IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you listen to music while sleeping?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Putri, Jul 18, 2017.

1. JaiGuru

JaiGuru New Member

I create music while I'm sleeping! Having spent my childhood in various orchestras and symphonies, and then the majority of my young adult life as a bassist for several small, blue-collar bands, I have a mind which has been designed from the ground-up to be a music making machine. When I was more active in that pursuit, I would keep a pad of paper by my bedside so I could quickly jot down the compositions I heard in my dreams when I awoke. The whole process feels very involuntary at this point. I really do not know how much of what I've written I have a right to take credit for since it seems to be my subconscious which has done so much of the actual work!

2. nanachan7

nanachan7 New Member

I have trouble sleeping so I did a lot of things to help me sleep. Of course one of them is listening to music. But it wasn't very effective since I really liked the songs and I ended up more awake so I could listen for more! Haha! Same result when I tried listening to Celtic music (songs by Enya). So I avoid listening to music when I do want to fall asleep.

3. kielrivera

kielrivera New Member

Sadly no. I don't know but ever since I am not that kind of person. I can't use music to make me sleep or asleep. I really need a quite environment in order to fall asleep. I actually tried it many times but it really don't work! I am amazed to those people use listen to music while sleeping!

4. zebis

zebis New Member

Playing music while I sleep is now a part of me especially when I have many things in mind. And most especially soft music send me into a peaceful sleep that when I wake up, I will be as refreshed as ever.

5. Glinary

Glinary New Member

While some of you may think this is a crazy thing to do, it's a normal thing for others! I often get scolded whenever I do this, with my family always telling me it would be bad for my ears. As a person who spends most of her time wearing headphones, I'd never notice myself lying on my bed while still wearing them! Maybe this just happens because music calms me down and serves as a stress-relief for me after a very tiring day.

It's not that I can't sleep without them, but I'd just never realize myself doing it. I'm glad that it's the same for some of you guys here. :) Maybe I'll do it again later during my sleep. :D I'm actually listening to music right now beside my bed.

6. Glinary

Glinary New Member

While some of you may think this is a crazy thing to do, it's a normal thing for others! I often get scolded whenever I do this, with my family always telling me it would be bad for my ears. As a person who spends most of her time wearing headphones, I'd never notice myself lying on my bed while still wearing them! Maybe this just happens because music calms me down and serves as a stress-relief for me after a very tiring day.

It's not that I can't sleep without them, but I'd just never realize myself doing it. I'm glad that it's the same for some of you guys here. :) Maybe I'll do it again later during my sleep. :D I'm actually listening to music right now beside my bed.

7. jogoy02

jogoy02 New Member

Yes! I do listen to music while I'm sleeping but it's a type of music that makes me fall asleep during at night like mellow and love song. Sometimes I do meditation before going to bed to relax and calm my monkey mind. Music enables us to access our subconsciousness to go beyond our limit and to keep our mind being stable at the moment. The activity of listening to music makes me feel comfortable and pleasant to forget all of my worries and fears in life. If you are connected to music everything around you become magical like you are in a different world of fantasy, everything seems so to be perfect at the moment. The reality become fantasy and sometimes fantasy become reality, let your imagination connected to music and flow with it and before you realize that you are already sleeping in that moment.

So, I would suggest that before you going to bed just listen to your favorite music and meditate up to 15 minutes to relax your mind and body. It helps you to forget the noise of the world temporarily. Music is life and music is everything.

8. Jsmith

Jsmith New Member

That is one thing I would say I love doing, and it's now a habit for me now that it will be hard to drop if such kind of thought comes into my mind. Listening to music while I sleep is just like a mother singing a lullaby for her baby to sleep. And most times I feels like I am hearing the same music playing in my dream.

I listen to soft music while sleeping and when I wake up, I will feel as much refreshed I will be if I take a warm bath. In other way round people will say that I am addicted to music which I will say it's true. I love the music playing too loud so as not to be disturbed by what's going on outside my room, it's like staying inside a bulletproof car and also when am depressed or unhappy I turn the music loud so that I can't be able to hear my thoughts and go to sleep. If you are addicted to something, it's quite hard to be stopped, and it's hard for me to stop because I have been trying hard to stop the habit on hearing the disadvantages of listening to music while sleeping but I still find myself doing it again. I have grown to like it like that not minding the consequences anymore.

9. jay solano

jay solano New Member

In my case, I don't listen to the music when I about to sleep. Because I feel more annoying when I heard something. I am so sensitive in hearing that, even in a person try to minimize their voice, it would awake me immediately. I envy those people who can sleep that, no problem when about to sleep. Everyday my eyes just stare at the ceiling waiting some miracle to make my eyes heavy, and fall myself into sleep.

Another thing I do is that, I counting numbers into the ceiling in imaginary way. But sometimes, it does not have any effect to make me sleep. Maybe some situation that, we sleep immediately, because of tiredness. My brother even suggested me to work at field, so that I can sleep immediately.

There many factors also that, I could sleep while listening to musics, only the relaxing old music can do this, for me. I don't pay attention to the music when I am so tired. Only selective music can fall me asleep.

10. silentzero07

silentzero07 New Member

Yes, because when I listen to music I feel relaxed like your problems are being minimized through listening music and helps you to sleep without anything to worry about. When Ilisten to music I usually play music when I go to sleep because it helps me to lessen my problems and the things that is in my head that can distract me from sleeping. Most people do it as their habit because it is really cool until you fell asleep. But sometimes listening to music while sleeping can also disturb you from sleeping because you can only feel relaxed when you heard it, but if you are sleeping and the music is still playing then you are not enjoyed instead you are going to be distracted by the music.

11. Ronah7385

Ronah7385 New Member

Listening to music is so relaxing. It relieved stress and enables my mind to refresh. I usually listen to music before sleeping and fall asleep with my headset on. I do these every night.

Listening to music was my habit since I was a little one. Music is my life and it inspires me!

12. angeleyes09

angeleyes09 New Member

I listen to soft music when I cannot sleep.There is subliminal music on Youtube for people who has difficulty in sleeping at night.This music is also good for people who has insomia.I used this subliminal music when it is difficult for me to go to sleep.It is better to listen to soft music than take a pill when you cannot sleep.

13. Nkudensi

Nkudensi New Member

I do listen to music while sleeping but not all the time. I try not to make it a habit. I usually do that whenever I don’t feel sleepy. For instance, if I want to go to bed early in order to wake up on time for early morning appointment, I will force myself to sleep by playing music, but it is usually soft music.

14. Rolie

Rolie New Member

Yes,im lestining music while sleeping

15. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing New Member

I'm an ear thinker, so any kind of words or music help me wake up. I never have fallen asleep while listening to music, even though, as a child, I used to fall asleep while cuddling up against my mother after she'd stopped singing me lullabyes.

Sitting still and passively looking at pictures, without words, does seem to activate the least conscious part of my brain and help me fall asleep. I've often dozed off while watching movies--even funny or "exciting" movies.

16. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing New Member

Nosleep, I think that's what recordable cassettes, the Ipod, and newer mix-your-own-music devices were designed for. New gadgets allow you to download and replay just the kind of sounds and words you want for any particular purpose. If listening to music helps you relax and fall asleep, or at least get into a massage or distract yourself from dental work, you can download hours of all mellow, relaxing music. If your goal is to wake up and kickstart your metabolism, you can choose bouncy dance tunes. Just about anything you might want is out there.

(This from someone who recorded, and also inherited, at least one footlocker full of cassettes of different types of songs remixed from different albums for different purposes...songs to play in the background while praying or meditating, exercise music, massage music, songs to remember a time/place/person by, songs children can sing along with, songs that motivate tiresome people to go somewhere else...I'll start listening to music of the present century when I've listened to all the cassettes Dad left me.)

17. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing New Member

Agreed, though nothing new. People who are now grandparents used to like songs partly because our parents and grandparents hated them. I remember thinking some of those songs were almost as bad as older people thought they were...and Dave Barry wrote a whole book about the popular songs that most of our generation recognize, but many of us actually hate. Some of us reserve the right to yell and use bad language if we're even reminded of songs like (I won't mention that one), (or that one), or (actually anything sung by that guy who always sounded as if his throat was sore and should've stuck to playing his trumpet) (hey, what about that woman who wrote all those long whiny songs in keys above the normal vocal range) and so on.