IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Fantasies, the best television genre.

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Allan Cribz, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Allan Cribz

Allan Cribz New Member

As a psychological phenomenon, the term "fantasy" refers to our unconscious desires (dreams, daydreams, wishes). For this reason, fantasy stories are perhaps the type of fiction most amenable to psychoanalytic interpretations.

From Lord of The Rings to Harry Potter to I believe our most favourite Game of Thrones fantasies have proven to be a reliable entertainment genre that makes explicit what society rejects or refuses to acknowledge.

2. Eryn

Eryn New Member

I am a lifelong and very dedicated reader of science fiction and fantasy. I certainly agree fantasy provides a mirror to important concepts in reality. Game of Thrones is a truly amazing achievement. It is the first television series to truly capture the story created by the author. Attempts to bring fantasy fiction into television in the past have been dismal failures while the movies based on the genre have generally accomplished their goal. I am not so certain I agree with the assessment of fantasy as a reliable entertainment genre to make anything explicit. Fantasy did not become a popular genre in mainstream society before the popular movies and TV shows. A wealth of talented authors and unforgettable sagas exist within the genre yet most people claiming to be fans will never read these books. I have noticed a much more negative trend. Young adult novels focusing only superficially on vampires, werewolves, and other fantastic concepts are rapidly gaining popularity while the truly great novels of real fantasy are not being read. I find it very sad and disappointing that mainstream society was introduced to a great genre bursting at the seams with exceptional literature and still chose young adult novels using themes found in fantasy to thinly disguise a plot which is little more than teenage romantic drama.