IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you consider makeup an art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by CloClo, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Emmaleigh Grace

Emmaleigh Grace New Member

This is a little bit of a touchy subject for me, since I used to strongly despise those who chose to use makeup (in today's society, a little like rebelling against feminity), character aside. I do, now, consider it an art. I don't choose to practice it, but I've seen the wonders makeup can create, so I've gained a new respect.

2. sanjeev kumar

sanjeev kumar New Member

Yesterday I saw a Bollywood movie named FAN in which a Shahrukh Khan a Bollywood Superstar played double role. Face of One character among double roles left me shocked as it was totally different from Original one. A person of 50 years age was totally looking as 20 years old that too with different face cutting and different placement of organs. After Google it I found that it is the result of prosthetic makeup. Hats off to professionals who learn such difficult techniques that can totally transform someone's face. Makeup is more then Art for me.

3. penarboska

penarboska New Member

Just like paint brushes to an easel donned by watercolors; so is your lovely face to cosmetics. I do not wear makeup but my 17 year old does .Making up your face before you go outside, is a form of creating art. I enjoy the different colors of the blushes, eyeshadows, eyeliners and mascaras and whatever character you desire to be, you could make yourself look that way for a few days. The unpainted canvas is your face, your cheekbones. When you are ready to go that birthday party, you paint it with wonderful hues of plum or maroon, you paint your lips a gorgeous tint of red and your out the door. When I was in high school, Revlon invented mascaras, in shades of blue and brown, and I purchased myself a blue one. I went to school the next day wearing my artwork of displaying these electric blue eyelashes I had painted on. The 1980's were a fun time to be a teenager.

4. gioia.zema

gioia.zema New Member

Absolutely yes!! Honestly, sometimes, I wonder how they make such perfect lines on the skin. Choose the combination of colors, which products to put on and really create something on someone's face. I find it fantastic. I saw many videos where the makeup covered flaws or skin spots and made these people so happy.

Although I believe that makeup should not become a mask because people's faces are beautiful even with imperfections. If the face is "clean" then something comes through that you can't see with too much makeup.

5. hafsa--123

hafsa--123 New Member

Your skills are your art. Anything that you do in the best way is art. If you are able to create new ideas in any field than you have art of that field. Likewise if you have skills of makeup than it is also an art made by you.

6. Delmierose

Delmierose New Member

While numerous individuals may not value the specialty of cosmetics for what it is, cosmetics is viewed as an artistic expression. A bit of the populace still observes the utilization of beauty care products as a vain endeavor to change your identity and what highlights you were brought into the world with. For me, It is an Art where we express who are we really are and there are artistic tools and elements used in makeup Industry.

7. anthonyhurtadox

anthonyhurtadox New Member

It's technically an art form that's not a debate. I think the problem is we tend to associate art with something that's important. To avoid problems, its easier to recognize that there is a hierarchy of art forms wherein cosmetics would rank lower than the traditional art forms such as writing and painting.

8. Sandra Taylor

Sandra Taylor New Member

Yes, I do. I'm an amateur at doing make-up, and don't wear it very often. But, I've been watching some make-up tutorials on Youtube and the results are shocking. Especially, when asian women take off their make-up and there is a whole new person in the video. It's kind scary though.

9. Jayani Williams Johnson

Jayani Williams Johnson New Member

Yes, I do think make up can be an art form. Especially nowadays with the emergence of cosplay and Instagram MUAs. I do see more people using makeup to create characters, create illusions and paintings on their face and using exaggerated and extravagant methods to make something beautiful. Many MUAs take this very seriously and dedicate a lot of time, money and energy to pull off certain looks. Around Halloween, Christmas and the season for fashions shows are the best times of the year to see beautiful works of art displayed with makeup. It is even more impressive given the fact that they are not drawing on flat canvases but have to work with skin and features that are curved, uneven, soft and absorbent.

10. coolben20

coolben20 New Member

I definitely consider makeup an art! I don't have much knowledge of makeup, but occasionally when watching videos of people doing makeup is really convincing of all the effort and skill that it takes.

Perhaps some people don't consider it as such because it isn't a conventional painting or drawing, but we all acknowledge cartoons, music and writing as art - so why shouldn't we extend this respect to makeup?

11. allison smith

allison smith New Member

Makeup is certainly art. I have seen makeup artists paint entire scenes on a single eyelid, which requires such deep attention to detail it is astounding.

The care required in painting on a 3D surface that is constantly moving, breathing, and changing, is insane.

12. Daniel Watkins

Daniel Watkins New Member

I agree with Allison’s point that makeup is certainly art, as makeup artists often do dozens of clients and go through years of experience to perfect their craft in makeup. Make up artists utilize different geometric shapes, many different colors, and sometimes products inspired by famous artwork to create unique makeup looks. To create these looks on a human being and have to interact with client as well is a difficult task, and makeup artists have to dedicate time and money to perfecting their craft.

13. Brandi

Brandi New Member

Makeup is definitely an art. You're painting on you're face or body or arm or wherever. You're creating something beautiful and colorful maybe. Sounds like art to me.

14. aroosa mueen

aroosa mueen New Member

Makeup is absolutely an art. Anybody who says otherwise hasn’t successfully done their own makeup for an event. It takes time, precision, patience and skill. The better you are, the less time you take. Blending is a skill not many possess. The fact that you need to know which brush is best for each product, the order in which to apply the products, all while keeping everything clean. It’s much harder than it looks. I honestly believe makeup artists do not get the credit they deserve.

15. Maleesha Jackson

Maleesha Jackson New Member

Makeup is definitely an art. If you really sit back and break down the basics of makeup, then you do the same for art a lot of what it takes to paint or draw goes into makeup itself. The basics of drawing is lines, shapes, and shading. Where as those can all apply to doing makeup. Lines apply when you’re doing your eyebrows and eyeliner. Shapes apply to different eyeshadows and the beginning of contouring and highlighting. Shading is blending, so you’re able to get different dimensions in the structure of someone’s face. Makeup is definitely art!

16. 2wicked2quit

2wicked2quit New Member

Oh its definitely an art.

You know how I know? Because I'm bad at it lol

17. WestVirginia242

WestVirginia242 New Member

There is a canvas, brushes and paint, of course it is. There are so many talented artists that do makeup. I'm not one of them but I know a few.

18. TianaMeador

TianaMeador New Member

I absolutely consider makeup an art form as much as I consider fashion design and tattoos to be an art form. Art is a form of expression and what better way to express yourself than with your face. It is the first thing people see when you meet them. The face is a true canvas. The body is a canvas. Every individual has his or her own way to express himself, be it through makeup, clothes, hairstyles, tattoos, etc. The talent and dedication that goes into a lot of makeup application is incredible. There is a true passion for it, which is one of the things I believe makes art. A passion for your creation. With that being said, I would go as far as to say that almost anything can be considered an art. When you compare makeup artistry to "typical" forms of art, the basic components are also the same. You have a canvas (which could literally be a blank space in your mind), brushes and tools, paints and pigments, a vision, a reaction, and a passion. Apply this to anything you might question is an art. I consider life to be an art.

Everise likes this.
  19. TianaMeador

TianaMeador New Member

This was my thought exactly. The basic components are there if you want to compare it to studio art, which is what most people immediately think of when they think of art. People will automatically think of Picasso or Rembrandt, or some other "painter". But take a look at these artists. What are they painting? A lot of the time it's faces!

20. Everise

Everise New Member

Makeup is my favourite hobby and I totally consider it as art. When you first start into makeup it is very difficult to get head around the basics of tone, shade and type. It helps you in learning about yourself and your mood.
    The power of makeup is very strong and it can change your look from dull to bright or vice versa for the particular look you are going for and only few people are expert at making different faces on one face. So absolutely makeup is an art.