IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you game competitively, or just for fun?

Discussion in 'Games' started by KaylaPowell, Apr 5, 2016.

1. KaylaPowell

KaylaPowell New Member

I love to play video games. I have been gaming since I was very little, I would always have fun playing Mario, Zelda, or Donkey Kong. It seems like many gamers in the past few years have taken gaming a little too seriously. I have seen many YouTube videos of people raging when they lose, or get killed in a game. Do you like the competitiveness of some modern games, or do you prefer just gaming for the simple joy of it?

2. Kaynil

Kaynil New Member

I like playing games too. I don't consider myself a competitive player and "I play for fun more so than the glory". I pretty much adapt depending the person and what they like. I know some of my friends rather me go all the way from beginning but in general I like gauging people and going from there even if that means I will underestimate them and risk to *gasp* lose the match. We all play trying to win the match, that is where the fun comes in. Speaking about competitive players, many of them have dissected the game to find the most optimized way to do it and are very meticulous and people like me won't care that much to go into technical details and practice that way. I respect people that put so much effort and dedication. Like with anything, that passion is what makes things not only 'bearable' but pretty satisfying. I have always been curious about it and while I enjoy some of the theory I couldn't go all the way and throw away my 'binding mental knight code' that might be dragging my potential, and that is fine because this works for me and so long we can respect that diversity to choose how to play and enjoy the game it all works very nicely.

This ties with what you were saying about gamers taking themselves too seriously and it is about the passion games can wake up for some people. I think it is natural people get invested in them as they become more than just the game itself. I don't mind some games want to take themselves seriously but it can become a problem when some games missguided by their passion adopt a defensive or an aggressive pose of "us versus them". You have people shoving their opinions as facts, members of the same fandom fighting among themselves because they focus on what they see differently instead of celebrating what they have in common.

Stepping down from the group and in a more personal scale, I have never thrown the controller to the screen out of rage but I would be lying if I said I have never been frustrated with a game to the point I needed to exercise some self restraint. The reason for the frustration varies depending the player and the game experience. It can be anger against oneself for not performing to our own imaginary 'good standards'. it can be frustration at what we consider a 'cheap shot' design, at buggy or lackluster camera or controllers, or just what it is at skate. In many older games, save points are far between so failing meant re-doing a lot of what you did, suddenly those few next last minutes you were planning to play until you save became around 35 minutes. That notion, more than the moment of dying itself can wake the annoyance and combined with one or more shortcomings that make the player it was something out of their control raises the frustration so much.

3. kdb890

kdb890 New Member

I've always loved playing games as well. As a little kid, I sat around playing Mario and Zelda with my dad, as well as a lot of the older games on Nintendo and PS1. I just play for fun, which is why I stick to game systems such as Wii and DS, because they don't have such a huge market revolved around competitive and peer-to-peer gaming online. I do, however; get passively competitive when it comes to achievements. I play on a website called Kongregate and they have a huge achievements system, so I'm always trying to get more achievements than my friends, be a higher level than them, etc. The way people rage over pixels on a screen nowadays is, honestly, embarrassing.

4. mouneir

mouneir New Member

I played a lot of games for fun when I was a kid, and I could actually enjoy spending hours on a handheld doing things like grinding Pokemon levels or exploring dungeons in some of the GBA Zelda games. As I got older, though... The entertainment value really faded away for me. I don't play games for the story anymore, as I think that users interested in that type of content could really benefit from sitting down with a good book. Singleplayer games no longer hold any interest for me.

Multiplayer games, however, are a completely different story. I got into the original Starcraft when I was in college, and am now an avid Starcraft 2 player today. I don't necessarily play for enjoyment, but I'm able to test my reflexes, thinking, and overall strategic ability. It keeps my mind sharp, and I guess it quashes my inner superiority complex! Proving that I can do something so complex very well gives me a sense of accomplishment I could never have obtained in a single player game.

I can't really speak for any other games, as I don't have time for them with work and my adult life, but I enjoy Starcraft 2 for the competitive aspect.

5. abdouacer35

abdouacer35 New Member

I used to play games just for having some good amount of fun when i play ps1 or nes when i was a kid and thoses games is just for having fun and now i play counter strike which is competitively game and everyone competing when he play with his friends or just playing with random players in the server and in my case i don't play counter strike just for competing no i play it to have fun also so its good to do them both when you play this games

6. DeAnthony

DeAnthony New Member

I'm always in it to win it it's not even just for fun I'm always playing to win who wants to play a game and just constantly lose what's the fun in that

7. viries310

viries310 New Member

I like to think the core of every game is to just enjoy yourself. With that said I prefer playing just for fun although playing competitively is also another kind of fun other people consider. Playing just for fun doesn't put you into the stress of losing and gives you the sense of being a winner without hurting the feelings of anyone. Games are made to be enjoyed, whether competitively or just for the pleasure in it.

8. atsoc.cst

atsoc.cst New Member

I prefer playing for fun, when I play games I want to enjoy myself and if I play a really competitive gamemode I'll probably end up trying too hard and getting angry. However, I completely understand why other people do play competitive gamemodes, sometimes I even find it entertaining to watch some gameplays of these gamemodes.

9. RenoGerman

RenoGerman New Member

I play video games for the story. I love some competition as well but I prefer playing single player. I mostly play RPGs like the Final Fantasy franchise. I also play survival horror games like the Resident Evil series. I used to quit gaming back in college but when I graduated and found job hunting was hard, video gaming was my only stress reliever at the time. Since then, I spend some of my free time playing games that I love.

10. Ruth

Ruth New Member

I play it for fun. It is a form of distraction from the outside world. I play mostly when am emotional unstable

11. Treon

Treon New Member

Damn, you listed all of my favourites games there. I've also been gaming since a child. It started with NES.. anybody remembers that beautiful thing?? :)

I personally play for my own enjoyment. If you look at it, why were games initially made? for fun, to entertain people, to offer them new ways of distraction and so on.. maybe I'm just ''old school'' but the competitive aspect of games does not appeal to me.

Of course I do not judge those that do play them to compete though, we are all different. It's interesting to observe how serious the newer generation takes them.

12. Mundia416

Mundia416 New Member

Yea,more competitively than most,usually put a wager on fifa ,makes the game just that more exciting

13. TheArticulate

TheArticulate New Member

In general, I play multiplayer games to play with my friends and have a good time. I'm somewhat competitive, but it's not a huge factor in why I play games. My roommate and I will grind ranked play on League of Legends frequently, but it gets incredible frustrating very quickly at times. This is one of the reasons I don't like competitive playing, because it seems to stress myself and my teammates out so quickly.

14. Felix Kamonjo

Felix Kamonjo New Member

It depends on the kind of game. Let's say it is kind of a mission game like Call of Duty,Assassins creed or the all new GTA 5 it will be mostly fun but competition normally spikes if it is a two player opponent game such us FIFA,Injustice or Mortal Kombat

15. Justin Johnson

Justin Johnson New Member

I play video games for competition. Competing is fun to me. Its shows what player is better at what game. People that dont like to compete are usually not good at the game. I think everyone should like competition because it will make you a better player at whatever game you are playing.

16. briankomeks

briankomeks New Member

I would say both. I play to compete as well as have fun. I have a select of friends who I play competition games like FIFA and Mortal Kombat and it is way more fun . Thus, it goes both ways.

17. Rhomhie Morelh Campo

Rhomhie Morelh Campo New Member

It really depends on a type of game where many people are attracted to it and plays it, but playing competitively really matters on how persistent you are, climbing up to the leader boards is like a stair way on becoming how to be successful or compared to how to become rich, except its only applicable in your game but for me i play competitively when a game is challenging for me and fun, but it becomes a taboo game when you are playing fair but some hackers or exploiters in a game join in, it pains a lot for us honest gamer's seeing people destroying the game and playing it with ease that makes us to quit the game and never to play it again, unless if developers starts to ban them or making their system more secure.

18. Jumbo980

Jumbo980 New Member

I play games just for fun. The reason I play games for fun is because they were ment to be played for fun! If I played games competitively I fell like it would take away the fun aspect of the game and it would ruin my gaming experience. I want to enjoy myself when I play games not stress about being competitive.

19. Aditya tripathi

Aditya tripathi New Member

I only play games to have a fun and have a good time.By games, I refresh myself.

20. robertleung.pro

robertleung.pro New Member

I love to play video games and am definitely competitive. Around 20 years ago, was when I first started playing - starting with the SNES and Gameboy Color. Growing up with these games made me love technology and games in general. Playing these games, led me up to exploring more options and more genres of games. I have recently moved into the more popular MOBA games: DoTA 2 and League of Legends. I don't take the games too seriously, but I do play games just for the simple joy of it, with friends, at the same time as playing competitively against other teams.