IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you miss your childhood days?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Rozlyn Waganda, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Rozlyn Waganda

Rozlyn Waganda New Member

I grew up in a small town in the outskirts of Nairobi, Kenya; during a time when everyone treated each other like family.

We would go outside to play, get dirty, buy balloons eat different stuffs like chocolates, biscuits, cookies etceteras.

We played hide and seek, mables, football... We often played barefooted! We went hunting and weren't afraid of anything; always in boys company.

Whenever we fell down, we would just get up and didn't tell our parents what had happened. We challenged each other every where. If someone had a flight, that's what it was..... a real fight!

We left our homes as soon as we could in the morning and right after school till our neighbors would yell out for their children as a reminder to get in the house for the night.

If one kid was called for dinner then we all knew that it was time to go home.

We rode our bikes without helmets through the valleys to secret places and sat around narrating ghost stories.

We even went swimming; not in the swimming pool, No! but in small rivers together. We took care of one another and treated each other equally and fairly.We definitely had alot of fun.

We watched our mouths around our elders because we knew if we DISRESPECTED any adult there would be a price to pay. We had good manners and respect otherwise somebody else's parents would put you in your place.

2. AngieW

AngieW New Member

I do miss my childhood days. I feel that I had the best childhood ever. My parents loved me and raised me the right way. I look back now and would gladly go back and relive this.

I remember all the fun times that I had. My parents gave me everything that I needed to have a wonderful childhood. We took many camping trips and went on numerous vacations. We had so many toys from barbies to dolls to dress up clothes. We did fun family activities, such as picnics and going to parades. I miss this all so much.

I also miss family meals with all my sisters and my parents. My mother was a wonderful cook and made the most delicious meals. I know that I did not appreciate it at the time, but she went through so much trouble with each and every meal. It was nothing for us to have roast beef, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, a salad and a dessert. We always had dessert or a treat at night. Even the simple things I miss. She used to make jello in fancy ice cream sundae cups, and then top with Cool Whip with sprinkles. So simple yet it meant so much. I would give anything to relive those days.

3. AlisaTR

AlisaTR New Member

Of course, I miss childhood! It was simpler then.

I grew up in a rural community in the Caribbean in an era where there were no video games or cell phones or any of the distractions presented to the youth today. In fact, when I was growing up, crime wasn't as big an issue as it is now, so yards weren't divided, the neighborhood children ran in and out of each other's houses, and we spent a lot of time in outdoor play.

There was hardly any vehicular traffic in our community when I was growing up, so there were no sidewalks, no traffic lights and, while everyone knew the names of the streets, there were hardly any street signs. Our street actually had a make-shift, handwritten sign, "Jangal", which I think should have translated to "Jungle". It might have been a phonetical issue, the difference between "Jangal" and "Jungle", but nobody cared and for years, we passed by that handwritten sign as children on our way to and from school and it wasn't strange at all. On our street growing up, it was not uncommon to see dogs curled in little balls, appearing to sleep on the streets, except they would snap at your feet if you walked too close.

We weren't the most privileged of families as far as material wealth was concerned, but I had my brothers and sisters and we grew up playing cricket in the streets with make-shift bats and wickets, wading barefoot through floodwaters with our skirts hitched around the waist and with no thought for danger, and even raiding sugar cane fields and hiking for fruit almost all year round.

We had no electricity, so the evenings were lit with kerosene lamps, and we did not have a television, but my dad was a master storyteller and he regaled us with the most deliciously scary stories on evenings: stories of ghosts and clever spiders; of old women who transformed into balls of fire at night; pretty women who hid a cow's hoof beneath her flowing skirts; men who, at night, dragged long chains through the streets; babies who talked; nameless, faceless, unbaptized children who lurked in the forest with feet turned backward ready to steal children away. We would beg for the stories every evening and we would sit entranced when he told it, but after we would cling to each other on the bed we shared, yelping at every shadow as the lamp's flame danced.

Everything was cleaner and brighter and fresher when we were kids. As children we did not have to worry about bills and expenses and responsibility. We played. We broke rules. We were free. It was the adults' job to worry. Now, I am the adult, and while my children play, it's my job to worry. So it goes without saying, I miss my childhood.

Happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. Irene Cg

Irene Cg New Member

I think that once in a while everybody misses their childhood days. I personally miss being a child a lot, no responsibilities just having fun.

I too grew up in Nairobi, Kenya. We especially loved Saturdays since there was no school, so after waking up sometimes you never even had breakfast you just ran out to play.

We all knew that at lunch time your Mom would call you in for lunch and then you would go back to your friends. We would play for hours without stopping and never tiring until it was time to go back home.

As a kid games were actually seasonal, you could not play the same game through out the year. There was a time for skipping rope, another for marbles, another for wooden cars and many others.

The kind of friends you had then are the one who taught you what friendship was since they were our first. They are the ones you bragged to during Christmas about your new clothes and toys, and it was so much fun.

My childhood is one of the building blocks in my life and I don't think I will ever stop missing it.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  5. Bellapette

Bellapette New Member

I'm still a child and I already miss the days spent

6. higming

higming New Member

I missed evry single day. University is so hard!!! Wish I studied harder.

7. lilmsmisses

lilmsmisses New Member

I miss the carefree days where homework was my only concern. I didn't have to worry about bills, where my food was going to come from. Life was so simple. As a child, I lived more in the moment.

8. Wanj 33

Wanj 33 New Member

I look at my daughter who is three years old and I see how much she enjoys her life. She plays , sleeps soundly with no care in the world because she has no bills to pay, someone who she doesn't even know soughts those ones out. I watch her and wish I took advantage of my childhood and seized every opportunity to enjoy life.

Adult life is tiring and it offers very limited time to oneself. I spend most of my days at work and worrying with hussles and bassles of looking for money to sustain my family. If only I could turn back the hands of time I would play, sleep , eat and have fun because now I know there is very little to like about adulting.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  9. Ayoma

Ayoma New Member

I miss the old good days. Full of innocence and life. Where you really don't care about status you simply love,play and bond with each other because we are all human beings. You really don't care about tomorrow,you simply live a day at a time. You don't even know about keeping grudges,this minute you are at war with your friend then next minute you the best friends forever. It was only friendship that matter nothing else but love. I miss the old golden days.

10. mdayrit

mdayrit New Member

Everyone surely misses their childhood especially when you are an adult and would need to face a lot of challenges that comes with it. As a child, all you need to worry is how can your mom let you play outside or how you can buy that toy that you really want. I always miss my childhood days whenever that I lack sleep. I remember when I was younger my mother would always ask me to take a nap in the afternoon. It feels like a punishment since all you want to do is to play. But now as an adult, you always lack sleep and taking a nap is like a luxury that you cannot afford. I always wish that I could spend a day lying down my bed whenever I feel like resting.

11. momshyanitz

momshyanitz New Member

My childhood years were the best years of my life. I remembered the time when we don't have to worry about anything. Our only worries are about not having any playmates, not getting the chance to eat ice cream, not allowed to play with my neighbor's toys and stuff like that.
    My childhood is filled with laughter and fun memories with my friends especially our neighbors. We played ropes, outdoor games, hide and seek, and a lot more.
    During the summer season, we often visit the province and go to the beach. We were always excited to go for a swim until we get sunburned. Our cousins usually joined the fun as we play with sand, build castles and write our names on it.
    I remembered the time when we used to play hide and seek at home. My favorite hiding spot is in the closet. My friends had a hard time looking for me.
    I can't forget the time when we picked gumamela (hibiscus) flowers. We made bubbles out of it by crushing the leaves and flowers until the sticky juices come out.
    In our household, I am the eldest among 4 siblings. I used to do more household chores than my brothers and sisters, but my parents would often reward me with candies and ice cream.

12. Bill Arens

Bill Arens New Member

Definitely yes! I'm a 90's kid and I really enjoyed my childhood. Back in those days, we just play in close road streets everyday. What I love the most is the food! I still remember the brands that you won't find in any store nowadays and it brings good memories now. Sadly, kids nowadays are now exposed to Social Media, a type of environment that requires connection online or via internet rather than playing outside and enjoying their childhood.

13. Amanda M

Amanda M New Member

That sounds very different from where I grew up, but it sounds like you did a lot close to nature which is cool.

There are things I miss about being a kid, but overall I like being an adult, although I do wish I had the energy I had in my younger 20's.

14. EZREAL

EZREAL New Member

Of course I miss my childhood days. No Bills to worry, no due dates, no responsibility at all. Life is simpler. Growing up is tough. There were no Facebook yet and high-tech gadgets but life was fun. We play outside for amusement, we make real friends and take a long walk together.

I have good memories in my childhood. My days were full of adventure, even at school. We have a wide open ground where kids can run and play. My classmates and I always celebrate if the teacher is not around so we can play outside. I love how the sun burns my skin. I don’t mind tripping and roll over the muddy ground. Even though I know I will get scolded when I get home by having stinky sweat smell, I don’t worry at all.

I remember when I was 12. I was from the city, my family and I moved in the province so I was a little bit overwhelmed by the nature; green grass, tall trees, clean river and mud roads. My new friends took me to the river, it was indeed clear and clean. My eyes were so busy wandering around God’s beautiful gifts I didn’t know I was already falling to a small falls of the river. My whole body was wet and I was so scared to get scolded by Mom if I’ll come home with wet clothes. But it was an “epic” experience.

I have taken being an adult too seriously and it gets too suffocating sometimes. That’s why I take a break at some point and not pay the bills, just kidding. How I miss the good old days.