IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Gaining muscle, but struggling with losing fat.

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by jamesyu, May 22, 2016.

1. jamesyu

jamesyu New Member

I am currently 5'4 and about 156 lbs. I try not to weigh myself very often because it's just way too depressing. I own horses and ride 3-5 times a week, 30 minutes to an hour each time, on top of that I jog 3 times a week for nearly 2 miles. I can tell that I have better musculature, but I don't appear to be losing the fat that I have. I am on a calorie diet, about 1370 calories a day, normally I get nowhere I eat meat close to that, I stay hydrated and try to eat lots of fiber and veggies, I eat meat but attempt to get 90% lean meat. I am incredibly unhappy with how I look and discover it hard to stay motivated when seeing the results is such a slow process.

Does anyone have any advice for losing fat and seeing better muscle definition and actually striking down some pounds? I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but my goal weight is 130 lbs, I'm short, so I feel this would be a stellar weight for me.

Food and exercise ideas would be welcomed thanks.

2. PnkyBrewster

PnkyBrewster New Member

I had a similar problem when I first started trying to lose weight, I was eating "right" and working out quite a bit. Even though i was doing everything the right I wasn't losing weight, fortunately I was just starting my first nutrition class in college and was able to implement some of the things I was learning there into my weight loss venture. Through a project we had to do in this class I became aware that I was not consuming the correct amount of calories. My intake was too low and I didn't start seeing results until I increased my calories like my trainer kept telling me to do. If your calories are too low your body goes into starvation mode and retains what little you give for fuel.

3. rz3300

rz3300 New Member

I am pretty sure that this is something that a lot of people go through, and abs really come to mind as a good example. Everyone wants that six pack but you have to remember that no matter how much muscle you have, as long as that fat is sitting right on top of it you are never going to be able to see anything. It just goes to show the importance of both, and a good balance in the workout.

4. Tofindwithvalue

Tofindwithvalue New Member

If there was someone wanting to lose weight, maybe adding in more aerobic exercise could allow more healthy weight. Also including more fruits and vegetables in a diet for less possible weight gain from carbohydrates. If the previously mentioned tasks were done for at least a few months, there could be more results.

5. jakejake

jakejake New Member

Just do your cardio and walaaa youre already fit