IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Fact or Fiction? Where does real numbers end and imaginary numbers begin?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Labgirl, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Labgirl

Labgirl New Member

Pure mathematics introduces us to the concept of imaginary numbers. The question is , if a number is imaginary how is it possible to have a supposed result?

2. Daniella

Daniella New Member

Imaginary numbers are invented to help solve certain problems. i is one of them. any number with a minus in front of it can't be real in the real world either.
    The number i is in -1 when it is itself times 2. Meaning i2=-1
    These numbers are great to have though because for example numbers with a minus in front of them lets us know how much is missing. So imaginary numbers are there to help us better our understanding even if they aren't real.

3. Deann Kitty

Deann Kitty New Member

Real numbers range from negative infinity to positive infinity, and they are plotted on the X-axis of the Cartesian plane. However, in real-life situations, negatives don't exist, but they are just assumed to replace the absence of a certain quantity. Since mathematics is used to quantify scenarios and develop solutions, some quantities need to considered as negative to find the answer.

However, in Mathematics, we find problems in finding square roots of negative values, and this calls for another set of numbers called imaginary numbers. Through imaginary numbers, we can find solutions to mathematical problems involving the roots of negative numbers. Here is when a symbol 'i ' or ' j' comes in to represent a square root of negative one (-1) that removes the negative effect from a negative value making it possible to solve using ordinary methods and formulae.

The imaginary numbers are plotted on the Y-axis of the Cartesian Plane.