IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you listen to Music when you read?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Eric1177, Jun 12, 2018.

?

Do you listen to music when you read?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Eric1177

Eric1177 New Member

Music can help people focus or distracted them. Do you listen to Music when you read?

Nickson Juma likes this.
  2. RoseKaizer

RoseKaizer New Member

For me listening to music while reading is distracting to me. When I was reading especially a story I dont do listen to music because it distract me, I cant concentrate on what I read. I remember one time I am reading then suddenly my sister play a music I was annoyed of her because I am distracted and I cant understand the flow of story because of music.

3. SweetLang

SweetLang New Member

I'll be too distracted to read if I listen to music at the same time. I believe those two things are meant to be enjoyed one at a time. However, I haven't tried those so-called "music that help you concentrate" so I can't say if it will be effective for me while reading.

4. MirelaElena

MirelaElena New Member

Occasionally I listen to music when I read. The only thing is that I listen to classic music so I can focus on reading too. I like that sometimes when I'm reading a very sad scene and the sad music pops out my feelings are amplified. I'm feeling like I'm literally in that story.

UnicornPie23 likes this.
  5. Alli

Alli New Member

I find it very challenging to listen to music with words when reading because I am easily distracted and love to sing. Because of this, I typically read in silence. Sometimes I do put on background music, white noise, but I find it way easier to just read. When I am studying, however, I do listen to music and rarely ever get distracted. I believe this to be due to the fact that studying requires more brain power than reading does.

6. zeeshan

zeeshan New Member

It helps me to put my full concentration on the subject.

7. Almasa

Almasa New Member

If you are a music lover it's advisable you satay away from music during your studies. Honestly you won't concentrate. You'll find yourself on the floor dancing to the tunes or singing a long. Please you can't serve two masters at a time.

8. Toribellb

Toribellb New Member

I have found that I am unable to read and listen to music at the same time. When I read I become completely emersed in the story and having music playing only serves as a distraction. I enjoy listening and singing along to music so when it begins to play all I want to do is play along. This only leads to me rereading the same page multiple times because my mind is trying to multitask and interpret both things at once.

9. AndeyBH

AndeyBH New Member

As expected. Some people love listening to music while reading and some are distracted. I honestly think it depends on the type of music and the person reading. For me, classical music always keeps me calm and focused. I am sure I wouldn't be fine with listening to techno, rock or metal. However, I have a friend who is listening to hard rock when studying.
    So, we are all different.

10. mekakonz

mekakonz New Member

For me, listening to music while I read helps me concentrate on what the story is saying! Although almost everyone in my family has told me that it's "scientifically proven to be distracting", it does genuinely help me. I feel as if I'm always looking for a connection when I'm reading something, or an emphasis on the emotion. I also believe that a reason why I may like listening to music while I'm reading is because I listen to music while I'm writing. Music lets me disconnect from the outside world and I almost always choose songs that reflect the emotion of what I'm writing, so my brain has grown to associate music with connection, inspiration, and focus. :)

11. liacg

liacg New Member

I agree with mekakonz's statement. Personally, music helps me focus on what it is that I am doing. I don't only listen to music while reading, but also while doing other daily tasks such as housework, homework, or other things. There is a slight flaw with this, I will admit, when it comes to what song I am listening to. The more comfortable/familiar I am with the song, the better I concentrate, yet in the opposite side of the spectrum, if I've never heard the song before I would lose my focus completley on whatever task I was doing and instead focus only on the song that is playing.

12. Natalie Deaton

Natalie Deaton New Member

I find listening to music while reading distracting. I find back round noise of any sort bothersome, and that is probably why I am typing this in silence. Perhaps I am not the greatest at multitasking as I find myself humming along with the lyrics and having to re-read a paragraph several time if the radio is playing. I love music and reading, just not at the same time.

13. jessicar1228

jessicar1228 New Member

I listen to music as I read all of the time. Music helps me get more involved with the book itself. Listening to music while reading has some cons tho one of the biggest cons for me is that I always want to sing along to the song.

14. Reynee

Reynee New Member

It honestly depends on what type of music. If the music has lyrics then I end up concentrating on the lyrics instead of my book. I often end up listening to instrumentals annd the soundtracks of video games.

15. Sabreena

Sabreena New Member

I hardly ever listen to music when I'm reading novels, because half of the time I just end up listening to the song instead of actually reading the story. However, when it comes to studying, or reading something for class, I prefer listening to music because it kind of helps me focus and not just drift off because of sheer boredom. Ironical, tbh.

16. Terezia

Terezia New Member

I allways listen to music when I read. It makes me fun and makes reading easier. I like quite, liric music during reading.

17. PrincePanzerBLANK

PrincePanzerBLANK New Member

I enjoy listening to music while I read because I am one of those people that cannot withstand doing anything when it's quiet. I also find that listening to music helps me concentrate more on the story rather than the actual music itself.

18. Terezia

Terezia New Member

@PrincePanzerBLANK That's great! I enjoy listen to music not only reading, but any kind of my activities. It helps me feel relaxed. :)

Jessica Thienes likes this.
  19. I. C. Ezeokoli

I. C. Ezeokoli New Member

I listen to music while I read most of the time, and it's fine for me, but I see how it can be distracting. I think it's not really distracting if you listen to music without someone singing (piano, orchestra, classical). Then it's just nice background noise.

Terezia likes this.
  20. rcoop

rcoop New Member

I could definitely understand why someone could think this. When I study or do work for classes like math or science, I find classical music to really be helpful to me. However, when I'm reading, I really need to be able to visualize things in a way that I don't for other subjects. This is when I find listening to music to be really distracting.

Jessica Thienes likes this.