside

zdevilinside New Member

I would use a laptop because the traveling aspect of the system. You can always get a USB other form of a dock for the system to have it act as a desktop when home. It is a lot easier to have all your files on a single system instead of switching between them.

12. Shem Nderitu

Shem Nderitu New Member

Based on what Jason Bourne has said in his reply its all based on your preference, am also a content writer and at home any of them is very convenient for example when you want to work outside you can use the laptop when in the house a desktop is used.

13. Jayneshi

Jayneshi New Member

laptop simply because it is portable. Most times am not home but have to continue with various tasks. Carrying the laptop with me to work, am able to finish up tasks during breaks.

14. Booker

Booker New Member

I prefer desktop than a laptop because it is more powerful than a laptop and best in playing video games, editing videos, and many more. It's also cheaper in repairing and upgrading the system than the laptop.

I know that the laptop can be carried anywhere you want that makes it very helpful while doing your work outside your home. This is the good advantage of laptop for the people.

Actually, it depends on the people's like. If using a laptop makes him feel comfortable and suit to his daily routine of going outside the house he will definitely choose a laptop than a desktop that can't be carried anywhere.

15. shaun08

shaun08 New Member

Hi. You are quite right Brooker, Desktops have more performance than laptops and are actually cheaper. I have just purchased a Lenovo laptop and I have had no issues with it yet.

It all depends on what line of business you are in and if you travel a lot then obviously you would need a laptop. Maybe I will buy a desktop at a later stage but for now a laptop is working good. I am doing transcription work online at the moment and a laptop is working perfectly fine.

I just like being portable and its more convenient, that's the biggest plus for me in having a laptop. I think desktops are more for your home business needs and gaming online because of its better space and speeds of its processors and hard drives.

16. Jean Abreu

Jean Abreu New Member

It depends on what it is going be used for. In my case, I would use laptop. I am a med student, and laptops can be really handy to do homework, prepare presentations, write emails to professors, access online books, get in the college platform. I can take my laptop anywhere and do any of the things I mentioned before. In recent years laptops are becoming even better for the travel warriors since battery lasts longer and the laptops are powerful enough to be fast and efficient using Microsoft Office. I have seen laptops that can last up to 23 hours of battery life and has LTE internet integrated, which means you can have internet anywhere just like in your cellphone. For really demanding tasks like video editing and gaming, desktop is really the best way to go.

17. biz

biz New Member

Back in 2008, laptop sales passed desktops for the first time, and portable devices have entrenched themselves even further as their power increased and prices dropped. Desktops have by no means disappeared, though. Like everything else in computing, the right choice depends on you're going to use the device. The general division between the two classes computers goes like this:

Laptops suit an on-the-go-world. They can be unplugged from external power source, and taken with you. Typically, they take up less space and don't require you to purchase a separate monitor.
    Desktops have plenty of positives on their side, as well. Typically, desktops offer more power and expandability at a lower cost. They're also easier to upgrade, repair, and customize, which is why they often remain the choice for serious gamers. They also tend to come with better speakers, more peripheral options, and larger keyboards.

That said, there are no hard and fast rules anymore. Some new mini-desktop are as small and inconspicuous as laptops. And nowadays, laptops can offer the same power and performance as you can get from almost any desktop.

18. pmusee

pmusee New Member

I have been using desktop for the last (6) years but it came to a point i could not use the desktop anymore for some reasons.The reasons as to why i walked to my old friend's electrical shop to get a new laptop for my jobs are; portability and power back-up. To start with, laptop portability property over weighs desktops by far. This property was a big challenge to me before i got my new laptop as i could not walk to meetings with my old desktop. Lastly, capability of laptops coming with an inbuilt batteries beat desktops. I can imagine how i used to get disappointed when lights disappeared in middle of typing or that designing project for my client, but now i can afford a smile with my laptop. Therefore, i can comfortably advocate that laptop is far much better than desktop.

19. SweetLang

SweetLang New Member

I always planned on assembling a Desktop myself. However, I can't deny the convenience in using a laptop, mainly due to its portability. I also realized that I won't really be playing many AAA games that can only be played on desktops.

+1 vote for laptops.

20. Julian8207

Julian8207 New Member

For me its laptop. Technology nowadays has been evolving continiously, as the device becomes smaller the bigger its improved and capabiities are much better. A loptop can do almost all function of a desktop wherein due to its size it is portable and can be used anytime anywhere.