IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you prefer cramming right before an exam or studying consistently during the year?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Helen, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Helen

Helen New Member

I'm just curious to see what people think about this particular topic.

For me personally, I try to study consistently throughout the year because I hear it's the most efficient way to learn and to minimise stress. However, I can never seem to maintain the consistency! I usually end up writing notes days before an exam approaches or cramming for an exam minutes before I enter the exam room.

I think it's closely related to our long-term and short-term memory. For me, personally, my short-term memory works well but my long-term memory is fairly bad. I think that's why I tend to prefer cramming rather than consistent study.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I'd appreciate any alternative views.

Thank you!

nosleep3134 likes this.
  2. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome New Member

I generally need to do a moderate mix of both when I am in school.

I try to take notes and pay attention in class then review my notes that night before bed to refresh. I do that regularly to ingrain that day's lesson in my mind. I will review them at the end of the week as well. Before a test, however, I will often still try to cram and study all of the notes and texts in my book as much as possible until it's all I can think about as I try to sleep!

It may be unhealthy to do that as it sometimes will give me a bit of anxiety but it has worked well for me in the past. When I did that in Cosmetology school I would ace all of my tests with near perfect scores.

3. zoomedout

zoomedout New Member

I agree that cramming can be one of the biggest factors in the grades that you get.

Last year, I had practise exams which I didn't study for a couple of months before the real ones. I barely passed most of them. In the three weeks before the real ones, I basically crammed during all my waking hours, often in the garage so I wouldn't have any distractions, and I got really good grades. I am a firm believer in the power of cramming, but I could have eased off on the intensity if I had done more work during the year.

4. AExAVF

AExAVF New Member

Back in high school, I remember cramming during my fourth year. I had this project which is supposed to be due the next day. It also came to my mind that I had to submit additional projects in two other subjects of mine. I worked on my desktop oon-stop, trying to do all my term papers within the time limit. I didn't even sleep, knowing that I will get enough rest once I get everything done. Since then, I stopped cramming and instead devoted myself to studying diligently. Last year, I took a government service licensure examination and passed it, after intensely reviewing for it during the entire 7 months. I also attended review classes as well. Exams of this nature will never be passed through cramming, but through proper discipline. Studying consistently has been more important, and you can never go wrong with planning your strategy.

5. JacqofAll

JacqofAll New Member

When I was younger and prior to starting my family, cramming worked well for me. In fact, I was so good at it that sometimes I wouldn't go to class until exam days and still pass the exam with a high score. However, add a husband and 2 kids to the mix, and suddenly cramming does not work anymore. Cramming is good when you can crash after the exam but if you still have to continue to work and or be a caregiver to others, its not so effective. I now know that my brain can be overloaded so I prefer to be more proactive on things. I have actually decided to return to school, I feel my study habits would be much better now. In general, I believe that studying consistently over time is better than cramming.

6. Muhammad Ameer Khan

Muhammad Ameer Khan New Member

I'm university student and as a student I have to apply both ways to get good marks but cramming is not a good way to learn something everlasting. It's ephemeral and mind goes bare after so I depend on my notes for long time learning. A student who learns by cramming is fit for practical life and he doesn't know perfect what he has studied as compared to a student who studies for learning.

7. Muhammad Ameer Khan

Muhammad Ameer Khan New Member

I'm university student and as a student I have to apply both ways to get good marks but cramming is not a good way to learn something everlasting. It's ephemeral and mind goes bare after so I depend on my notes for long time learning. A student who learns by cramming is fit for practical life and he doesn't know perfect what he has studied as compared to a student who studies for learning.

8. jaz2012

jaz2012 New Member

I don't like the idea of cramming for a test. The better I understand a subject, the easier it will be to study. To me, it is not about memorizing a bunch of facts. It about how well do I understand something. Yes, sometimes a test will ask you something that is fact based, but what will you do when asked to infer or interpret something? Will your mind go blank? I hope something like this doesn't happen.

9. Sikander

Sikander New Member

I never crammed the material of my textbooks except when I was in class prep or class 2.I would prefer to study throughout the year.Although you can select the important or relevant chapters for your exam but study every part of chapter and through the whole year.Especially if the paper is MCQs type then cramming wouldn't help.Cramming helps only to those who are luck enough to get the same question in the paper or whose paper pattern is story type.Otherwise, only luck helps to those people who attempt the paper after cramming all the material of book.

10. maclover68

maclover68 New Member

Here is how I studied for exams and it worked well for me. After class, within a day or two, I would take my notes from the class and make questions base on them. For each class I would keep doing that with the list of questions becoming longer. Before an exam (a few days preferably) I would answer those questions (closed book) as if it were a test. I would then not worry about the questions I knew and answered correctly but would focus studying on the things I got wrong. I would then go back and answer just those questions again. Repeat if necessary. I worked full time, went to school full time and maintained a 4.0 using this approach to studying for exams.

11. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I usually study consistently before the exam to eliminate stress. It is important to get ready for the exam as early as possible. My study habit is usually I take down notes then I review it when I am home. It is very effective for me to study at night when it is nice and quite. My mind is more functioning well at night.

12. Marrose

Marrose New Member

As much as I hate to admit this, I am a procrastinator so I tend to always cram for exams back when I was still a student. The funny thing is, cramming works for me. I got good grades even though I only study for exams at the last minute. I was an honor student and some of my classmates thought that I was cheating on exams because they never actually see me study. I guess, getting good grades would still depend on the study habits of a person. Whatever system works for you, I think you should stick to it. Cramming was an effective method of studying for me that is why it has become my practice. But I really wouldn't recommend it. ;)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  13. Darla78

Darla78 New Member

Studying vs. Cramming... it depends on the individual. Some people can cram and succeed. But I'm one of those people who need to study throughout the year to obtain the success that I need. Reason, I don't want to succeed due to cramming and later on in my career not remember. If I study, I will have the knowledge and obtain it for years to come.

14. Wilsongirl

Wilsongirl New Member

I was always a 'typically' good student. I studied consistently during the semester and never had to cram for an exam. When a student engage in 'cramming' they usually forget most of the content immediately after the exam. As a result I advise against this especially if you're in a field that requires you to know a lot of content, like medicine or even engineering. How can a student that cram throughout University survive in the world of work when they are expected to reproduce previous knowledge. This a bad practice that should be ill-advised.

15. Catie Hutchens

Catie Hutchens New Member

In school I was a big believer in cramming right before a big test. Now that I am older though I have realized that is not the smartest option. You will do good on your test but two days later you will not remember a thing. I recommend studying some everyday and actually learning the material. It will pay off in the long run. Hope this helps!

16. vivek

vivek New Member

I came to know that 95% of people prefer studying consistently by these posts.This is a good thing and I also prefer this way of study which I think is the best way to study.
    I had experienced both cramming and studying consistently during my school days.Cramming gives you grade but studying consistently gives you the most valuable treasure, knowledge, which would be serving you throughout the life.So, guys its your choice to be a real intelligent fellow or to be only a grade scorer(loser).

17. herdaybiesie

herdaybiesie New Member

Cramming is not really a good idea when studying, even though it could help a student pass exams. Studying is not only about passing exams and graduating with good grades, you have to understand what you study in school because life after school is not always as perfect as we portrait it to be. There is real competition out there and you have to prepare for it and cramming won't be enough to survive out there because it wouldn't last long.

18. paoliita

paoliita New Member

I really prefer to study constantly throughout the year, I think it is the best way to learn. Study all in one moment, will make that the information just remain in the medium-term memory, whereas if you study gradually, with understanding and exemplification of each of the things being learned theoretically, will remain longer in the memory.

To me, that is the goal of study, learn really everything that was studied, that means being able to remember long after when it is necessary, even if is not every day or have to cool it a bit, well learned never forget and that ensure an excellent professional.

19. Ireca Sims

Ireca Sims New Member

I am like you. I do both. I study consistently throughout the year, but I also study/cram before an exam. I don't like to take test so there is a little panic going on when I am studying the night before. Sometimes that makes my memory worse because I end up overthinking everything. But the realization of studying over the course of the year helps me to recognize that I am really learning it. When I come across the information again without being tested, I can recall the information that I took the time and studied.

20. Senia

Senia New Member

I have trouble retaining information so I record as much as I can,then whenever im alone in the car ,sunbathing,long bath ,or just lounging I turn it on and listen .I feel I retain it so much better if I listen to it over and over .this way I remember it years later, rather than just test day