IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you sleep next to your phone?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by tesky, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Barbara

Barbara New Member

Yes, I always sleep next to my phone. First, It happens because I use the clock alarm of my cellphone to wake me up. Second, I confess I love social media. Every night before fall sleep, I check my Instagram, Facebook and specially Snapchat. I love all the options that the Snapchat offers me. Besides, the United States for more than a year, I made good friends there and I can keep in touching with them by all

2. Poehere

Poehere New Member

I have never considered sleeping next to my phone. I would rather have a peaceful night's sleep. I don't want to worry about a phone call or message once I go to bed. After a certain hour in the evening I turn off my phone. I feel that a person can call my landline if it's important. I don't like answering my phone at night and I can easily find all my missed calls and messages in he morning.

3. Cassie Hughes

Cassie Hughes New Member

My phone is always on my nightstand as I also use it for my alarm clock. I love that I can set several alarms and wake up gradually. It is much better than using the snooze button even though I do that as well. If my alarm clock were not also my phone, I probably would have already destroyed it by now. As far as it causing cancer, at some point, everything we have ever used or eaten has caused cancer. I honestly think they make some of this stuff up.

4. LeaJude

LeaJude New Member

Yes, I am guilty of this filthy habit. I read a lot about the dangers of sleeping next to your phone, but when I go to sleep I'm usually too exhausted to care.

5. ismailf42

ismailf42 New Member

I generally keep my phone next to me. I know, I must not do that, but I am sometimes lazy to take the phone to out of the bed room :D

6. Friclya

Friclya New Member

Yeah! I keep my smartphone with me while sleeping. I got the point that we should not sleep right next to our phone but in hostel I can't keep my phone away from me as my room is in sharing. I will look into this problem and would definitely find a cure to my bad habit but I don't think that it can cause cancer to someone. Please correct me if I'm wrong.:oops:

7. John129

John129 New Member

I'm happy to know that, like me, most of you guys are lazy.:p I am well aware of the fact that keeping my phone close to me while sleeping is not at all a good habit, but I still continue to do that mainly because of the following reasons. First, I really hate going to my desk to attend calls or to read notifications when I'm on the bed. The more painful case is when I have to get up and walk all the way to my desk in order to turn the alarm off.

8. luisalex96

luisalex96 New Member

I admit. My cell phone sits beside my bed on an end table while I sleep. I set it to don't exasperate mode amid dozing hours, however then it springs up as my wake up timer each morning

And yes, I generally rest beside my telephone. To begin with, It happens in light of the fact that I utilize the clock caution of my cellphone to wake me up. Second, I admit I adore online networking. Each prior night fall rest, I check my Facebook and Whatsapp.

It is the best and most effortless to utilize wake up timer and its versatile. I never need to set my alarm going to bed. Love it. I keep my telephone convenient on the off chance that any family or work emergency. I do get my telephone first when awakening as I check any messages while in transit to the espresso pot. I wish I had an application on my telephone to begin my espresso pot, as my wake up times shift.

9. badbojus

badbojus New Member

I do sleep with my phone, I had a job where you never know when you will need to wake up and go to work, since it was snow cleaning from roads. While you are sleeping suddenly my boss was calling and informing that I need to wake up and drive clean the snow. That job was pretty hard. I didn't slept for like a week, i ended up with loosing my job. But anyway now I am happy about that... It was just not to me. :)

10. brigada

brigada New Member

Experts Do Not Recommend Sleeping with a Cell Phone under your Pillow. The reason is just a small part of a much larger debate on the subject of cellphone radiation. Some information seems to indicate that mobilephones may have an adverse effect on the brain, yet it remains unknown wheter cellphone use is linked with brain tumors or brain cancer.

11. Trayon Thomas

Trayon Thomas New Member

Yes I do sleep next to my phone like every night it's like my personal child that I always look after. I use my phone for an alarm in the morning so I keep it close. My phone is very valuable I sleep next to it because I feel I need to. Though sometimes the alarm runs me crazy but I don't care.

12. djwheel

djwheel New Member

I know that you shouldn't keep the phone near your head, but then you shouldn't be consuming simple sugars or watching tv for too long either. :D I sometimes do keep it next to me when I'm sleeping, but only sometimes. Usually, I keep my phone on the computer table, about 9 feet away from me during the night. Its not because of health concerns, rather because that is the only time I can charge my phone. If I don't charge it during the night, it will be dead the next day, probably by noon. And that would not be a good thing for me or my work. However, I do keep my tablet close to me, because every night I get these crazy ideas or questions, and some of them simply can't wait until morning. So, I use my tablet to surf the internet. I should also point out that I do not use fb or other social apps on my tab, and that's why I don't feel distracted during the night.

13. dumitru

dumitru New Member

Yes I sleep next to my phone and I do not think this can affect my health. Phone wakes me up to go to work, the phone keeps me in touch with others, much of social life is spent on the phone. I think that nowadays the phone is not only our lives but part of us.

14. fortis15

fortis15 New Member

We use our phone for so many activities today: listening to music, watching videos, photos, learning, calculating, working...but the amount of time spent doing things over the phone can sometimes cause a concern when it comes to health. think of your eyes. Spending too much time looking at a phone can make your eyes tired. If that happens, a protective screen or reading glasses may help greatly.

15. BigDreamer

BigDreamer New Member

I keep my phone on my nightstand because I use it as an alarm clock.
    I also use it as a flashlight if the power goes out.

16. jerlanalves

jerlanalves New Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  17. Gemini8787

Gemini8787 New Member

That's interesting about all the medical symptoms Asra mentions in the post above. I've never heard there was anything negative associated with sleeping next to your phone. I only sleep next to it because I use it as an alarm clock. If it didn't have that feature, I would probably just leave it charging elsewhere.

18. darkfran85

darkfran85 New Member

It can be a risk, but certainly sleep with the phone can be normal in some people, I have no such custom
    fortunately.

19. iqmaldanial

iqmaldanial New Member

Same for me. It's much easier to use our phone as a wake up alarm device. Unfortunately, I now know that this is one bad habit for my health. So thank you for the information from this thread!

20. Shivam Roopam

Shivam Roopam New Member

Yes, I sleep next to my phone, provided the light from the screen doesn't disturb you, a switched on mobile phone a foot away from your head will have no impact on your physical or mental health, apart from the potential anxiety caused by knowing the ring might disturb you if someone calls.

Multiple provocation studies show that there are no symptoms identifiable from those tiny levels of radiation, and there is no theoretical model in which such a phone could have any effect. The provocation studies place people who claim they are sensitive to that radiation with either a real device or a dummy. They show symptoms independent of whether the device is real or not, indicating an entirely psychological cause.

It is worth noting that the radiation from a phone (either from the Wi-Fi or the phone signal) is in the microwave part of the spectrum, and is not ionizing radiation. Ionizing radiation is the stuff from uranium and the like, and it causes cancer and genetic damage. Mobile phones produce exactly none of it. The worst they can do is very slightly warm up something near it.

There are many, many poor souls who suffer a 'nocebo' effect from the EM radiation from electronic devices, but it is purely psychological.