IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do We Really Need Religion?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Kenneth Osokolo, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Kenneth Osokolo

Kenneth Osokolo New Member

I've been thinking a lot, do we really need religion as human beings? Then I turned to google to find answers but to my surprise I couldn't find any because everyone had something different to say.

Some said without religion science wouldn't have made it this far, another said religion separated us. Different views.

I know alot of people in my country are probably too religious and would have answers to this question. Please share your views below.

2. SydGhan

SydGhan New Member

I actually don't believe in any set of religious beliefs but I do think that religion is important. Like anything else, there are always those who will try to exploit it for power and personal gain, but at it's heart religion is simply there to guide people and comfort them. For many, the idea that there is no higher power is simply too stressful, and since not everyone can afford weakly therapy, religion tends to be the next best thing.

3. Elyas

Elyas New Member

I myself do not need religion because religion will bring nothing to us. our belief in something that can bring ourselves where we are going. we can be religious but do not have good morals while the non-believers have good morals because religion is only a symbol but not as an important thing

4. chairman

chairman New Member

religion is the opium of the masses

5. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix New Member

Yes we do.Religion is the backbone of our lives.You do not have to believe in a divinity or a celestial being or God,what you absolutely need to believe is that this world is not the end.That is the greatest reason why most people believe in God.Mark my words,"Most". Of course there are the devout christians who will not hesitate to slap you for questioning their God.If people did not believe that there is life after death, and that we will be judged for our actions on this earth,no one would care about the other.Everyone would do as they pleased.Human beings would be no different from the animals in the jungle.There would be no government because no one would want to be ruled over and the only way to earn authority would be through fear.

Many people claim to be atheists but when push comes to shove everyone claiming to have no religion becomes a believer.There is no such thing as atheism.God and the devil are two sides of a coin.You are either a believer or you are an advocate of satan.Take an example whereby a monter with a lion's body and head,the wings of a dragon and a tail which ends in the head of a snake appeared and started breathing fire.Most people who do not read the Bible,believe in God or who simply don't care will get down on their knees and beg for forgiveness before they die.Ask many people who have lived a life of no religion what they are thinking of when they are on their deathbed.Prayer for forgiveness!

6. Jackson Mwangi

Jackson Mwangi New Member

I bealive everyone of us would like to know his or her future.Also,if asked to decide,all of us would like to live forever and be immortal.Religion satisfies all this through spiritualism.

Religion also provide set guidelines that most people live by without which the world would disintegrate into chaos

7. HazelDJ

HazelDJ New Member

In my own opinion, religion is not a gateway for salvation. Our faith and relationship with God is important. I, myself belong to a religion called Christian. It is our belief that receiving Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior is very important for our salvation. We go to church everyday and hear God's through our Pastor. We also gather for a prayer meeting. We hold fellowships to interact with other Christians too. We do believe in the teachings of Holy Bible too.

8. Aggy91

Aggy91 Member

I think religion is important but at this day and error, we have sadly and completely misinterpreted the meaning and purpose of religion. If you study the oldest religion in the world today which is the Egyptian religion,where most of world religions sprung from,such as Hinduism and even Christianity, you will find out that , their religion was used to preserve all the knowledge that they had gained from observing nature,the universe and also events that happened. For example ,they could observe the sun and the movements of the sun for years and that is how they where able to understand different seasons and create the calendar.

In order to preserve this knowledge for the next generations, they formed a personified story about the sun.This is why the Egyptian god HERU, was a personification of the sun.His whole story, was the movement of the sun.

They also learnt all about the human body ,mind and spirit, and all this knowledge ,e.g about the digestion system, blood flow etc,they could form a the personified story, and this story was taught to generations. That was religion then, it was all about preserving knowledge on the universe and human experience.

I was doing a study and found out that almost all religions today ,from Hinduism to Christianity, borrowed their religious stories and texts , from the Egyptian religion.I was shocked to find out that the Hindu story of Krishna was borrowed from form the Egyptian story of Heru, and that the Christian story of Jesus was also borrowed from the story of Heru.

This is an example of religion today because we have misinterpreted the story of Jesus to be the story of a Person when it was originally the personification of the movements and nature of sun. e.g,The story about Satan ,was gotten from the Egyptian story of SET, which at that time,Set was not literally a red ghost holding a big fork ,with a pointed tail and horns coming to destroy you forever,"muhahaha!".No , SET simply symbolized the negative traits in a human being, such as hatred,jealousy ,envy ,anger ,etc.

Along time ago,people actually understood that religion was not literal or ghostly /spooky,but it had a knowledge behind it. Knowledge about the universe,nature,and laws of nature such as death ,birth etc.

I could go on and on,and you will find out that the whole Bible,or any religious text today, is about the universe ,nature and the human body.

Today ,if we need religion it should be to understand what our ancestors understood about the universe. It should not be based on fear of the unknown.

Anyways I think we should learn to trust in ourselves, the ancients understood that true wisdom comes from within. So we should always question what is presented to us and not suspend all our common sense to believe anything we do not understand.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  9. Mabelle Tarrayo

Mabelle Tarrayo New Member

In this life, we need religion. But remember that religion is not a gateway for salvation. Religion cannot save you, it does not mean that you belong to a certain religion then you are already save or you can already go to heaven. Although I belong to a certain Religion called "Christianity". But Christianity would be meaningless if we take away the real essence of it. The purpose of why Jesus Christ died on the cross will be taken away if people will focus only on religion. Jesus is the only way for salvation. In the scripture John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." In John 3:16 it says "For God so love the world, that He gave His only begotten Son(Jesus Christ) that who ever believes in Him (Jesus Christ) will not perish but have an eternal life." So folks, yes we need religion but sometimes religion it self will mislead us. Instead of saying that we need religion, allow me to say this that we need JESUS more.

10. Den

Den New Member

That is exactly my question. Is it a requirement to have a religion? I don't know. I respect every religion there is. And I love seeing them unify for the beliefs they have. :)

I was baptized with a religion, then grew up from different religion. Now, I don't have one. But I do believe in God. I always pray a lot, help others and I can totally say that I am not a bad person. But my question is, is it true that without religion I will not be saved? Saved from what anyway?