IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you guys take vitamin supplements?

Discussion in 'Medical' started by jamesyu, May 22, 2016.

1. jamesyu

jamesyu New Member

I am simply curious to see if people on here take vitamin supplements at all? Whether it's a daily vitamin supplement or possibly more elaborate health products (eg. Green tea/fat burners, joint supplements, antioxidant blend, etc.).

I actually consult for a variety of supplement manufacturers (quality assurance, regulatory compliance - fun, I know) and have seen my fair share of not so great, scam companies and the more quality based, ethical ones. Many "experts," say that supplements should be taken, while other 'experts" only say you're wasting your money.

For me, I don't normally take them, but I can also see how many companies can take advantage of those vulnerable or not armed with knowledge.

2. JamesMiller

JamesMiller New Member

I am not a doctor nor a nutrition expert, but just from my experience, vitamin supplements seem to be really ineffective and useless. I used to be a person who seldom eat fruits and I took vitamin supplements instead. I didn’t notice any health issue until some day in winter, the weather was too cold and humidity was low, the skin on my hand cracked and there was a fissure. After 2-3 weeks it still didn’t recover, until I finally consumed some oranges. So I guess vitamin supplement can never replace the nutrients from natural food sources.

3. Dakotagal

Dakotagal New Member

I am very limited on the type of supplements I can take right now because I have to temporarily use a blood thinner medication. I currently take vitamin D3 and buffered vitamin c powder. These do help keep my immune system built up so I don't catch so many colds and flue.

I have severe arthritis in my right hip and used to take a glucosamine/chondroitin/msm combination before I was on the blood thinner. It did help the pain in my hip. I could immediately tell the difference when I had to stop taking it. Everyone is different so something that works for one person may not help another.

4. Senia

Senia New Member

I take a vitamins sometimes when I'm feeling tired. I really like to start my day with Carnation instant breakfast, chocolate for breakfast can't beat that.Hair skin and nail vitamins work pretty well for me,since I have fine hair and very thin nails ,but I haven't taken them in a while.

5. Heti Damani

Heti Damani New Member

I took whole food supplements for awhile while I was getting my act together to eat the right nutrients. Michael Pollan says in his book "In Defense of Food" that you should "be the kind of person who takes supplements--then skip the supplements". Ideally, if you are eating high quality natural diet, you don't need supplements; however, I'm not so sure about foods having the nutrient density they should have, given the way most foods are grown and how old they are by the time you buy them at the store. Grow your own, buy from local farms, or at the very least make sure you are getting fresh organic foods at the store. I have a juicer and use juice to consume more nutrients rather than buying expensive supplements. I will reconsider supplements later in life, as they may be beneficial after 50 years of age when our bodies may not be quite so efficient at processing nutrients any more.

I highly recommend "In Defense of Food".

6. zeratul

zeratul New Member

I take Vitamin C and B complex and that's it. I get most of the nutrients I need from eating food instead of megadosing on Vitamins. I bask in the morning sun to get my fair share of Vitamin D, I eat pumpkin seeds to boost my iron supply, and yes, I still drink milk. The trick, for me, is not to expose the body to too much stress. I also eat a lot of immunity booster foods like broccoli, cabbage, or carrots.

7. AlessMeison

AlessMeison New Member

I take vitamin b12 it helps me to my nervs system to be quiet im a stressfull person and my Psychiatric recommend me

8. Amy Terry

Amy Terry New Member

I think it depends on the individual and whether or not vitamin supplements work for them. If I feel myself getting a cold I will take 2 vitamin C, 2 echinechea, and 2 zinc to boost my immune system. I sometimes never get the full symptoms of the cold and the other times when I do get a cold, they shorten the amount of time I am down. :)

9. dellmini

dellmini New Member

I take vitamin supplement regularly but i prefer to gain vitamins by eating fruits. Fruits are the main source of vitamins. If you are having a problem to get fruits and juice then you can get some supplements. You would have to consume a lot of water if you are on any kind of supplementation.

Vitamins boost the immune system to fight against diseases. I would suggest you to get vitamins through fruits and other food items.

10. wizzywiz

wizzywiz New Member

Yes! Folic acid and iron supplements are good for ladies menstruating.

11. Tuphan143

Tuphan143 New Member

I took whole food supplements for for a {while} while i used to be obtaining my act along to eat the proper nutrients. archangel Pollan says in his book "In Defense of Food" that you just ought to "be the sort of one who takes supplements--then skip the supplements". Ideally, if you're consumption prime quality natural diet, you do not want supplements; but, i am not therefore positive regarding foods having the nutrient density they ought to have, given the method most foods area unit adult and the way recent they're by the time you get them at the shop. Grow your own, purchase from native farms, or at the terribly least confirm you're obtaining recent organic foods at the shop. I even have a juicer and use juice to consume additional nutrients instead of shopping for valuable supplements. i'll rethink supplements later in life, as they'll be helpful when fifty years older once our bodies might not be quite therefore economical at process nutrients any longer.

12. NeilTarquin

NeilTarquin New Member

I am in the Middle East right now and produce is not as plenty as to where I came from. So my diet is limited to what is available to their market. Taking supplements for me is essential. It is my coping strategy to fill up the missing nutrients that my body need to which is not available here.
    Back home, I don't take supplements because I want everything as natural as possible.

13. jonathscliq

jonathscliq New Member

In as much as I believe in the efficacy or potency of vitamin supplements, suffice it to say here that it is not, and should not be the first line of treatment for vitamin deficiency. Personally, I go for natural and fresh foods and these includes normal foods in general together with fruits.

I naturally prefer watching my diet as against depending on supplements. I feel it's not a cost effective measure for those who already know how to balance their food. But then, how many people know the right stuff to ingest? For those, food supplements sure is the way to go.