IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you post your art on social media?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kathyjj, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Kathyjj

Kathyjj New Member

I think that everyone will agree that there are both advantages and disadvantages of social media. Posting your art on Instagram or Facebook can be a wonderful way to share your art and increase your fanbase, but I feel like it can also be dangerous. Do you ever worry that your art and ideas will be stolen, that people won't give you credit for your work?

I personally love to share my work on Instagram. I have an account related to my art alone and I post there several times a week. I also have a blog where I explain my creative process. So far nothing bad has happened to me, but I want to remain cautious and I would love to hear your opinions and experiences.

2. smee

smee New Member

Me and my husband do handicraft items and paintings.We used to share our latest works in social media and that results in more benefits.Most of our works sold out or booked through this medium.In my view social media has become a powerful tool in the past decade,mainly as a promotional media.It is sure that an active and engaging social media presence will help increase business exposure and probably give a boost your business as well.

3. rodrigofischer

rodrigofischer New Member

I don't produce a lot of art, but when I do it is usually the poetry that I write. When I do it, though, I don't post it on social media because I think my art is not for everybody.

By this I mean I don't feel confortable sharing my poetry with everyone, because by posting it on social media, it almost certainly means that someone yiou don't know will see it. And I only like to share it with my personal friends.

So no, I don't usually post my art on social media.

4. jaklein25

jaklein25 New Member

No I am to shy.

5. kamai

kamai New Member

I'm not an artist myself but if I was I would consider posting it in social media. Getting your art know all around the world is a great advantage since that gives you the possibility to sell your art as mentioned by smee above. It makes it easier to get recognized for your talent and help you interact with other artist. Expressing yourself to strangers, who then become your friends will hype your motivation therefore giving you the need and want to continue what you love doing.

6. Crystal Ross

Crystal Ross New Member

Yes, I post my art on Tumblr. I used it as a way to advertise that it's on sell. If I don't do that, then I won't be able to sell anything. I don't see a way to avoid social media if you want to be a professional artist. There are days that I worry about my artwork being stolen but I'll deal with that when it comes. No art exists in a vacuum and I'll have to decide whether of not they changed it enough to warrant a lawsuit or not.

7. Vishesh

Vishesh New Member

I love posting my artwork on social media websites like facebook, Tumblr, Twitter etc. I enjoy receiving comments about my artwork and criticism. Social media gives me a outlet to connect with other illustrators and artists. I learn about the business of art from social media. I am even learning how to market with social media which is a AMAZING tool. I would love to understand more about how to capitalize of my artwork if anyone has input.

8. Van Gogh

Van Gogh New Member

I think it helps to promote on social media but you don't always get results overnight. I would also say you might want to take a workshop,but when you do connect with other artists, it does help you out. Also when you sell your art online, on sites like zazzle,they have a affiliate program that others can use to promote your products with your art on them.

So when you use social media,people know your out there. They say you have to expose your products to the public over and over, so it can only help.

9. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl New Member

I do. I like to know what people think of my photos and get suggestions on how I can improve my work. It's also a good way to publicize your work and who knows? You might even get clients through social media.

10. peachpurple

peachpurple New Member

I am good at drawing cartoon characters.

So, I usually upload my drawings in my articles at certain writing online sites where my friends could see my drawings.

I am happy that they like my drawings and complimented me for my hidden talent which I didn't know that I had it either.

I should had upload my drawings at social medias but I am shy to do that because they are just cartoon characters, none artistic at all.

Here is one of my Snoopy drawings.

020320146503.jpg

11. komaeda

komaeda New Member

I post my art online pretty often, but because I only post on Twitter (which I have set to private) and Deviantart, you could imagine I don't get a lot of attention on my artwork. I'm not sure if I really want a lot of attention either, I'm still a young artist who has a lot to learn and I'd prefer being known when I myself think I'm good enough at drawing.

12. Ta.S

Ta.S New Member

I am posting my art on some social media networks and blogs and had the same worry, so for that reason I am putting smaller photos of my artworks (where possible) so they can't be reproduced...
    Also, on some sites images are smaller when saving from it whatever size you put.

13. Gad

Gad New Member

One has to look at both sides of the coin.I do pencil portraits and posting on social media,mainly facebook and instagram,really helps me get a good number of clients.

On the flipside,its prone to copying or even stealing from 'art stealers' and reposting with their name.Thats why it's very important to watermark ones pieces before posting online.

14. SimonMadingoKaruk

SimonMadingoKaruk New Member

Truly no art exists in a vacuum. As a musician I upload my music on SoundCloud and I enjoy the feedback I get. It really helps me widen my fan base and I also get to connect with other artists.

15. Anklebiter

Anklebiter New Member

I do it, yes, but right now I have months without posting anything that I do. I love making drawings, that's one of my favorite things in the world. I tried to post my drawings on another sites than Instagram or Facebook, a place called Deviantart, but I didn't receive a lot of attention which made me a little sad, maybe I have so much to learn yet.
    I think that I will only post my art on FB and Instagram, just for my family, close friends, and of course for me, that's all.

16. xXCrimsonskyXx

xXCrimsonskyXx New Member

I, like others, post my art on social media. It helps to get your work out there, and you can easily receive constructive criticism though apps like Deviant Art (which has gone downhill a bit.), Instagram, Facebook, Amino... You name it.

Clearly, posting on social media has its downfalls... Art theft, plagiarism, and more, but some of the issues can be fixed by placing watermarks throughout your images, especially if you do digital work. With traditional work, you can easily protect it in the same way, just snap a picture and use a watermarking app or small art app (such as procreate, ibispaintx, medibang, and so on) to add your digital watermark on your traditional artwork as well.

17. EmmaBubka

EmmaBubka New Member

I've never actually posted any of my artwork on social media before but I am very keen to the idea of it. Sharing your artwork is a good way to get criticism on your work to help you improve. It also can help you easily connect with other artists like you. Yes, there is the possibility that someone could steal your art. That cannot be avoided. Even by stamping your pieces with a watermark, a watermark can easily be photoshopped out. Back to the pros of sharing your art online, it's a good outlet for making money off your work. Lots of possible clients will happen upon your art if you share it.

18. rhonda farley

rhonda farley New Member

I enjoy sharing my finished paintings on Facebook, on my wall. I as well have an art-painting blog, that I have posted all of my finished paintings on. I also have an Etsy account, that I have a few of my paintings listed for sell on. I have listed my artwork on Ebay's selling platform in the past. I have really never given thought to anybody stealing my painting ideas. I just enjoy presenting to the public what I have enjoyed creating.

19. lilacthoughts

lilacthoughts New Member

I agree with perhaps not wanting to draw attention yet! The idea of sharing your art online sounds like a very smart one to me, I see many successful artists who grew their business through social media. For me personally, I feel the same as Komaeda. In my art I still have a lot to learn and posting it online would make me feel rather self conscious and insecure even. This could be quite detrimental to my process and cause me to stop pursuing art at all.

To answer the question, I think sharing your art on social media is a great way to grow a following and start a business but there are definitely downsides to it that should be taken into account.

20. gutzman

gutzman New Member

Hi Kathyjj. I also post my artworks online via Facebook but not all of them. Some of my works are compiled privately just for me to have a soft copy. About the idea of someone stealing the credits for my artwork, I find it only second to my concerns. My first concern is the people's reaction to my drawings. I am not confident with my skills so I don't think people would actually stole the credit from me and I think it is unhealthy to think that way. Just post your artworks to share your talent or skill to everyone. That should be how real artists think. You have that talent for a reason. Once you are able to know the reason behind it then go for it and never hold back. Don't forget to enjoy what you are doing.