IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you prefer to go to the gym or workout at home?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by blueleaf, Apr 15, 2015.

1. jainish

jainish New Member

I used to go to the gym but now I prefer to workout at home rather than going to gym as it saves alot of money. I have invested all the money which i saved from my gym membership to purchase equipments like treadmill, dumbell sets, weights. Now I workout at home whenever i have free time during the day.

2. PDUNCAN123

PDUNCAN123 New Member

I really enjoy going to the gym, and prefer the gym to just working out at my house. The first reason why I prefer the gym is because their is so much more equipment there compared to what's at my house. The other reason I prefer the gym rather than my house, is because I like having conversations with the people in the gym.

3. itsmeagain

itsmeagain New Member

I work out at home but if gym membership would have been a lot cheaper, I'd prefer going to the gym because it would motivate you better. Working out at home would be cheaper but sometimes we can only perform limited number of exercises due to limited equipment. When working out at home, I only use dumbbells, barbells and bench to perform different kinds of exercises targeting different parts of my body. I'd still prefer going to the gym but if you have a tight budget like me, then you can just buy your own weights equipment for weight training and just jog around the block for cardio.

4. arrhen fej

arrhen fej New Member

I love working out at home because it is easy and convenient, but the gym is by far way better than working out at home. At the gym, there are so many stations and different workout equipment to engage in. At home, you have to do only bodily exercises with little to no weight available. At home, you may get tired and decide to rest and become lazy. At the gym, you are forced to workout because you are already there and not in the convenience of your home.

5. helpinghand

helpinghand New Member

I prefer to do exercise at home or in an open area. If the place is surrounded by plants and trees, it will be great. I do half an hour exercise daily early morning. Then I can have some fresh air which really rejuvenate my body and mind.

I do not take help of any machines for this. I do yoga, which is really good for body and soul. It includes a number of breathing exercises too, which really refreshes you. Moreover, for strengthening my muscles I do other common exercises like push-ups, crunches etc. But for doing yoga it is better to learn it from a yoga teacher.

6. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 New Member

I do like the fact that I can workout at home but I prefer the gym. The gym keeps you accountable for yourself. When I go to the gym I push myself much harder than I would at home. The gym just puts me in a mental state of wanting to work out harder.

7. master

master New Member

I used to go to gym but it costed too much so I stopped going. It costs about £60 per month which is too much for me. I really enjoyed the running machine and atmosphere but now I have my own equipment and workout at home. Although, my equipment is no where as good as the gym's facilities, it is enough for me to get fit.

8. stefan

stefan New Member

The gym offers lots more options compared to your home, if you find an affordable price for about 300 dollars per year, then i would say that going to the gym absolutely destroys home workouts. Home workouts are only good for body weight workouts, if you want to build more muscle, you have to work with extra weight, that is something that the gym can be used for. Also, since my gym has a lot of different equipment, like bikes, jump rope and other, i can do more than just the regular gym exercises. You are definitely limited when working out from home, the only thing that home workouts are good for is ab-workouts. If you are really rich and can get the regular gym equipment in your home, then i would say that home workouts are better then.

9. iJas

iJas New Member

I prefer to workout in the gym. I like being in an environment where everybody has the same energy and determination. The gym is like a community within itself. There is a constant flow of motivation, being able to see where others are in their journey. Also a reminder that you are not alone.

At home there are so many distractions, it sort of a trap. Working out in a gym allow you to learn how to use machines differently, and even gives opportunity to meet "workout buddies".

Get Out, Get Fit!

10. psyduck

psyduck New Member

I second you on that. I also enjoy working out at my home as I don't have the trouble of being judged by others. I am more of an alone person and because of that, working out at home is a lot better for me. The timings are also flexible since I'm not under the control of anyone else. There are days where I'll be tired and I can simply give myself a rest for that day. It is also a lot more comfortable when I'm working out at my house. I also have the convenience of listening to music or watching television while I work out.

Everyone has their own opinion, some people might be comfortable working at the gym and some people might find their house a lot more comfortable. Ultimately, I feel the place doesn't matter. The fact that you're working out matters.

11. aggelosst9

aggelosst9 New Member

I tried working out at home the other day. Started lifting weights, and the next thing I know is me sitting on the couch in my underwear watching Friends with a meatball sandwich on my hands. I just can't workout If I know that there isn't somebody to watch me.

That's the reason I signed up for a gym subscription in March. It was not a very reasonable price, something like $495 a year, but I have started to see the results. It is one of the greatest decision I have ever made, and I meet a lot of young ladies there..;)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  12. cheryl

cheryl New Member

I would rather workout at home. I don't like having to drive anywhere to workout all the time. I used to have to go somewhere to walk, but now I have an exercise bike I can use here. I also don't have many clothes that fit me now that I gained a lot of weight back, so it's easier just to exercise at home for that reason alone.

13. Haydian

Haydian New Member

I work out at home and I find that it has its ups and down. When I was going to the gym, I was getting more done with faster results. At home, I work out when I feel like and sometimes put if off for days. When I was going to the gym, I would go there every day because it was extremely more encouraging to go there. I am still working out at home, but I prefer going back to the gym.

It is quite evident there is a time and place for everything.:cool:

14. Garaabae

Garaabae New Member

Exercise is important to one's well being ideally you want to do it in a gym but you have to pay for membership. I do work out and since I don't want to pay a gym instructor I work out at home. I open Youtube and study work out routines, my favorite is HIIT ( High Intensity Interval Training). These work outs are relatively short but you will surely break a sweat within minutes. I usually do a fifteen minute routine not including warm ups. Please do include core exercises as well.

15. Ahmed

Ahmed New Member

I prefer going to the gym than workout at home. As their needs to be a trainer to guide us to the does and don't. Their is a lot of difference in going to the gym, because not only do you get fit but also you get motivated by the hard work and dedications of the people, and the trainers who come to the gym. So i would go to the gym rather than working out at home.

16. Peter97

Peter97 New Member

The one big problem with home workouts, is that the variety of workouts that you can actually do is very limited. As a regular gym user, I like to train all parts of my body, and access to a wide variety of equipment by the gym lets me do that. Whereas, at home I'd maily have to be doing own body weight exercises such as pullups (which by the way, I am very bad at) and pressups, which I'm not that great at either.

On the other hand, home workouts can be much less stressful, and more relaxing. As I'm quite skinny, its sometimes quite awkward struggling with small weights such as 40kg, and then seeing someone next to you easily lift twice that. Furthermore, at home you don't need to worry about people judging you etc.

17. shygal

shygal New Member

I prefer to workout in the privacy of my own home. Putting on a workout dvd or even a Youtube video workout. There is a fitness center on the premises where I live that is free for the residents to use, but I'd rather just avoid the creepy maintenance man that hangs out around there. The very thought of people sweating all over fitness machines in the gym is very unappealing to me.

18. kswan

kswan New Member

I prefer to work out at home. I joined gyms in the past and I end up wasting my money. Working out at home is free and I don't have to worry about going out when the weather is bad. When I am at the gym sometimes I feel uncomfortable. At home I can work out and not feel like I am being watched.

19. ray

ray New Member

content

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  20. sumi

sumi New Member

I prefer doing my workouts away from polluted atmosphere in an open area. I reach there by driving my scooter and begin my workouts after properly warming up. I spend almost 30 minutes jogging and walking at a brisk pace. Later, after warming down I spend few minutes with other members gathered at a particular place for a laughter therapy.

That's about all I do for my morning workouts. I spend few minutes at my company's in-house gym practicing mild Yoga Exercises during lunch break.