IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do Adults Requires Less Sleep than Youngsters?

Discussion in 'Health' started by RhanzF, Feb 8, 2016.

1. RhanzF

RhanzF New Member

My dad has this habit of staying up so late because he's always playing an online game on his laptop. I raised a conclusion that it could be very bad for his health but he reason out that adults don't require that much sleep compared to me who is younger for like 20 years. So a five hours sleep for adults like him is suitable enough.

2. Karde

Karde New Member

Hello RhanzF. I totally disagree with your dad and please be mindful I am not an expert on the matter this is just my opinion from my personal experience and observation. I believe adults at times needs just as much rest as youngsters do. Speaking as an adult, when we are are not fully rested or well rested we do not function at our best at all just like the youngsters. Adults on the other hand ( and not all adults) often times handle not be properly rested better than youngster, but it does not been that the rest is not need. After awhile of not resting properly our system breaks down and result in us getting sick.

In my opinion too youngster, I suppose take sleeping in to an extended level. I am almost sure over sleeping can be just as ineffective as not enough sleep. Remember! I am not an expert.

So in conclusion your dad might be putting himself in jeopardy.

3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Member

Generally speaking, yes adults take a sleep in a short period or duration and they are the one who always wake up early in the morning.

4. Isaiah Guto

Isaiah Guto New Member

@ Karde: I also disagree with RhanzF's dad. Yesterday night I slept for only three and half hours because my daughter cried most of the part at night. Right now as I reply this thread, I feel dizzy, tired, lack of energies and moody. Enough sleep in imperative for children and adults alike.

5. Tofindwithvalue

Tofindwithvalue New Member

I believe that just about all people of any age would need around a certain amount of sleep. It is important for a person to get enough sleep to function properly regardless of age, although adults may sleep slightly less than children. Both older and younger people should sleep even amounts of time and more less often lack hours of sleep.

6. lolu0259

lolu0259 New Member

Physiologically speaking, adults should sleep less than young people. 6-8 hours sleep is good enough daily for adults. However babies can sleep as much as 18hours daily. They use this period to develop their nervous system and oyher body functions

7. Sweed1

Sweed1 New Member

Actually I would be a bit worried if he is only getting 5 hours of sleep if he has to get up and go to work the next day. If he has to drive a car and function at a high level at the office all day then he is selling himself short on mental alertness and ability to do his job well. On the other hand if he is retired more often then not he probably takes a nap during the day to make up for his lack of sleep during the night.