IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Games And Animation(For dummy)

Discussion in 'Programming' started by danspartan, Jun 26, 2017.

1. danspartan

danspartan New Member

Hello everyone, just a heads up, basically i have no knowledge about programming, scripting or anything related to those.
    But i am truly interested in games development and animation and would love to learn on how to do it. So any tips on where i should start? I don't expect for you guys to teach me right here. I'm looking for something like, what should i learn, what i shouldn't(scripting, animating, etc). What should i use and what to avoid. Any kind of tips or help would be truly helpful. Explain everything like i just came out of a cave from 20 years of hibernation lol

(currently i'm using studio.code.org, is it a good web to learnt?)

2. zenJ

zenJ New Member

I can't help you too much with animation, but I know that Blender is a good and (I believe) free software which can be used for animation and level design. It's certainly better than level design tools you can find in Unity. Which brings me to my forte, the programming. Unity is a great engine and you can do a lot as it's very intuitive, but it uses the C# language which is on a higher end of complexity when it comes to programming language.

My suggestion is to pick a language (it can be C#, there's nothing wrong with that as your first language, it can just be a little hard), and use it to learn basic stuff about programming. Things like variables, arrays, functions, objects can be tough to grasp, especially for a complete beginner so give yourself time and allow yourself to progress slowly.

The book I started with is called Learn Python the Hard Way by Zed Shaw and it's, as you can guess, about Python which is a pretty robust language, but it's pretty straightforward and can really help you grasp the programming basics.

3. Azrile

Azrile New Member

This is a really easy one. Download Unity ( free ) and then go to their ´learn´ section and they will walk you through how to make a bunch of games. Probably like 5-10 on the official Unity site, and they give you all the graphics and models you need. Then go to Youtube and search for Unity game tutorials and there are probably a dozen really good teachers who will do exactly what Unity does on the learn section. They will walk you completely through making a game. There are probably over a hundred different games you can make just by following the tutorials on Youtube. Do a couple simple games first, then do a tutorial of a game that is similar to what you actually want to make. Youtube is crazy good for learning to make games, and it is all free.

4. pixelex

pixelex New Member

Unity all the way. It's a simple drag and drop design with minimal programming, there are thousands of tutorials, and all the programming is in the easy to use C#.

5. Eli

Eli New Member

Hello! I have some advice that's not about a programming language. Instead, I'm going to recommend that you use a program like GameMaker. Now, I haven't used a program like this in quite a while, so I can't recommend a specific title. But I personally think it's the best and easiest way to start programming your own games.

Now, you will definitely need to learn a programming language at some point. C# or Java would be good to learn. But languages like those take a while to learn, and it can be months or years before the project you want to build gets off the ground.

If you're new to programming, one of the hardest things to understand can be the concepts. By using graphics instead of words, programs like GameMaker explain these concepts, and let you get a feel for them, in a much more intuitive way. It makes way more sense to understand that you have groups of balls that all bounce, for example, than a class of objects called balls that all have a function bounce. While those two mean the same thing, one is in much plainer English than the other. Good luck with your attempts. Keep us updated on your progress!