IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

does the kind of music you listen affect your children

Discussion in 'Music' started by davidwachira, Nov 27, 2017.

1. davidwachira

davidwachira New Member

The kind of music you listen to affect your children.When you listen to music with good message the same is passed to your children.This especially so if the children are in their formative ages.
    We all know that children learn everything from their environment.

It is important therefore to listen to music with good message so as to bring up well behaved children.

2. Bloomsie

Bloomsie New Member

As a preschool teacher, music 100% affects the child. I have taught 2-year-olds and played a slow-sounding song resulting in a couple children crying because it makes them feel sad. Children truly do feel the effects of music and it is important to play music that is very relate-able and ideal for their development. Currently, I am teaching a six-year-old how to sing and I ask them to pick a popular song that they listen on the radio. The child is listening to Sean Paul's Temperature. I laughed the first time the child told me, but realized that it really isn't a song that he should be singing, let alone memorizing the words to.

I believe that depending on the child through their development and age, some kids will understand the lyrics, but most of them won't. Music does not necessarily change their behavior, but it does affect their feelings the moment they are listening.

3. wanyonyi chrispin

wanyonyi chrispin New Member

The environment that children are exposed to will always have an impact on those children's lives. Music is part of the elements that make up an environment. As a parent,you will always have an influence on your children. Your chidren,especially at a tender age,believe in you,and they believe that everything you do is right. They will want to behave like you and do the things you do.
    Be careful with the things yo do when in close contact with your children,including the music you listen to,because you are a role model to them. If you listen to music with explicit lyrics,your kids will grow up believing that it is the right music to listen to,because, after all,daddy and mummy are listening to it.
    So the kind of music you listen to will always have an impact on your children.

4. Xmerian

Xmerian New Member

Yes, it definitely does. Music plays an important role in the socialization of children and adolescents. Popular music is present almost everywhere, and it is easily available through the radio, various recordings, the Internet, and new technologies, allowing children to hear it in diverse settings and situations, alone or shared with parents. Parents often are unaware of the lyrics to which their children are listening because of ignorance.

Popular music has its effects on schoolwork, social interactions, mood and particularly behavior. The effect that popular music has on children's and behavior and emotions is of paramount concern. Lyrics have become more explicit in their references to drugs, sex, and violence over the years, particularly in certain genres like Hip Hop and Dancehall music. Exposure to violence, sexual messages, sexual stereotypes and use of substances of abuse in music videos might produce significant changes in behaviors and attitudes of children.

So as parents we should be cautious on what music we listen to in the presence of our children.