IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you game competitively, or just for fun?

Discussion in 'Games' started by KaylaPowell, Apr 5, 2016.

1. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod New Member

I used to play just single-player games, and it was only for fun of course. But lately I am playing online games and they are almost all competitive, if they are not co-op. Even now I try to play to have fun but the community and people are just way too nervous and play only to win. I really don't care for a win, as long as the people I'm playing with are not mean and say bad words, and curse you. We should all just have a great time playing, not trying to prove who is better. It really kills the whole point of gaming and it becomes a "sport" not a game. But even in sports you have to be sportsmanlike.

2. KoechBrian

KoechBrian New Member

Both. I play multiplayer games to compete and generally to have fun. There is fun in competing. Example of games where you can compete and have fun are like GTA V and Clash of Clans.

3. TheBigWolf

TheBigWolf New Member

I am a gaming freak and have played many games. I play it mainly for fun or to take a break from work. But when I am with friends,we all do connect ourselves and play games. Of course,there is competition amongst us to prove who is the best. But basically the objective is to enjoy ourselves and have fun. The competition thing is just natural. So I mainly play games for fun.

4. Yllorrina

Yllorrina New Member

I love playing video games for fun. Though I'm not saying I don't want to play in tournaments, I would love to but I really do not have the skills for that since I am not really a hard core gamer unlike the ones who join International tournaments. And I haven't seen any international teams who have a team member who is a girl so I might not get the chance to play competitively. But I am planning to stream the games I play once I upgraded my PC :)..

5. NeilTarquin

NeilTarquin New Member

I never play games for competition. My playing skills is nowhere near tobthose who plays in tournaments. I play just to kill some time and to enjoy the game. There might be small competitions every now and then just to promote challenge, but no more than that.

6. JonathanS

JonathanS New Member

As a kid, I always did gaming for fun. In shooting games, I didn't care about my Kill/Death ratio. I didn't care about my over game scores. I just enjoyed the principle of playing the game itself, rather than acquiring any skill whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, I'm naturally a competitive person. But this never went into gaming. As I got older, I focused more on the skill of being good at that particular gaming title. Instead of just playing for the heck of like I used to.

To sum things up, I try to balance out both. Though over the past recent years I've become extremely competitive, especially when multiplayer servers are available. In my opinion, nothing is wrong with playing a game for fun. At the same time, Gamers that are competitive should be encouraged because they produce the best players within that game itself. Especially when it's fair gameplay and no cheating is involved!

7. Adrian morcifer

Adrian morcifer New Member

Unlike many others, I didn't get into gaming by playing Zelda or Mario. My first game was Zuma. Sure, I was just a kid and popping nicely coloured spheres seemed funny. I wouldn't say I was competitive right from the get-go, however, multiplayer games are a whole different talk. You can't possibly NOT be competitive while playing those.

8. dedenbula

dedenbula New Member

When I was younger I do play game competitively. I mean then I have no other choice because all my mates do that in school and I will not want to be the loser amongst my peer. It is so hard to loose to a friend or any person at all then. So in those days I don't take defeat lightly. There was time a lady who is also my classmate challenged me with a soccer game. I reluctantly accepted the challenge after I have bragged about beating her mercilessly. Unfortunately this lady beat me back to back, it was terrible then. I almost change school because of that event. But this days I do play for game fun, even with my friends. I guess we have outgrown the competition.

9. Jitendra Bharti

Jitendra Bharti New Member

I mostly play game for having fun and take my tension off. It is a place of solace after we come from our routine work life. It takes our stress away in a minute. I enjoy video game, PC games equally. When I start to play, I just forgot the time only to involve in playing those games. Games make us refresh and active.

10. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSide New Member

I love playing video games especially with my siblings or just with my friends. I like it being competitive at times but I simply love it for just the pleasure it gives. Being competitive in terms of gaming, requires more time and money (to buy upgrades and equipment), technical skills and some strategizing. While playing just for fun is less stressful since you don't need to prove anything.

11. Jean50

Jean50 New Member

I play video games mostly for fun. I love playing video games for mostly that aspect, but I sometimes play competitively if someone is talking trash about my skills or if I'm playing for money. Other than that I play for fun.

12. Fancdew15

Fancdew15 New Member

I am very competitive about playing video games. I would not enter tournaments or anything, though. Those are way too risky. I suck way too bad to do those.

13. neville

neville New Member

Actually it depends entirely on the game, i am very competitive in nature and i take pride in my skills and my ability to beat others. League of Legends is a prime example of a game that i truly consider to be competitive and one that pushes you to the limit and forces you to always improve and enhance your abilities.

14. neville

neville New Member

Actually it depends entirely on the game, i am very competitive in nature and i take pride in my skills and my ability to beat others. League of Legends is a prime example of a game that i truly consider to be competitive and one that pushes you to the limit and forces you to always improve and enhance your abilities.

15. mugedge8

mugedge8 New Member

Neither, and I'll explain why. When I was younger, I used to love games. so I played them all for fun. Now, I don't compete unless I know there is a new way that I can lose. Now, I play video games to find the solution to all the problems that the video game impose. Almost like finding the most efficient way to play the game. I don't enjoy it, I don't consider anyone my competition because overcoming someone or a group is the reasoning behind the competition. I only play video games now to understand how to remove 'weaknesses' and 'fail points' (areas in which the average person would fail). I usually take these concepts and apply them to life. Recently, I'm starting to see life as a game and there is a few problems I can't conceptionally find a solution to. T_T