IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you like subtitles?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Johir Ahmed, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Johir Ahmed

Johir Ahmed New Member

Subtitles is not good for me. I am reading at the same time but i just do not enjoy them for two reasons
    1st reason you have to read in your mind seems tiring 2nd reason the writing is usually big and cover a bit of the scene .

2. ESTEBAN R. GRAFIL JR

ESTEBAN R. GRAFIL JR New Member

I really like Subtitles because it helps me understand well what I am watching. It is maybe because there are movies that the language that they used in their conversation is sometimes their native language that other people didn't know or understand. That's why it is very important to have Subtitles so that other people can understand what the characters in the movie is talking about. Subtitles give additional or advance information while you are watching a particular scene or a movie.

Subtitles are a tool to fully understand by reader or viewers what the characters want to convey or it message to the audience. especially to the people who don't really understand their way of communication.

kiefferventura14 likes this.
  3. kiefferventura14

kiefferventura14 New Member

I love English subtitles since they help me to understand what the characters are saying. I normally watch anime with the original voices and English subtitles since the voices express the emotions and mood of the characters better. Although sometimes I do not grasp the subtitles well because of either the speed of the speech or the text, it has helped me a lot.

Overall, having English subtitles in any foreign medium would be beneficial to people who are not fluent in the native language of the medium.

4. adrian3008

adrian3008 New Member

I like subtitles only when the film is in another language apart from English or Swahili. For me to enjoy the subtitles, they should only be in English since am only used to English subtitles. Secondly, the subtitles should be displayed timely in accordance with the ongoing actions/ events in the film in order to fathom the movie.

It's not easy to watch a film and at the same time read the subtitles but once you get used to doing both, you will enjoy all movies you like with subtitles.

5. Anachiwo

Anachiwo New Member

One's movie preferences directly have an impact on either liking or disliking of subtitles in movies. If one is more interested in watching only English speaking movies, there is every tendency that such individual would not appreciate the use of subtitles in movies at all. This is probably because reading the message in the subtitle would seem to be an extra job for him or her especially when it was English that he or she could easily understand, so therefore there is no need for the subtitle in the movie.

But when someone has a wide view on movies he or she is interested in watching, especially ones that aren't English speaking movies such as Chinese, Korean, Indian, Mexican, and Japanese movies, the only way that individual would understand such movies is with the use of good and well synchronized subtitles.

Personally, I enjoy movies with subtitles. It helps me to focus well on any movie that I'm watching because as I'm watching and reading wordings of the actors or characters in the movie, I always tend to follow everything that transpires in the film. Also, happen to enjoy watching other aspects of movies that aren't English speaking ones like Korean and Chinese movies. So, the use of subtitles helps me to understand the movies very well.

I have tried learning some other languages from the non English speaking movies that I have watched so far, and my area of interest in the language learning is on Spanish language. It's the only language that I crave so much in learning, understanding and knowing how to speak it as well. Already, I have picked up a few words from the language and I will definitely keep on improving till I achieve my goal.

6. Carlos Kerika

Carlos Kerika New Member

Subtitles are there in movies to enable the viewers who don't understand the default movie language its set in get to understand. Subtitles are way beneficial to those who want to watch a movie yet they cant understand the language. For example I wanted to watch Narcos, which is a movie set using both English and Mexican languages. In order to watch it, I needed subtitles which came in handy when the Mexican scenes came into play.

Subtitles can be very stressing especially if you have issues with multi tasking. You will find yourself missing certain important scenes because you were busy reading subtitles down there. Bottom line is that we cant do without subtitles otherwise our viewing of the many movies in the world will be limited.

7. Bloomsie

Bloomsie New Member

I absolutely love subtitles when watching anything on Netflix or Hulu. Living in an apartment with thin walls calls for not a loud television. So having the subtitles helps out to understand the show when we cannot necessarily raise the volume at night. In addition, sometimes the subtitles do not follow the dialogue and it is very cool to see what has been made-up on the spot and what is followed by script. The television show that I am currently watching now, Will & Grace (1998 version), often has subtitles that do not match up. It shows how much of their 'shades' are actually quick-wit and it's twice as hilarious!

8. Bill800

Bill800 New Member

Basically, subtitles are alienating. When you read a
    subtitle it detaches you from experiencing the actor
    speaking the line. The fact that subtitles are
    necessary to understand the dialogue in a foreign
    language film simply makes it that much harder for
    most people to immerse themselves in the film’s
    story and experience.
    Sometimes I watch foreign language films with
    subtitles. The best of them are so engaging that I
    forget I’m reading the subtitles. An example of this
    was the original Japanese film Shall We Dance.

9. Dankod1

Dankod1 New Member

No because you have to read in your mind seems tiring and some of them are even in foreign languages that one can't understand.

10. sansa

sansa New Member

I love watching films and TV series with subtitles because it's more easy to understand their conversations. Sometimes if they speak fast I couldn't keep up but when there's a subtitle no matter how fast they could talk it's alright because I can read subtitles. The disadvantage of having a subtitle is that you can't focus on the full screen instead you're going to look down just to be able to read subtitles. You need to do multi-tasking like reading subtitles below and at the same time rolling you're eyes up to watch the whole story. If you're not talented enough to do both, it's much better to take off subtitles because you're going to be annoyed rolling your eyes up and down. I just like having subtitles for the purpose of learning new words that I'm not familiar with. I love discovering new words and add it up to my vocabulary. It feels like that I'm a genius when my friends have no idea about the words that I'm telling them. For non-native English speaker it would be helpful for them to have a subtitle while watching films because it will enhance their skills on how to speak fluently in English.

I'm just glad that subtitles were created. It helps other people to understand more whatever they're watching and now movie goers are now appreciating other films that come from non-English countries. I know they can't beat Hollywood for producing quality films but there are some other countries that can compete with Hollywood and thanks to subtitles because it's now easy to understand the films even if it's not dubbed in English language.

My friend kind of laughed at me when I told him that I love watching films with subtitles. He told me that he hates subtitles because he's destructed on the words that written down below. He's not enjoying films that are not dubbed in English. And I remember the excerpt from movie "Me before You" I exactly told him, "Did your school not teach you to read?" and he was sort of speechless.

11. hirpatel

hirpatel New Member

I like subtitles for some movies and series but not for all.Subtitles can help those people who can't understand what the video is talking about.I love watching films and TV series with subtitles because it's easier to understand their conversations. Sometimes if they speak fast I couldn't keep up but when there's a subtitle no matter how fast they could talk it's alright because I can read subtitles. The disadvantage of having a subtitle is that you can't focus on the full screen instead you're going to look down just to be able to read subtitles.But also, subtitles are alienating. When you read a
    subtitle it detaches you from experiencing the actor speaking the line.

12. DPhillips1981

DPhillips1981 New Member

I hate subtitles! Its great for ones that can't hear or understand the language. I just find it annoying to be watching a movie and trying to read it while the mother is being murdered and your on the edge of your seat!

13. john kimani

john kimani New Member

I definitely like the subtitles though not in all movies, the subtitles help you to understand the information being communicated even when the person talking is doing faster or he uses another language other than English. This, however, makes you lose some focus on the movie because your eyes keep on shifting from the movie to the subtitles below or above, meaning the movie would become less interesting to you than it would be.