IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do You Know How To Assemble Your Own PC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by gambrix, Oct 4, 2016.

1. gambrix

gambrix New Member

I have always wanted to assemble my own PC, but I have yet to learn how to do it. Sure, I already know what to look at when buying, namely the critical parts that you need to know like the RAM, hard drive, processor, OS, but I have yet to expand my knowledge regarding the best or most appropriate video card to buy. So I always end up buying a fully built one. So I was wondering if you already know how to assemble your own PC and how did you learn how to do it? Did you attend a specific course for that, like most technicians do, or you were taught by someone? or you learned how to do it all by yourself?

2. Knotical

Knotical New Member

PCs are not that difficult to put together, you just need to be careful when handling the components so you don't end up shorting them out should you develop some static electricity on your hands. Though, this is why many motherboards come with a mat that is antistatic you can place it on when plugging in components.

As long as you follow the directions you should be fine.

Also, you don't necessarily have to buy a separate video card, as many motherboards come with them onboard. Of course if you are looking to build something that needs to handle some powerful graphics then yes, you will want to buy a separate video card.

3. badcannon

badcannon New Member

Youtube is the best place to get a good idea about how to build a PC.You can build a comprehensive knowledge about building at PC.There are also tons of benefits building your own PC.
    I learned how to build a PC through Youtube and for my first build i used https://in.pcpartpicker.com/ .You can easily compile PC parts that are compactable .

Cheers man all the best with your first build :).

4. Mohhj

Mohhj New Member

I've assembled many pcs for myself and some friends as well. It's not that hard once you get the hold of it, you already know the critical parts which is a big plus here. All the parts should be matching one another, for example, you don't want to buy the latest processor in the market to pair it with a pretty old motherboard or video card.

We have to match all the parts with each other in order to not create bottlenecks. And obviously, the budget and your need from that pc play a critical role here. If you are a heavy gamer you should see what will you play on that system and then make a search on the requirements for that game. If all of that is hard for you and I know that it's for the first time, you can always check websites that provide you with already made lists of parts.

As for how did I learn all of this is with the help of youtube. There are great channels there providing a lot of useful information regarding how to build your own system and so much more.

Good Luck ;)

5. classic456

classic456 New Member

I have assembled, dissasembled and repaired my own computers since quite a while, it's not really that difficult. I can give you a few recommendations though.

As it was stated before, you do need to be careful about static when handling the components, there are many simple methods on how to "discharge" yourself from it before operating any computer hardware. I would also recommend, As much of a hassle it can be, read any of the component's you're installing instructions, they are good at providing information on how to safely install/uninstall them.

I pretty much learnt everything I know on my own, but nowadays there are pletnty of cool people on the internet with a lot of good tutorials around, so if you have a doubt, better check on the internet for any guidance, it is much better to take it easy and read everything up before starting the process; even more if you are new into the field of building your own PC.

When setting your own PC up, it will all depend on your budget and what will you use it for, but a general recommendation based on my personal experience. The most important parts of a PC are: the motherboard and the Power Supply unit, these two will determine how many updates can your PC withstand in the long run, they are the backbone of it, the rest is just knowing which pieces should you use in order not to bottleneck your motherboard and regardless the use you are going to give to it, try to build it as ventilated as possible, cooling is a very important aspect in a computer.

6. SirKaylan

SirKaylan New Member

Well... I have a funny story with that to be honest, 10 years ago, when I was 8, I got a brand new desktop pc. After few months, I wondered whats inside. Till one day when my parents werent at home I did that... with my dads screwdriver I got all the components appart. It was amazing, thanks to that I have a passion and love pcs.

Being honest, its not so hard to build your own pc, YouTube is plenty of different tutorials, even Overclocking the CPU and GPU which is a bit risky.