IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do You Experience Eye Strain On Electronics?

Discussion in 'Internet' started by JonathanS, Jul 21, 2017.

1. JonathanS

JonathanS New Member

Generally speaking, everyone at some point has experienced eye strain on electronics. Fatigue in the eyes from continuously staring at a bright electronic screen for long durations of time. Usually, this can feel like dry or burning eyes. Sensitivity to light, headaches, and red eyes are also possible symptoms of eye strain.

I'm a student who also works online-part time. My higher education curriculum is also based online. Between these two, I spend more than 8+ hours daily on the computer. Because of this, periodic breaks are a must in order to preserve my eyes. I also use the app "f.lux" for Windows 10. It's a program designed to change the brightness and contrast of your screen throughout the day (depending on your geological location). By doing this, f.lux is constantly adjusting the screen accordingly to ease the strain of your eyes. Within a week, I felt the difference and still use the program to this day.

Do you experience eye strain on electronics? If so, how do you go about rectifying this issue?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Chelle likes this.
  2. Chelle

Chelle New Member

I spent 27 years working in front of a computer and practiced the 20-20-20 Rule daily, multiple times a day, but it did little good, because I also have a hereditary eye condition. I am losing my eyesight due to bilateral macular degeneration, and I also have bilateral choroidal folds (ripples in the vascular layer). I am farsighted, but I also have presbyopia ("old eyes"). My left eye has astigmatism, and my right eye has frequent bouts of inflammation and retinal migraines. I now have to wear trifocals in order to read or look at things that have fine detail, and I have to use assistive technology, such as Windows Ease of Access. But, I also have extreme light sensitivity. So, I wear low vision sunglasses inside, outside, day, and night. I kid you not, I have at least five pairs - each with a different colored lens for different degrees of light. Today, I am beginning the process of learning how to use the computer as if I have no light perception at all because even with sunglasses on and the monitor set at the lowest settings, the brightness and contrast are too much for me.

My advice to you is to stay off of all electronics as much as possible when you are done work for the day, have a day off or don't have any school work. That will help to put less strain on your eyes. Also, if you wear glasses, take them off when you don't really need to use them, because they also cause strain.

Windows Ease of Access: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17180/windows-10-make-your-pc-easier-to-use
    20-20-20 Rule: https://us.discovericl.com/blog/the-20-20-20-rule-preventing-digital-eye-strain

3. vrimee

vrimee New Member

Yes. If I see mobile phone or computer for more than a hour, my eyes feel irritated. Sometimes my eyes feel very tired if I work for long hours in computer without taking a break. I am not good at following a break after 20 minutes. If I get immersed in work I will forget the time out of 20 minutes very easily.

4. Chibee Gordon

Chibee Gordon New Member

Absolutely! After a long time gazing at screens I became irritated. I have this sort of unrest that spreads throughout the body and most times I would just require a bath and some sleep to regain composure.

Well, to cub the effect, I would make sure that my room is lighted. I wear dark glasses too.